Physics/Motion/Mathmatics

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:27 am
Logic dictates that if you are moving at a velocity, say 100 mph (could be any measure of speed) that in order to reach 0 mph (or what ever measure) a defined physic state, that your velocity must be measurable at half what it was..again on your way to avelocity of zero. There is no way to go from 100 mph to 0 mph, without first traveling 50 mph...and then 25 mph and then 12.5 mph..till Infiniti. Since every number is divisible, how can you ever reach Zero mph...a full stop?

georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:40 am
This is merely a restatement of one of Xeno's paradoxes (Achilles & the tortoise). Aristotle addressed it rather well. A little elementary calculus will give you the real solution.
Mike415879

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:47 am
@georgeob1,
Really wasn't aware of Xeno's paradoxes...wasn't trying to stump anyone--was really looking for a plain english answer to a question--I can't answer...I didn't read the question anywhere, but am smart enough to know that I wasn't the first one to think of it. Again--just wondered if there was a plain english ( read non calculus) answer..
georgeob1

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:19 am
@Mike415879,
Mike415879 wrote:

Really wasn't aware of Xeno's paradoxes...wasn't trying to stump anyone--was really looking for a plain english answer to a question--I can't answer...I didn't read the question anywhere, but am smart enough to know that I wasn't the first one to think of it. Again--just wondered if there was a plain english ( read non calculus) answer..

OK, without calculus -- consider the infinite series 1+ 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ....

This series has an infinite number of terms, each equal to 1/2 raised to an integer power.

The sequence of partial sums of the first N terms in this series gets closer to the number 2 as N inccreases, but never exceeds this value. In mathematical parlance the sequence is said "to converge" on the number , 2. Equivalently the infinite series above is said to equal two.

It is easy to visualize this on a number line.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:15 am
Because you spend an infinitessimal amount of time at an infinite number of speeds. The real number system is continuous, and there is always a number between any two that you specify. So what?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:43 am
@Mike415879,
I don't go from 100mph to 0. Instead I go from 100mph to full reverse (that is -100mph).

Now half way between betwen 100 mph and -100 mph is 0... so I just let it rest there.

(
0 Replies