How much do those guys on the street corners make?

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 01:56 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I used to be disgusted by these people begging, until I realized that they're actually selling something.

They're selling satisfaction. If you believe that you're actually helping them, then you give these people a couple of bucks and walk away feeling good about yourself.

yeah, it is satisfying to give to someone that needs what you can offer.

couple of winters ago I had a bunch of extra blankets from something involved with work. I didn't really think about them until we had one of those bad wet cold snaps that was going to turn to ice during the night. I was going to take them to a shelter, but on the way there, going through downtown I spotted a shopping cart lady. Little bit of a thing she was. Elderly, not a crack head. I stopped to ask if she needed a couple of blankets (her cart didn't have blankets that I could see, just her clothes and stuff) which she was glad to accept. She saw I had more, and she said she could give them to people who would not want to go to the shelter. I thought that sounded right, and I could tell this woman was a good person. I'm sure the people who chose to stay on the street that night enjoyed them.

yes, that did feel good.

What didn't feel good was when my husband hired this guy who put in a bodaccous days work. What you would have expected from 2 guys. He came back the next day and worked just as hard. I had made a turkey and invited him to sit at our table and enjoy.

He didn't show up the next day, and my husband worked by himself. The day after when wally when to unlock the shed to get his tools out for the day, the locks had been cut and $10K worth of tools were gone. Thank God we were insured. That night before, I had thought I heard something in the backyard, but was 3/4's asleep.

The man sat at our table and ate with us. That's what pissed me off the worst.

I wished we had broken glass all over the back yards, and trip wires set up.
NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 01:58 pm
I was also offered a BJ for ten dollars. Sadly, I was in a hurry and had to turn it down.
mismi

@chai2,
Oh that makes me sad Chai. Yuck...bad experience.
0 Replies

mismi

@NickFun,
Quote:
I was also offered a BJ for ten dollars. Sadly, I was in a hurry and had to turn it down.

yeah right.
NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 03:56 pm
@mismi,
It's true mismi. She approached my car and said "would you like a nice blow job? Only ten dollars!"

I replied, "lady that's a real good price but I have a meeting to get to".

The honest truth!

(And I was involved with someone at the time so I could get them for free.)
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 05:06 pm
In a month that off-ramp panhandler might be me.

I've been looking for a job almost continuously for the last four months--had two interviews and nothing. Things are getting pretty desperate.

Thinking of a Sign that reads.

Once I built A-bombs that outshined the Sun
That kept the World from blowing up
Now I'm looking for any menial job
Buddy can you spare a buck.

Rap
chai2

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:08 pm
@raprap,
Do you have a dog that does tricks?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:43 pm
@chai2,
yeah after all, one must be mindful of their personal hygiene at all times....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:47 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

I used to be disgusted by these people begging, until I realized that they're actually selling something.

They're selling satisfaction. If you believe that you're actually helping them, then you give these people a couple of bucks and walk away feeling good about yourself.

yeah, it is satisfying to give to someone that needs what you can offer.

couple of winters ago I had a bunch of extra blankets from something involved with work. I didn't really think about them until we had one of those bad wet cold snaps that was going to turn to ice during the night. I was going to take them to a shelter, but on the way there, going through downtown I spotted a shopping cart lady. Little bit of a thing she was. Elderly, not a crack head. I stopped to ask if she needed a couple of blankets (her cart didn't have blankets that I could see, just her clothes and stuff) which she was glad to accept. She saw I had more, and she said she could give them to people who would not want to go to the shelter. I thought that sounded right, and I could tell this woman was a good person. I'm sure the people who chose to stay on the street that night enjoyed them.

yes, that did feel good.

What didn't feel good was when my husband hired this guy who put in a bodaccous days work. What you would have expected from 2 guys. He came back the next day and worked just as hard. I had made a turkey and invited him to sit at our table and enjoy.

He didn't show up the next day, and my husband worked by himself. The day after when wally when to unlock the shed to get his tools out for the day, the locks had been cut and $10K worth of tools were gone. Thank God we were insured. That night before, I had thought I heard something in the backyard, but was 3/4's asleep.

The man sat at our table and ate with us. That's what pissed me off the worst.

I wished we had broken glass all over the back yards, and trip wires set up.

It doesn'tchange the fact that you guys did a good thing... it's written in the book of life and you can carry on with the warm fuzzy feeling that you're going to heaven and this guy will burn forever in the fiery pit... now roll down your hose and let's do the superior dance Wink Mr. Green
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:40 pm
@chai2,
Can't afford a dog and really wouldn't want one on the streets anyway, too dangerous for the dog. What I really want is work.

Its strange but lately I've been standing on a street corner adjacent to the local FOX affiliate and club juggling while standing next to a sign saying that I have skills and need work and handing out resume's. Busking for work I consider it, a rationalization to prevent me from thinking I've degraded to the level of panhandling and hoping to air my plight on the 11 O'Clock news.

A couple of days ago one of those street corner panhandlers asked what my sign said.

When I told him I was in desperate need of work he said "I got a job. I have this." and he held up his cardboard sign.

Then he said, "But I've worked enough, now I'm going to get as drunk as ten bears."

Since then I've been thinking seriously about panhandling. After all if your ambition is to garner enough money to get drunk as ten bears--it has made me realize that his success comes far easier than my fruitless attempts at finding work.

So perhaps I need a small dog that does tricks.

Rap
2PacksAday

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 10:28 pm
@raprap,
Hope you get things sorted out Rap.
0 Replies

gtrxtc

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:49 am
@chai2,
Once upon a time in Baltimore, a lady pushing a shopping cart asked me for ten bucks for a taxi. I asked, "Whatever happened to a quarter for a bus?"
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 11:11 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Can't afford a dog and really wouldn't want one on the streets anyway, too dangerous for the dog. What I really want is work.

Its strange but lately I've been standing on a street corner adjacent to the local FOX affiliate and club juggling while standing next to a sign saying that I have skills and need work and handing out resume's. Busking for work I consider it, a rationalization to prevent me from thinking I've degraded to the level of panhandling and hoping to air my plight on the 11 O'Clock news.

A couple of days ago one of those street corner panhandlers asked what my sign said.

When I told him I was in desperate need of work he said "I got a job. I have this." and he held up his cardboard sign.

Then he said, "But I've worked enough, now I'm going to get as drunk as ten bears."

Since then I've been thinking seriously about panhandling. After all if your ambition is to garner enough money to get drunk as ten bears--it has made me realize that his success comes far easier than my fruitless attempts at finding work.

So perhaps I need a small dog that does tricks.

Rap

Rap, that's funny that you brought up juggling, because I was actually going to say a post or 2 back that if people had skills, like juggling, it's like you'd be providing entertainment.
Then I figured not that many people have that skill....you do.

You know how violin players will play down in the subway, or on the corner, case open and people putting money in it? I've seen people stop to listen for a minute before putting money in, others drop in their coins/dollars while walking by.
I consider these people providing a service. Hearing them brings beauty to those around them, can change moods, or just provide a momentary distraction. They're doing something for their money, not just standing around.
Why not put a box there and a few of your own dollars and coins in it, and see what happens?

Get yourself some kind of schtick, a jesters hat, matching blanket that forms your stage. Put up a sign that you give lessons/that you are looking for other work/please take my resume, etc.
People will see your not some panhandler looking for booze money, but someone putting effort into their search for a living..

I don't know about this guy in the video, but the people in the car certainly wanted to pay him for his entertainment.

Izzie

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 02:48 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

You know how violin players will play down in the subway, or on the corner, case open and people putting money in it? I've seen people stop to listen for a minute before putting money in, others drop in their coins/dollars while walking by.
I consider these people providing a service. Hearing them brings beauty to those around them, can change moods, or just provide a momentary distraction. They're doing something for their money, not just standing around.

Shocked funny you should say that Chai...

Today I was in the city.... there were lots of buskers - and they were fabulous - the chap in this vid was great and I thought I’d keep the memory of the feel good factor - he was enjoying singing and we were applauding him. He made a few pounds. He deserved the pounds. He made my afternoon.

Came home, saw this thread so thought I'd put this up.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/LzzieIzzie/spring%2009/th_P1010535.jpg

************************************************************************************
Rap - hoping you will find work very soon. Take care.

raprap

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 09:11 pm
@Izzie,
Tried a little this afternoon--went to the downtown mall where there are subrisingly few buskers in the 16 blocks and Juggled and told jokes and ranted about how asking a juggler to multitask is as farsical as driving and talking on a cell phone at the same time for about an hour--I made $20 and when I closed up shop some people in a nearby bristo bought me a Newcastle ale .On my way out a cop asked me to show him how to juggle.

Not bad for not having a big target like a guitar case to catch change---tomorrow I think I'll try it again, but this time "I think I need a bigger hat" (Thas a Bullwinkle quote).

I also handed out three resume's listing my skills, my work experience, and my education ( Math, Chemistry & Engineering).

Rap
chai2

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 09:35 pm
@raprap,
cool!
Joeblow

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 05:31 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

cool!

Isn't it?!

~~~~~

rap,

Fingers crossed for you.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 04:52 pm
bumping this hoping raprap will come by and let us know how he's doing.
raprap

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 05:16 pm
@chai2,
Two interviews this last week
On where it appeared I was overqualified (the guy look at my resume and asked Why would you want this job anyway?)

The second it appeared that I wasn't the kind of insect they were looking for---The job description was for a simple laboratory analysis job where they wanted a specific type of analysis and apparently my responce to could you do the task wasn;t qaquite what they expected (right this instant no, but give me a coupla of days and yes.)

I hve a interviw with a small engineering contractor Monday t
chai2

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 05:33 pm
@raprap,
hmm...overqualified.

real catch 22.

how's the juggling? bringing in any cash with that?