Pets And Emotional Stability

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:24 am
In what ways has your pet enhanced your emotional stability?

Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,553 • Replies: 10
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:40 am
Pets and emotional stability???
Gosh, I got the wrong ones!

Wink

Actually they are a comfort! They have a way of relaxing me, and increasing the joy in my life. The simple pleasure of them is one of the greatest things there is. They give me love, affection, and companionship. They have their moments and so do I but, it is a relationship and thats how it goes.

It is a lifelong commitment that doesnt involve divorce/breakup, etc.
Its is caregiving of a high measure.
It is unconditional love.

I guess when you think about it, its a dang fine emotional stability with wonderful rewards.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:40 am
Great answer Quinn.

I had cats for most of my life until after my son was born and I learned that he was alergic to them. I miss having them because they were so full of love and it was very healthy for me emotionally. We now have a bunny and she's great as well. She is probably the most spoiled rabbit alive. She comes in and goes out as she pleases without being trapped in a cage. She has a big fenced in area out back, so she gets to make her tunnels, run around in the grass, and all that fun stuff. Sometimes she'll come inside to visit, but she doesn't stay very long.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 11:30 am
I don't think my dogs have made me any more stable, but they've taught me a lot about unconditional love. They don't like that I go to work each day, but they still love me. They do naughty things on occasion, but I still love them. They've taught me to be accepting of a lot of little flaws in people, that I might have been bothered by in the past.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:18 pm
When you've had a rotten day at the office and you come home to be greeted by a doggy who is just so positively delighted to see you that she can't possibly sit still and must run around in circles and jump on the wall (cause she knows she's not supposed to jump on you), it can make the world seem so much kinder.

And if you're upset by something, anything, and your doggy senses it and comes over and practically forces you to pet her and snuggles against you and indicates in every way she possibly can that she loves you and needs you, it's really hard to stay too upset.

Dogs are wonderful creatures who can turn the most awful mood on its head by being silly or cuddly or even obnoxious -- and they always seem to know which to use to make their owner feel all better.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:50 pm
A remembered quote, to whom to attribute I have no idea:

"What a wonderful world this would be if we were the people our pets think we are"

timber
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:49 pm
Both Bean and Carlotta have enhanced my life by their presence in it. Carlotta, my cat came to me one morning when I opened the door to get the morning paper she just walked in and made herself at home, it is nice to be chosen by a cat. Bean, my dog is adopted and like me a little skitterish. But no matter what Bean protects me. She even growls at my room mate if he is gruff with me.

These two have traveled a lot with me and we all provide stability for each other.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:14 pm
My vet gave this to me, and I think it sums up things pretty well for me...

THINGS WE CAN LEARN FROM A DOG

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Let others know when they've invaded your territory.

Take naps often and stretch before rising.

Run, romp and play daily.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle him or her gently.

Delight in the joys of a long walk.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you're criticized, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout...run right back and make friends.

Be grateful for everyday.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:28 pm
pets and emotional stability
i adore my cats - all 3
they adore me but they try
to hide it
but i see them watching me
out of the corner of an eye
the minute i leave the
room i am followed
watched, worried over
jetty gets upset if i fail to
sit at computer for hours
as her greatest love is
to lie beneath the desk and
have me rub on her with my feet?
doesn't like hands, but loves feet
kita is the oldest the alpha
if i am late with the food in the am
i am in deep doo doo she won't
come in the house all day to
punish me for failing her they
all tie me to life
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:39 pm
Everything you need to know about dogs, you can learn just by looking at Misti's avatar.

Not at all sure that the words 'cats' and 'stability' belong in the same discussion.
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:11 pm
It has been studied and proven that people's blood pressures lower when they are patting or even grooming their pet. And I have a few friends who bring their dogs to retirement homes, so the oldsters can interact with them.Because it's good for the people. My dog, at 85+ lbs is, although old, still too exuberent to go visiting oldsters. But-yes-he sure does me good! As Winston Churchill said "The more I see of people, the more I love my dog"!And whatever ails me quickly leaves when I've told Rupert about it, and he has listened closely and gazed at me with his soulful eyes.And nothing makes us feel so good as a frolic with a merry pooch.

However,when Rupert is ill I am not feeling very....emotionally stable. And when he....goes, I'm sure I'll be a basket case.
They say a dog is a friend for life. True. But they mean THE DOG'S life---much shorter than ours. Sad
0 Replies