Oh no, I've done a useless degree.

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:20 pm
I've been thinking about this and I think you should apply the null hypothesis. If you hadn't done this degree what degree could you have done to better achieve your goals? Would not doing a degree at all have improved your chances of achieving your goals. Rationalising by saying you went for best fit. Or start planning for your second coming as an accountant.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 01:47 am
When you started this degree, what were you expecting as an outcome. How did you plan to use it?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:36 am

How do you get a degree in only two years? In Scotland, it's three or four.

Work as a volunteer for the National Trust, rebuilding dry-stone walls or something. Meet the horny-handed sons of honest toil. You can get training in buiding walls, or thatching roofs. I'd like to be a thatcher.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:50 am
Well I haven't finished it yet, I still have one year to go.

No. I think I've just had the realisation that academia is what I love and I can never be happy in a full time job that just 'pays the way' with no sense of progress or personal achievement.
I'm going to do a masters and phd and try and become a lecturer. It's all I want to do.
In this sense, my degree isn't useless.

I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do with my degree. I just thought 'I want to study music.' I've wanted to go to university really badly as long as I can remember.

But as shapeless said, I'm going to have to have a few '****' jobs for a while in order to help me pay for further studying.
existential potential

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:16 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
don't you have any interests outside academia?

i understand that perspective however, the idea of finishing your education and then being thrust into the big wide world, as if all you've done is just train for that moment when you must go and find an occupation and "settle". its a horrifying thought, and its entirely understandable to want your degree to count for something.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 05:35 pm
@existential potential,
existential potential wrote:

don't you have any interests outside academia?

Not really, because academia is an attitude/perspective 'mode of being' more than anything I suppose.
I like exploring London. I want to travel. I like to see concerts/galleries. I like to get hammered and dance and cavort around. I like the countryside. I think that's about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 05:38 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I can never be happy in a full time job that just 'pays the way' with no sense of progress or personal achievement.

how do you know that the only jobs/careers that offer progress/personal achievement are in academia?
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 05:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Well i don't exactly, but if I want a job in classical music, and don't want to perform or compose, then there isn't much else really, I suppose.
As Shapeless said.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 05:45 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
do you have people that come in to speak to you about their careers after their degrees? the different ways they've used particular courses/programs?

it's fairly standard practice here. It is hard as a student, who's a bit dug into academics to be able to visualize all of the different options available without some help from the university's careers department.

does your program have any co-op options?
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
No and no...

I should ask my tutor what other options there are for me.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 05:55 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Perhaps start by asking your tutor what their work experience has been, outside of academia. If they haven't been "outside" find someone else to speak to.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:37 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Would you enjoy teaching lessons in whatever instrument you're playing?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:49 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Good luck then!!! I hope you enjoy the journey.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:03 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
You know I never listened to opera until this crazy Paul Potts performance. I really liked that aria even without understanding it. After much research I have the translation and it seems to be rooted in Arabic fables like the 'Arabian Nights' all about reading minds and intents. I bought Paul's CD 'Passion'. I guess you like to delve in to the theory of music. Is it the rhythms, sustained notes, the gradual ascending or descending of the notes or random like yet gradual rising notes that provides the uplifting of our spirits? Is there a general pattern to music? What is music to one can be noise to another e.g. an incomprehensible ethnic song could be noise to another ethnic who doesn't understand the language. So is music an acquired taste or cultural?

P.S. You realize that you do need a thesis for both a Master's degree and a Ph.D. For thesis material you could show how how Indian music influenced Spanish music as Gypsies are descendants of Indian travelling musicians from Rajestan in Northwestern India who during the Ottoman Empire ventured into Europe or to Spain during the Arab rule. You could trace the instruments and songs. The stomping of the feet seems very Indian. Or even how Italian opera came into being or German music. Good luck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:29 pm
PQ, you are up on my people of interest, and so what..

Really, I wish you'd compose yourself and then start looking at others, from a wider view. I hate to say, get over yourself, but, really, that could be a good step.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2018 09:52 am
@daverod,
Periodically, it helps to look at the timestamps of the OP. You are most likely to be talking to a ghost.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:00 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Periodically, it helps to look at the timestamps of the OP. You are most likely to be talking to a ghost.

The Pentacle Queen is still live and kicking... but more so on Facebook.
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:02 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I know. Her last active post here was Aug, '17. I do see her posts on FB.However, this post originated in 2008, a detail that seemingly has been missed.

This poster seems only interested in posting and thumping ...not actually reading what is posted.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2018 10:04 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Yes, I know. I see her posts on FB.

This poster seems only interested in posting and thumping ...not actually reading what is posted.

You're assuming (given his posting history) that he may be capable of actually reading his own posts let alone understanding the posts which he replies to.