Turmeric!

vinsan

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:20 am
As an Indian I eat this spice all my life. Whenever I get cut, I apply the powder on my wounds. I put it in milk and drink for a good night sleep. I apply it on my face along with sandal wood powder to remove any sun tan effects.

My grandpa eat it raw to avoid alzeimer's and stomache problems. My mom eats it to avoid breast cancer.

I heard yesterday that an American firm applied for a Patent recently, that proves turmeric's medicinal usage.

1 billion indians use tumeric for medicianl use since thousands of years and america awakens to its benefits just now...

Strange isnt it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 5,411 • Replies: 15
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:23 am
@vinsan,
it's been popular on the alternative scene for a few years now, cayenne pepper as well for circulation and digestive properties
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:39 am
I have been known to use turmeric also. No single herb can do-all, but used in a program, they are very beneficial.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:06 am
@vinsan,
Quote:
Whenever I get cut, I apply the powder on my wounds. I put it in milk and drink for a good night sleep. I apply it on my face along with sandal wood powder to remove any sun tan effects.

Why am I the last to know these things, vinsan? So far I've only ever used turmeric in my cooking!

But I'm wondering ... when you say you apply it to your face, etc ... are you referring to the same orange powdered turmeric I cook with? The same stuff that stains clothing & fingers (& is hard to remove) when one is clumsy?
vinsan

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:31 am
@msolga,
yes msolga,

Its the same thing. Use it with sandal powder (1 spoon) and turmeric (1/2 spoon) and drops of water to make a paste. You can alternately use rose water.

This face pack brings glow to your face and is also known to whiten the skin.

I dunno which tumeric u r referring to, but one I use is dark yellow (than orange). Yes it does stain cloths. But not skin if you clean your face with water thoroughly.
vinsan

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:39 am
@vinsan,
After we use Turmeric as a face pack, avoid using soap / face wash on the face for a day or so. It counter effects the turmeric. In my mother toungue there is even a proverb, "Pi Halad Ani Gori Ho" which means "Drink Turmeric and Get Fair"

Its solely due to turmeric that Hindu's believe Yellow is the color of purity.

Also refer this .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

The government of Thailand is funding a project to extract and isolate tetrahydrocurcuminoids (THC) from turmeric. THCs (not to be confused with tetrahydrocannabinol, which is also known as THC) are colorless compounds that might have antioxidant and skin-lightening properties and might be used to treat skin inflammations, making these compounds useful in cosmetics formulations.

Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:52 am
@vinsan,
Thanks for that, vinsan.

I'm using the same turmeric (powder) as you are & wondered about it staining.
vinsan

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 07:22 am
@msolga,
you can initially try using on the hands if satisified go with your face ...

there is another face pack one can create of turmeric...

Its Chickpea flour 1 spoon and turmeric 1/2 spoon and 2 spoons milk. Excellent peel of face pack.
the prince

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 07:32 am
@vinsan,
Not milk !!! Plain curd !!!

Why do you think I still look so gorgeous? :p
msolga

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 07:39 am
@the prince,
I just knew you'd turn up on this thread, G! Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 09:35 am
@msolga,
A significant cause of death among Indian men in the Karala is cihhrosis . Is this disease common because of the intense spicy diet? I dont consider Turmeric overly spicey , just a nice flavorful presence. It togethre with cinnamon , is considered an aid in cardiac care.

Folk medicines! tune in tomorrow and see what the counter story will be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 09:44 am
Tell us about the neem tree, Vinsan--that's way cool.
Foofie

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:02 am
Turmeric has always been used at American baseball games, to assist the fans in enjoying the game. It was put on hotdogs in the form of mustard. I do not think Indians eat hotdogs at that game with a flat bat and two bases.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 01:19 am
@Setanta,
Tell us about the neem tree, Vinsan--that's way cool.

Yep Setanta: Neem tre is used for following things

1. Diabetes: Drink a glass of Neem leaves juice every morning (Its the bittermost thing you would ever taste though)
2. Chicken Pox: Bath in neem leaves water and spread neem leaves below the bedsheet where you sleep.
3. Mosquitoes: Sprinkle dried crushed neem leaves or neem leaves water in the ponds or water holes. Also effective to sprinkle neem leaves juice on ladybugs, moth larvae or butterfly larvae.
4. Pollution: On the sides of highly air-polluted roads, plant 1 neem tree for each 50 meter and it reduces the pollution ( carbon dioxide) to 50% of its orignal levels.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 07:25 pm
@vinsan,
I like it too. I don't believe in much as a medicinal thrombose.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:39 am
@vinsan,
I didn't know it works for tanning, though I knew it was generally good for skin. I think I'm going to try the mixture you mentioned-- I desperately need a remedy for my tanning!
0 Replies