Why we should stay on land - warning graphic photos!

Wilso

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:49 am
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land1.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land2.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land3.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land4.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land5.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land6.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land7.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land8.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/land9.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 7,004 • Replies: 21

chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:01 am
I grew up at a marina.

from childhood, I would see fishing parties come back with the occassional shark, or see a dead hammerhead shark come ashore on our boat ramp.

I knew not to touch them, because their nerves will cause them to bite even after they've been dead awhile.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 10:57 am
@Wilso,
If you're so terrified of sharks, then I suggest you also never operate a motor vehicle. Them things is dangerous.

And don't climb a ladder, or use a shower.
djjd62

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:00 am
@DrewDad,
oh man, i just had a ladder installed in my shower
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:02 am
@djjd62,
Can you post really gory, blood-soaked images of your shattered bones after the next time you bathe?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:04 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
Laughing

This might be a stupid question Wilso - but is the man who's lying on his stomach with the back of his leg gone and the man who's lying on his back with his leg hanging on by that small strip of flesh - dead?
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:39 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

If you're so terrified of sharks, then I suggest you also never operate a motor vehicle. Them things is dangerous.

And don't climb a ladder, or use a shower.

well, he didn't say he was terrified of sharks DD.

If you stay on land, (and don't touch "dead" sharks) you have absolutely no reason to fear them.

We have a large amount of control using a ladder, shower, etc, in how we place it, use it while drunk or not, taking foolish risks like leaning too far over on a ladder, or standing in an unsafe way in the shower.

That's why people put safety handles in their showers, and non skid strips. So they can gain more control over the situation.

Sure a person can say "I won't go in the water if there's a shark warning" but, unfortunatley, these creatures move around a lot better than we do, and can get right by you before anyone can issue a warning.
If someone wants to scuba dive or whatever, they need to be aware that "here be monsters" not to be paranoid, but be aware, and prepared.

most people blithly jump into the sea, never giving a thought to what lives there.

Based on the number of broken hips each year due to slipping in the shower. I'd say we do need to have a healthy fear of that area.

Fear doesn't have to be paralyzing. I'm afraid of falling in the shower, so I have non skid strips, and a bar. When I get older, I might need a shower seat. The fear is telling me to beware.

I don't fear sharks one little bit, because I'm in Austin Tx.

If I were to take a plane to Italy, it would cross my mind of what I should do if the plane crashed in the ocean, I survived the crash, and ended up in the drink. I would give it as much thought as I felt it warranted....not much, since it's pretty unlikely.

When I used to go in the ocean, my thoughts were about jelly fish, since I've seen many people stung by them, and I didn't feel like becoming one of them. As far as sharks, being on the Jersey Shore, there were always plenty of other people surrounding you, and a shark would have had to wind it's way through all of them to get to me. So, not too much worry. To jump off a boat in the ocean a 1/2 mile out for a swim? No way.

It's not an all or nothing thing.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 11:42 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Laughing

This might be a stupid question Wilso - but is the man who's lying on his stomach with the back of his leg gone and the man who's lying on his back with his leg hanging on by that small strip of flesh - dead?

Look at picture #6 aidan, how the people are standing around him. The man at his head is standing in such a way that what is at his feet is now being preceived as an object.

and I don't think the man in the B&W photo would be lying there calmly with his hands on his stomach while someone held that leg up.

They are dead my dear.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:12 pm
@chai2,
The title of the thread is "Why we should stay on land", which, when combined with the shark photos, give a message that sharks are so scary that one shouldn't ever enter the water.

But the fact is, that one is in much more danger of falling from a ladder or slipping in the shower than one is of getting attacked by a shark while in the ocean.

This thread is nothing more than sensationalism wrapped in a phobia. TTH could hardly of improved on the original post.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:15 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The title of the thread is "Why we should stay on land", which, when combined with the shark photos, give a message that sharks are so scary that one shouldn't ever enter the water.

But the fact is, that one is in much more danger of falling from a ladder or slipping in the shower than one is of getting attacked by a shark while in the ocean.

This thread is nothing more than sensationalism wrapped in a phobia. TTH could hardly of improved on the original post.

shrugs.

didn't give me that message.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:29 pm
Wonder where they got all those photos of the lawyers.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 12:55 pm
Unless I'm sorely mistaken, picture 6 and 7 are actually from the movie 'The Beach' . That's one of the Swedish fisherman who is attacked by mother shark, some few days after DiCaprio kills a baby shark.

As for the question, in any situation where you render yourself relatively helpless at a location where potential predators can show up, you should be aware of the risks and be able to either quickly remove yourself from danger or deal with the predator without getting hurt. And the former should be the advised course of action really.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:58 pm
@najmelliw,
******* dicaprio

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:15 pm
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:
Unless I'm sorely mistaken, picture 6 and 7 are actually from the movie 'The Beach' . That's one of the Swedish fisherman who is attacked by mother shark, some few days after DiCaprio kills a baby shark.

Also, the last picture is of a Dolphin (if I'm not mistaken).
Wilso

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:25 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I've lived on the coast all my life. Between surfing, swimming and scuba diving, I've probably spent more time in the water than everyone else on this thread combined.
So, are you just acting like a cock for the sake of it?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:27 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

najmelliw wrote:

Also, the last picture is of a Dolphin (if I'm not mistaken).

Just noticed the curved dorsal fin. But I suspect it's one of the smaller whales. Looks too big to be a dolphin.
Wilso

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:28 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Laughing

Don't know.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:43 pm
@DrewDad,
I agree with your statement - it one of those things - well yeah being eaten by a shark is a way you could die, however, even if you regularly swim in shark infested waters, you still are more likely to die in automobile accident.

I know sharks are in the ocean, but I love the Carribbean and if I'm there, I;m swimming in the ocean. I would more likely die from the crap I eat and drink there than the sharks and other verim in the sea.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:44 pm
And when young and single and stupid and visiting the Bahamas with a girlfriend of mine, we were constantly being warned about the land sharks. We were told they were much more dangerous than those in the ocean.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 02:48 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
Just noticed the curved dorsal fin. But I suspect it's one of the smaller whales. Looks too big to be a dolphin.

The curve of the wave distorts things somewhat, but if the tail were vertical it would have the same aspect as the dorsal fin, and it doesn't, so it's probably a horizontal tail (non-shark).

This is also a pretty famous image, and I've read somewhere that the surfers on this beach are frequently accompanied by Dolphins (or whatever the local version of a Dolphin is).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why we should stay on land - warning graphic photos!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:33:39