Going to England/Ireland.

Ceili

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:37 pm
Hi, I'm going to Ireland for the first two weeks of June. I fly into Heathrow and then must make my way to Dublin.
I know Ryan air is cheap, but they fly out of Gatewick. How easy is it to travel between the two airports. I know there is a bus, have you ever taken it?
Alternatively, I was thinking of taking the train to Holyhead and then the ferry to Dublin. Again, have you ever taken this particular trip?
Also, an suggestions would be appreciated. Places to see, things to do, you get the picture.
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,584 • Replies: 9
No top replies

margo

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:10 pm
I'm envious. I need to go back to Ireland.

Ryanair also flies out of Stansted for Dublin.

The thing to be aware of with Ryanair is luggage limitations (I think 15kg). They charge to check in luggage and charge like demons for anything over the allowance. But - if you can book early enough to get a good price - and price increases the later you book - and you can cope with the luggage allowance, then Ryanair is a good deal. I've flown them a couple of times.

But - if you're at Heathrow already - have a look at some of the airlines that fly from there to Dublin. (Aer Lingus, BMI, British Airways) A slightly more expensive flight may be more convenient, have a more generous luggage allowance.

A friend did the Heathrow to Gatwick trip last year without problems.

I've not done the trip by ferry - slower. Depends on how much time you have.

For me, take the convenient route!

Have fun!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:19 pm
Whichbudget (www.whichbudget.com) suggests Aer Lingus. They were OK the one time I flew with them. Mind you - the flight left Dublin about 4 hours late, but.......
Francis

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 04:10 am
@margo,
I use to travel with Aer Lingus, they are OK.

You just pay 18 euros for every 20 Kg of luggage, in addition to your ticket, which is not far higher than Ryan's..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:37 am
@Ceili,
I've done the ferry thing twice - once time from Holyhead and once from Liverpool. The ferry from Liverpool, of course is closer to the airport, but a longer ride. We took it for an overnight trip so we slept on the ride there (we paid a few dollars and got to sleep in these comforable reclining chairs) and coming back was during the day. As being young, we had a great time - we partied on the ride over.

Similar to Holyhead - on the ride over, we went on a late night and slept (although I don't remember it being so comfortable - I slept in a chair - but for me it was easy to sleep so no problems).
saab

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 11:01 am
@Linkat,

I don´t know when it starts but you have to buy and print out your ryan air ticket over your computor and it costs Euro 5. If you forget your ticket you have to pay a big fine up to 40 Euro or pounds
Bocking at the counter costs Euro 20.
Luggage up to 15 kilos is free every extra kilo costs Euro 15. If you have 20 kilo it will cost you 75 Euro
If you haven´t "booked" your lugage at the same time as your ticket but first at the check in counter you will have to pay twice the price.
These information I got out of a paper from May 20th 2009
Don´t fly ryan air.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 11:21 am
@Ceili,
The bus service punctuality is okay - especially, since quite a lot lines connect Heathrow and Gatwick Airports. (There's a regular shuttle to Stansted, too.)

I personally wouldn't fly Ryan. What Francis, margo et. al. said: 'regular' lines are a lot more expensive (if at all, when you consider all the additional costs you may get with budget carriers.)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 01:05 pm
Good to know. I was pretty sure the whole 8£ thing was too good to be true.
I'll be returning to Canada with my daughter, she'll have made a round trip from London, Amsterdam, Italy, Slovenia, Germany, perhaps Poland, then Ireland.I think I'll fly Aer Lingus to Dublin and take the ferry/train back to London. I'd like to do the train trip during the day, so that I can take photos along the way.
I haven't been since I was twelve. I'm going to be exploring the north of Ireland mainly, that's where my family lives.
I plan on seeing the Giants Causeway but any other ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks
saab

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 12:42 am
@Ceili,
My daughter flew from London to Graz with ryan air. The outbound flight was 12 pounds the return was free - end of ticket price was over 100 pounds
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 01:25 am
Ryan Air is OK - as long as you're aware of all costs.

Compare total prices with the larger airlines - unless Ryan Air is below your comfort level.
0 Replies