Does anyone else here remember the 300 baud BBSs days?

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:29 pm
I remember when I hooked up a radio shack 300 baud moderm to my ti99a system and started to get "online" wih BBS systems.

When I first started I could not find the local BBS numbers so I began long distance and slowly work my way home by way of the phones number lists of other BBSs that most BBSs contain.

By the time I did get local numbers my phone bill had reach 200 dollars!

Then there was Genie and Compuserve to explore. I in fact met my wife on Compuserve in 1985.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,992 • Replies: 17
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:37 pm
@BillRM,
One of my first jobs was writing assembly language device drivers for 300 baud modems back in the early 80's. I remember when we got our first 1200 baud modem and we thought that was screamin fast Smile
NickFun

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:52 pm
I recall them well but my first computer was in 1991. State of the Art 25 MHZ, 200 MB hard drive with a ripping 9600K modem. About a year later I upgraded to a 14.4 modem and couldn't get over the speed.

However, the women I met on the internet back in those days were horror stories.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:53 pm
@rosborne979,
Rosborne979 I remember hooking up a hard drive to the local ti99 user club BBS and it was large holding all the club share software with room to run the BBS being all of 10 meg.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 09:00 pm
@NickFun,
Nicklfun you got into the game late<grin> lord a 9600 baud moderm what speed you enjoy to start with. A computer with a clock speed of 25 mhz not 1 mhz. You lucky person to begin with such a powerful system.

I almost broke up a freind marriage by tying up his home phone for hours transfering 200 k disk at 300 baud.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:15 am
Ah yes, the good old days Wink

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:12 am
I found that I can read at 300 baud.

I was on Atari. A whopping 48K memory, and double-sided floppies. (You had to take them out and flip them over.)

I was able to save money by buying single-sided floppies and manually cutting the notch to make them double-sided.

I still remember hooking up a tape drive that ran off of cassette tapes.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:38 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I still remember hooking up a tape drive that ran off of cassette tapes.

I remember the tape drive on the Atari also. What a clunker. I wrote some stupid little program in Basic on that machine and had to record it on the cassette drive.

My first real programming job was in the early 80's using Macro11 Assembler language on Digital PDP 11/34 and 44's. They had these big disk drives attached to them which looked like top-loader washing machines. The disks themselves were about the size of a hub-cap and had to be uncorked from their housing and latched down into the top of those giant drives which then vacuum sealed them into the chamber. I don't remember what the size of those disks were, but it was probably around 20Meg or something.

I loved writing in Assembler language and still have some of my original program printouts, but I can't read the language any more. Luckily I commented the hell out of them, so I can still tell what they did.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:58 am
A BBS with multiple phone lines was rare. A popular BBS was often unreachable for long periods of time.

And my first modem only did pulse dialing.
0 Replies

Gwarnokyon

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:53 pm
I don't remember the system; I believe that it was an Apple IIe hooked up to a 300 baud modem. I went daily to our local BBS and played a text game named 'Swords of Chaos'.... Those days were a blast!!!!
BillRM

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 01:39 am
@Gwarnokyon,
We had a number of Apple 2s at my work place and one of my co-workers got the job of troublehooting their hardware problems.

I remember walking by as he was working on them and annoying him by asking him what the problem was as everything was in sockets!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 07:21 pm
My first 'computer' was actually just a word processor back in '84. It had no hard drive but did take those floppy disks. I used Volkswriter software. It sucked compared to today but it sure as hell beat a typewriter.
BillRM

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 07:39 pm
@NickFun,
My wife talk her WW2 era brother into replacing his typewriter with an old computer of her and even set up an email account with juno for him.

He type so many emails that first day that they shut his account down for over used!

0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:21 pm
I remember punching programs into a deck of cards.
Then I'd mosey on over to Remote Job Entry and put the deck in the in-box.
About a half hour later I'd pick up a printout on green-bar paper.
Error.
Damn.
Back to the keypunch.
I got pretty good at desk-checking after a while.
BillRM

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:32 pm
@George,
Hmm George I remember going to the computer room with a freind to pick up the results of our simple fortan 4 programs in 1971 also handed in on punch cards the day before.

After recieving mine the clerk gave my frend a bad look and then handed him a box full of printout paper.

Mike I said it look like you had made a format error as every letters and numbers of the results of his program was on it own sheet of paper!
George

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:35 am
@BillRM,
Ha!
Another forest mown down.
0 Replies

BullDog

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 02:59 pm
I was just telling a youngster about my first computer (TRS-80) and my 300 baud modem. I had compuserve for my online service. I was even one of the first to use the Wells Fargo online banking service. My friends thought I was crazy and that someone would still my identity. Man, those were the days.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 03:02 pm
BullDog wrote:
that someone would still my identity

But you steal have it, don't you?
0 Replies