Robert Gentel and Microsoft and hurting my feelings

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:52 pm
There is something strange about our host Robert emotional connection to Microsoft and the windows OS at least in my opinion.

Now the lasted example of this is the claimed that the Mac is not indeed an almost completely safe platform to interact with the net by Mr. Gentel including personal insults by him directed at little old me.

You hurt my feelings Robert!

Yes as he pointed out Mac can indeed be attack however they had only at the very most a ten percent share of the market for home computers therefore any malware design to attack them by way of the net will not be able to attack the 90 percent of the computers that are running windows.

No large scale commerce attack that I am aware of had been target at the Mac as why spend the time and money to develop an attack on ten percent of the total net computers when the same time and money would allow you to attack 90 percent of the computers install base instead? There had been reported one repeat one Trojan horse program in the wild by the name of IBOTNET that does not amount to any real threat as you need to download and install an illegal copy of IWORK to get it.

In order to get an example of a Mac attack software you needed to offer a 10,000 dollar prize or download an illegal copy of IWORK and all you need to get examples of windows attack software is to place an unpatch Windows system on the internet for a few minutes as unlike the Mac there are 10 of thousands malware just waiting to attack.

Come on Robert take a deep breathe here people like you and I running windows system need to have layers of security to get the same safety as a Mac users have out of teh box.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,900 • Replies: 34

djjd62

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:59 pm
@BillRM,
you haven't figured it out yet

the contraction of robert is bob, his initials are therefore BG, he's really Bill Gates
dlowan

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:59 pm
@BillRM,
Or perhaps there is something strange about your emotional connection to bashing Microsoft and and the Windows OS...to the extent that you now harbour an apparent conspiracy theory in relation to our host, Robert, and are obsessed enough to open a thread attacking him?

Having looked at a couple of your exchanges, it is you in whom I see untoward emotionality.

Robert's just being his usual self.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:03 pm
@djjd62,
Thank Djjd62 the false picture he had throw me off!

Hello Mr. Gates..................
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:09 pm
@BillRM,
One more thing to become OC about, eh BillRM.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:17 pm
@roger,
Roger I did not know you was a doctor able to diagnostic my OC condition over the net! How are you for treating a case of bleeding piles?

It seem I must had harm myself by talking out of my rear.
msolga

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:40 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, before you say something you might regret later ..... take a deep breath & calm down a bit. Robert can sound blunt in his online communications sometimes. I guess that's just Robert. I have taken it "personally" once or twice in the past, too ( long time ago) ... then later realized .. well,that it's just Robert. It wasn't necessarily about me.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:21 pm
@msolga,
This guy, RG, is usually right, thus annoying, eh? He can be blunt but is most often courteous even with provocation. Macs are certainly vulnerable. I 'm a mac person and tend to cringe re any increased sales or ballyhooing, and thus a possible surge in targetting.

So, y'know, shut up.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:32 pm
@msolga,
I know msolga and he is nice enough to set up what is a very nicely design website that kind of remind me of the very old 300 baud moderm BBS days and I would mss it.

Still he is somewhat emotional bonded to Microsoft and willing to name call over the issue.

The subject of whether Microsoft bitlocker is likely to have a back door did upset him also. It may or may not have one but it is not insane to think that there is a good chance it does contain one judging from the history of other large very large companies that had roll over for the government in the past and even broken clearly written laws doing so.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Ossobuce it must be annoying for you to know that at 3 percent of the total market you was almost hundred percent safe but even at ten percent the first warnings of trouble is here.

The more market share Microsoft loss to Apple the less safe you are indeed.

Still you are far safer then most windows users and I am a little envies of you for not needing to keep such a careful eye on the new threats to one windows program or another that are constantly coming into view.

Sometime I get the feeling the only sure way of keeping my windows computer safe is to embed it into concrete<grin>.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:54 pm
@BillRM,
Robert is the Sully Sullenberger of A2K and he, too, is a hero.

Psssst!

There is a secret conspiracy between Robert, Sully, the airline pilot's association, Microsoft and the internet. Don't ponder too deeply on it though, your head will explode.

You didn't hear that from me!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:56 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sometime I get the feeling the only sure way of keeping my windows computer safe is to embed it into concrete<grin

the way I hear it it is not windows that is the problem, the internet structure is the problem. Windows gets hacked only because there is more bang for the buck in going after windows, if apple's op was the industry leader they would go after that instead. Many months back I posted a thread about how some experts say that the internet can not be fixed, the the structural flaw of anonymity can not be addressed without rubbing out the current net and replacing it. That the internet was created in academia for use by academics and thus there was a built in assumption that evil doers would not be on the system. Now that it is out in the great world and used by the masses evil does lurk, and can not be defended against because the system was never designed to deal with the criminal element.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
He landed a computer in the Hudson<grin.>?
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
The net like windows was not design with security in mind and that is the main headache for both the net and windows.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:23 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The net like windows was not design with security in mind and that is the main headache for both the net and windows

But the experts I read say that security can not be gained through the OP so long as the net is not fixed. It will be a constant battle with the hackers, and there is a high likelihood that the hackers will at some point win. It is not fair to blame Microsoft for not being able to compensate for weaknesses designed into the Internet.

Re RG, their are tons of people who are irrational in their love of Apple and likewise their hate of Microsoft, why does coming across a person who appears to hate on Microsoft come as a surprise to you?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:43 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
There is something strange about our host Robert emotional connection to Microsoft and the windows OS at least in my opinion.

Robert attacked me once too. He called me a Mac Fanboy simply because I said something nice about a Mac. I had to look up Fanboy. But I like his taste in music, picked up a few good songs from some of his music thread Smile
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
The net have some real security programs. DNS is still a weakness even after a number of patchs had been done and there are also low level packets handing problems in the design however that still does not mean that windows does not have it own very large security holes also cause by a basic design that did not have security in mind.

Other newer OSs are far more security aware and that is build into the very low levels of the OS.You do not have ever thing possible in the Kernal to start with as windows does.

With windows the best you can do is wrap layers of security around it as it is not build into the basic design.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:46 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 I guess we all can not be perfect.

I know this is going to come as a shock to the rest of you but my wife tell me that I have a few if very very minor faults myself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 11:22 pm
@rosborne979,
He's an equal opportunity insulter, that's for sure.

Bill oughtn't to feel so special and picked on and all....

Wink
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 11:57 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Bill, before you say something you might regret later ..... take a deep breath & calm down a bit. Robert can sound blunt in his online communications sometimes. I guess that's just Robert. I have taken it "personally" once or twice in the past, too ( long time ago) ... then later realized .. well,that it's just Robert. It wasn't necessarily about me.

I saw Bill's post earlier and thought he must have struck a raw nerve with Robert. And msolga it was about Bill ....
Quote:
Absolute nonsense. Folks who think Macs are invulnerable have a false sense of security because of folks like you talking out of your rear.

So are you saying Bill should watch what he is saying and suck up so he don't get kicked off the site ?