Kenson

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:08 am
God is Eternal? God is Omnipresent ? God is Omniscient ? God is Omnipotent?
The Christian God is a personal God. This does not mean that God is a human being, but that God has "personality" and the capability of both relationships with other personal beings. This is seen clearly in both the Old and New Testaments, in which God is described in strongly personal terms (father, shepherd, etc.) and establishes relationships with human beings.

In this belief, Christianity is like Judaism and Islam but very different from deism or the theism of Greek philosophy. In the latter systems, God is an impersonal force that causes the world to exist but does not interact with it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,832 • Replies: 15
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Kenson
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:46 am
@Kenson,
Quotes of Robert Heinlein follow:

God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent -- it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills.

Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.

Kenson

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:11 am
@BillRM,
According to John 5:37, Jesus said that no one had ever seen God at anytime or ever heard his voice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logical reasoning is a system that we use to construct an argument from observation and known facts.

We can use logical reasoning to make assumptions, through known facts. A very popular phrase that depicts logic is this: Every man is mortal, Socrates is a man, therefore Socrates is mortal.

Logic is obviously used everywhere, at work, when we are learning a new language, etc. etc.

Now something that you do not realize normally, is that your inference can be wrong even though it seems that the evidence you know concurs it to be true.

“The Ladder of Inference” -

“Observable Fact - The sun rises in the east and sets in the west
Selective Detail - The sun appears to be moving
Inference - The sun is moving
Assumption - The sun is circling the earth
Conclusion - The earth is the center of the universe”
I hope you know that this inference is in fact, false.

Even though this was is an incorrect model of the universe, you can see why people a long time ago used to believe that is was the truth. Then, after this is thought to be the truth we will then come to more false conclusions after using this as our observable fact.

A simple way to better your logic skills and make sure that all of your deductive reasoning is correct is to research all of your evidence and make sure that it is all true.
................................................................................................................

>>> If no one had ever seen God at anytime or ever heard his voice. <<<

Then how can we say, God is Eternal, God is Omnipresent , God is Omniscient , God is Omnipotent etc. etc.?

0 Replies

Kenson

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:31 am

..............................Now, what is the nature of 'God' in true 'believism'?"
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:23 pm
God is a personal construct for all individuals and I don't think you can define Him/Her/It in any sort of definitive way.

Because God is a creation manufactured from nothing, God Himself is the perfect metaphor for His own creations, because after all, faith dictates that all was created from nothing by a power also created from nothing.

I find it all really interesting and I am a believer although I don't claim, nor would I presume to claim, any significant understanding of God , His mind, His works, or His plan if any.

Organized religion and the people who follow it and accept any damn tale shoved down their throat without question.... that I don't believe in.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:00 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
BI-Polar Bear look up the word Deist and you will find you seem to be sharing the opinion of a large percent of our founding fathers.

This place you only 200 years out of date instead of 2000 years not bad at all.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:09 pm
I prefer to think it makes me timeless Cool
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

BI-Polar Bear look up the word Deist and you will find you seem to be sharing the opinion of a large percent of our founding fathers.

This place you only 200 years out of date instead of 2000 years not bad at all.

eliminate the middlemen when ever possible, i always say.
0 Replies

Kenson

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:42 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
>>>>I find it all really interesting.... ....and I am a believer .......although I don't claim, <<<<

If you are a true believer, you must know the nature of God, because a true believer believes only in the nature of 'God'.

0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 09:02 pm
There were two Gods. The Old Testament God was always threatening to kill off humanity whereas the New Testament God was more loving. Take your pick.
Kenson

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:45 am
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

There were two Gods. The Old Testament God was always threatening to kill off humanity whereas the New Testament God was more loving. Take your pick.

God is only ONE.
God is a single, whole, complete indivisible or cannot be divided into parts or described by attributes. Any attempt to ascribe attributes to God is merely man's imperfect attempt to understand the infinite.

The Knowledge about God in the Old Testament is imperfect,
but the Knowledge about God in the New Testament is perfect, hence it is written in the NT - 'God is Spirit."
BillRM

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 12:41 pm
@NickFun,
Nickfun in the new testament we still have the father god in a constant state of being in a bad mood but now we have his son who would offer some protection to us against his old man.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 12:47 pm
@Kenson,
Let not forget the holy ghost...................A three in one god
Kenson

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 07:27 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Let not forget the holy ghost...................A three in one god

In the case of God there is NO three in one OR two in one business,
because, according to the Spiritual Philosophy, God is only ONE,whole, complete,
and cannot be divided into parts like three: Father ,Son and Holy Spirit.
BillRM
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:11 pm
@Kenson,
Kenson as one hell of a lot of human blood had been spill over that subject of the three in one god and whole communities had been put to the sword over it, and being as your position was the winning one who am I to disagree centuries after the fact.

Not even Newton dare to openly disagree with your position even if in his private writing it seem that he was of the opinion that Jesus was a junor member of the group.

Is it not wonderful how sure you can be and how sure your ancestors was that they had no problem killing over the matter?
Kenson

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:35 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Kenson as one hell of a lot of human blood had been spill over that subject of the three in one god and whole communities had been put to the sword over it, and being as your position was the winning one who am I to disagree centuries after the fact.

Not even Newton dare to openly disagree with your position even if in his private writing it seem that he was of the opinion that Jesus was a junor member of the group.

Is it not wonderful how sure you can be and how sure your ancestors was that they had no problem killing over the matter?

>>>Not even Newton dare to openly disagree with your position even if in his private writing it seem that he was of the opinion that Jesus was a junor member of the group.<<<<<<

Sir Isaac Newton, was an English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, alchemist,
and theologian and one of the most influential men in human history.

But he was NOT a Spiritual Philosopher like me!

0 Replies