ebrown p

Sat 9 May, 2009 10:35 am
@aidan,
Billions of people on earth derive something of value from drinking Coca-Cola.

That does not mean it is necessary.
Kenson

Sat 9 May, 2009 10:48 am
Now, how can we understand that, which one is God and which one is NOT god?
Francis

Sat 9 May, 2009 11:09 am
@Kenson,
Pretty easy, god is the one in your mind, as you choose to believe so..

Just like leprechauns..
fresco

Sat 9 May, 2009 12:33 pm
@Kenson,
Kenson,

You keep using the words "meaning" and "understanding" as though from a priviledged or superior position . Is that how you see it ?
aidan

Sat 9 May, 2009 12:40 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Billions of people on earth derive something of value from drinking Coca- Cola.

That does not mean it is necessary.

How do you know? Even if it's only a pleasurable taste or quenching of thirst - that's necessary (in my opinion).
How many people can live seventy years without a modicum of pleasure?

Jesus - not me....if it were all work and drudgery...I'd have to say good-by prematurely. And I'm not even a quitter.
Wilso

Sat 9 May, 2009 05:01 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Kenson,

You keep using the words "meaning" and "understanding" as though from a priviledged or superior position . Is that how you see it ?

Those of strong religious conviction commonly see themselves as morally superior, and consequently their own views as more valid. That kind of arrogance manifests from the religious right all the time. There's no reason for Kenson to be any different.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sat 9 May, 2009 11:20 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
How do you know? Even if it's only a pleasurable taste or quenching of thirst - that's necessary (in my opinion).

There's your problem.
K
O
Kenson

Sat 9 May, 2009 11:51 pm
@Francis,
Leprechauns usually take the form of old men who enjoy partaking in mischief. Popular depiction shows them as being no taller than a small child. Their trade is that of a cobbler or shoemaker. They are said to be very rich, having much buried treasure.
According to legend, if anyone keeps an eye fixed upon one, he cannot escape, but the moment the gaze is withdrawn, >>>>>he vanishes.

So, the nature of 'God' is INVISIBLE(not capable of being seen; not visible.)
Then, what 'God' is not?
fresco

Sun 10 May, 2009 12:15 am
@Kenson,
...anything more than a concept which co-exists with and co-defines your concept of yourself.
Kenson

Sun 10 May, 2009 07:53 pm
@fresco,
What do you mean by "concept" ? - a general idea or notion ??

OR - a clear or logically formed idea??

fresco

Sun 10 May, 2009 11:41 pm
@Kenson,
Logic has nothing to do with it. Logic operates on concepts and is only one such method of their manipulation. With respect to logic, Godel showed that all systems entailed at least one axiom which cannot be logically deduced from that system.
fresco

Mon 11 May, 2009 12:26 am
@fresco,
BTW,

I notice from another thread that you have a simplistic view of the word "fact".
Facts are constructions relatiive to shared human physiology and needs. They have no objective "existence" in their own right. (Latin facare to make)

0 Replies

aidan

Mon 11 May, 2009 12:46 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest said:
Quote:
There's your problem.

Was someone just talking about Christians being guilty of moral superiority?

I think it's funny, this obtuse and self- unaware finger pointing. Laughter, pleasure...seeing my children smile - yes, NECESSARY to me, and my spiritutal and emotional health, which DOES affect my physical health.

Maybe you're different - in fact I'd bet my life you are.

Jesus, am I glad I don't have to live in your idea of what appears to be a purely needs - based reality, in which you get to specify what are needs and what aren't diest. You can definitely keep it. Talk about boring...

Einstein had it going on (I'm stealing this from Asher's post on another thread):

Quote:
The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure of all that there is.
- Albert Einstein, The World As I See It (1949)
fresco

Mon 11 May, 2009 01:05 am
Kenson,

Notice that the above post is focused on the word "need".

I suggest that your need is ultimately one of closure, i.e. you cannot tolerate a picture of "youself" in a void. All the rest of of the logical dribbling is icing on the cake.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Mon 11 May, 2009 01:14 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Diest said:
Quote:
There's your problem.

Was someone just talking about Christians being guilty of moral superiority?

You're right, it was wrong of me to declare superiority prematurely.

I am prepared to hear why drinking coke could ever be a necessity.

You should read between the lines on the Einstein quote. You'd find some irony here (relevant to other thread, not this one)

T
K
O
aidan

Mon 11 May, 2009 01:36 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
I am prepared to hear why drinking coke could ever be a necessity.

Well, I could probably think of something if I wanted to continue on from the sublime to the ridiculous, but I don't.
I don't find that to be necessary.
What I do find necessary is to let others have their opinion as I have mine - and sometimes to understand that there will be no common understanding.

I think that's the case here.
So I find it necessary to withdraw from this conversation because it seems futile, and that's a lifelong habit I've had- to recognize and withdraw from futile exercises, and conserve my time and energy for activities that don't feel futile.
Just another part of my own unique purpose driven and solution oriented personality - which is a means of preservation of happiness, and thus self - and a need (for me).
0 Replies

Kenson

Mon 11 May, 2009 08:22 am
Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion!
0 Replies

Francis

Mon 11 May, 2009 08:28 am
Kenson wrote:
Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

Crap!

Everybody who has sufficient experience of life can tell you that it's not so.

Quoting you fairy book is not gonna make it...
0 Replies

Kenson

Mon 11 May, 2009 10:07 am
This is not a fairy book, but a Spiritual book, which will give you the Spiritual knowledge.

Really most people do not accept the concept of lack of spiritual knowledge flow in their unconscious state of state of mind is the cause of flowing sorrow or distress in their thought. Neither they want to become aware of this fact nor as such themselves are responsible for their own sorrows.
fresco

Mon 11 May, 2009 10:54 am
@Kenson,
Quote:
Really most people do not accept the concept of lack of spiritual knowledge flow in their unconscious state of state of mind is the cause of flowing sorrow or distress in their thought. Neither they want to become aware of this fact nor as such themselves are responsible for their own sorrows.

We are pretty intelligent here. We recognize "word salad" when we see it !

I repeat from above, facare- to construct. "Facts" are constructed points of mutual agreement, and we don't agree as you point out in your first line.
0 Replies