Kenson

Fri 8 May, 2009 09:16 pm
What God is not, rather than by describing what God is.

Theologians make positive statements about the nature of God such as saying that God is omniscient, omnipotent, all-loving, all-good, and so on.

However, in doing so, several problems of theodicy and logic arise.
For example, if God is all powerful, then could God create a rock that even He could not lift?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 4,514 • Replies: 49
Topic Closed
No top replies

Xenoche

Fri 8 May, 2009 09:21 pm
Real.
Wilso

Fri 8 May, 2009 09:33 pm
@Xenoche,
Ditto
ebrown p

Fri 8 May, 2009 09:43 pm
@Xenoche,
Amused.
0 Replies

Kenson

Sat 9 May, 2009 12:13 am
@Wilso,
"Let the little child come to me, and do not hinder, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
Diest TKO

Sat 9 May, 2009 01:12 am
@Kenson,
"Hey! Hey! we're the monkeys! We're just monkeying around."

T
K
O
0 Replies

Francis

Sat 9 May, 2009 01:16 am
Kenson wrote:
What God is not?

Necessary.
Wilso

Sat 9 May, 2009 02:16 am
@Kenson,
Kenson wrote:

"Let the little child come to me, and do not hinder, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

There's a very wide range of medications these days that can very effectively deal with that problem.
fresco

Sat 9 May, 2009 02:20 am
@Kenson,
Word games ?
"is-ness" exactly mirrors "is not -ness" in an assumption that we know what "existence" means. We don't !
0 Replies

aidan

Sat 9 May, 2009 02:32 am
@Francis,
Quote:
Kenson wrote:
What God is not?
Francis answered:
Necessary.

Speak for yourself. Unless you know something I don't know - maybe that you're capable of and planning to implement something else that would make a belief in a god unnecessary for the billions of people on earth who derive something of value from that belief.
Francis

Sat 9 May, 2009 04:16 am
@aidan,
It never came to my mind, what an awful idea, that I could be your spokesman.

I'm the owner of my notions and concepts and I, time to time, express them.

I believe, in order to keep the social organization, that religion is not a bad thing but, as everything, it has to be taken in homeopathic doses.

However, your pretense that I have to replace God by some other concept, show the limits of human understanding of other people's mind..

0 Replies

Kenson

Sat 9 May, 2009 07:25 am
@Wilso,
"Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

"You of little faith, "why did you doubt?"
Francis

Sat 9 May, 2009 07:56 am
@Kenson,
Playing around with quotes from your fairy book, isn't it funny?
fresco

Sat 9 May, 2009 08:15 am
@Francis,
Francis,

I agree with you that a "God" concept is not necessary for us atheists, but alas it does seem a psychological necessity for others at the psychological level. At the social level, history shows clearly that the concept is more pernicious than beneficial.

Our friend Kenson is not going to be shifted from his assumed role of "enlightening us" with what we recognize as"word magic". Indeed, like other evangelists, he may be earning "celestial credits" for sparring with "the Devil".
Kenson

Sat 9 May, 2009 09:02 am
@fresco,
>>>>>Indeed, like other evangelists, he may be earning "celestial credits" for sparring with "the Devil". <<<<<<<

.. may be earning "celestial credits" for sparring with "the Devil" ?? Ha hahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.............

An atheist cannot understand what is the INNER meaning of the word 'God' or 'Devil' or 'Satan' or 'Heven' or 'Hell'!
fresco

Sat 9 May, 2009 09:12 am
@Kenson,
I smell Gnosticism !

Go on.... try us !

Are you going to play with the English text, the Latin, the Greek, the Aramaic or the Hebrew ?
Kenson

Sat 9 May, 2009 09:33 am
@fresco,
Which one is your favourite?
fresco

Sat 9 May, 2009 09:43 am
@Kenson,
They are all equivalently "meaningful" only with respect to their original social context. Since that context has passed, "meaning" becomes idiosyncratic or relative. Absolutists are in denial of that.
0 Replies

Francis

Sat 9 May, 2009 09:58 am
fresco wrote:
At the social level, history shows clearly that the concept is more pernicious than beneficial.

Because the concept has been hijacked by the powerful and used for other purposes (perpetration of crimes) than its original one.

People of faith being accomplices by omission, obviously.

fresco

Sat 9 May, 2009 10:05 am
@Francis,
Yes, the reification of "power" is a key element because it is associated with proxy omnipotence.
0 Replies