Forums are being hacked. Are we protected ?

fresco

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 06:06 am
I monitor a couple of other forums one of which has now been disabled by a hacker. I don't know how much damage was done, or whether the operation is designed to spread viruses amongst users. (Don't worry, I didn't log in !)

Any comments ?

View best answer, chosen by fresco
djjd62

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 06:13 am
all your base are belong to us
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 08:04 am
@fresco,
If you like me are running windows all you can do is to keep your system up with the monthly patches run security programs and hope a lot.

Oh it is also slightly helpful to run your brower not in as an admin account. If you are running XP google a program call dropmyrights.

However if you are running linux or mac or any other os you could relaxed.
djjd62

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 08:31 am
@BillRM,
i "heart" my mac
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 09:21 am
@djjd62,
get a Mac , it is free of that **** (mostly)
BillRM

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
You are correct it is mostly free of that **** however it is largely due to the fact that even now the mac platform only have ten percent of the market and not that long ago it was only 3 percent.

But for whatever the reason it is a nice safe platform.
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 12:25 pm
@BillRM,
well, not everyone can afford a Mac, I understand
BillRM

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 01:55 pm
@farmerman,
Apple should had been a software company instead of a hardware/os company in my opinion.

In any case now that the hardware foundation is the same there are people hacking mac os on windows hardware.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:46 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
However if you are running linux or mac or any other os you could relaxed.

Absolute nonsense. Folks who think Macs are invulnerable have a false sense of security because of folks like you talking out of your rear.

Pwn2Own 2009: Safari/MacBook falls in seconds

Quote:
Charlie Miller has done it again. For the second consecutive year, the security researcher hacked into a fully patched MacBook computer by exploiting a security vulnerability in Apple’s Safari browser.

“It took a couple of seconds. They clicked on the link and I took control of the machine,” Miller said moments after his accomplishment.

The contest kicked off at exactly 3:15 PM and, within seconds, Miller launched his drive-by attack and claimed the $10,000 top prize. He also got to keep the MacBook machine.

Gone in 2 minutes: Mac gets hacked first in contest

Quote:
The MacBook was the only system to be hacked by Thursday, however, the word on the show floor is that the Linux and Vista systems will meet with some serious challenges on Friday.

Miller, best known as one of the researchers who first hacked Apple's iPhone last year, didn't take much time. Within 2 minutes, he directed the contest's organizers to visit a Web site that contained his exploit code, which then allowed him to seize control of the computer, as about 20 onlookers cheered him on.

Mac easiest to hack, says $10,000 winner

Quote:
The security researcher who walked away with $10,000 yesterday by hacking a MacBook Air in less than two minutes said he chose to attack Apple Inc.'s operating system for one simple reason.

"It was the easiest one of the three," said Charlie Miller, an analyst at Independent Security Evaluators (ISE), a Baltimore-based security consultancy. "We wanted to spend as little time as possible coming up with an exploit, so we picked Mac OS X."

Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes

Quote:
Gaining root access to a Mac is "easy pickings," according to an individual who won an OS X hacking challenge last month by gaining root control of a machine using an unpublished security vulnerability.

Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:53 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
I monitor a couple of other forums one of which has now been disabled by a hacker. I don't know how much damage was done, or whether the operation is designed to spread viruses amongst users. (Don't worry, I didn't log in !)

I've cleaned up about a dozen such cases, in each case the only danger to the end users was that the hack put malicious code in the forum, trying to get adware installed on the end users' computers.

However, there are additional vectors for attack, such as identity theft. If you use the same password/email on other sites your login credentials might be compromised.

For example, let's say you use the same email/password on the forum as you do for paypal, there is danger to you that by hacking the forum they can gain access to other sites you log into.

But do note that most forum hacks are automated and they don't go beyond defacement and attempts at drive-by adware installation (which a patched computer is almost always going to protect you from).
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sure when 3 to 10 percents of computers are running mac the commerce virus makers are going to spend resources to write mac viruses!

The viruses worms ETC are written to attack windows OSs because they are 90 percent plus of the targets out there.

Who said no one can write such attacks I said they do not on the whole do so.

You are the one being the fool here not little old me.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sure you can be as safe as if you are running a Mac running a windows system with the OS being target by almost every black hat on the net, if you run a few layers of security let see avg. processguard. dropmyrights and sandboxie and I am almost as safe as a Mac assuming I keep my patches up to date also.

You need these layers of security on the window systems and not a mac because no one is spending time and real money in the real world attacking Mac systems.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh I forgot you should disable universal plug and play and disable autorun and on and on.

So many many security holes in windows it sometime feel like you are trying to keep water in a can that been hit by a couple of shotgun blasts.
0 Replies