Do you smoke cigarettes?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:44 pm
If we all could confine ourselves to the once a month or special occasion smoke, I am sure many of us that quit would do that. But, for most, the addiction would probably take over.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, more recently I react to smoke/cat hair - hard to separate - with a phantasmagoria of sneezing and coughing and chucking up glop, but that is long past the early days described above.

So, do smokers tend to have cats? (she says, playfully..)
roger

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes indeedy.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:05 pm
@roger,
As did I, when I smoked..
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
kismet or coincidence

this thread started around about the time i went cold turkey

day 3 now
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
We spay/neuter a lot of cats under our cheap poor-folks program that reek of cigarette smoke. I figure you're a heavy smoker if your cat smells like cigarettes.

Thing is, at today's prices, a pack-a-day smoker could pay for a cat spay at a low-end clinic by cutting back to half a pack for three months.

But, again, it is what it is. They don't piss me off as much as the people who come in and use our greatly subsidized services while telling us that they're saving up for a de-claw. I mean, c'mon...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:41 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

Yes, this kitten smokes.

I started when I was 11 (I usually lie about that, and up it to 17, but I could NEVER lie to A2K pals). I am now 47.

Would I like to quit? Why, yes. I can't say I'd "prefer" to be a smoker. Bad for me, messy, dirty, etc.

I am surprisingly healthy, not being overweight, drinking water more than anything else, eating fruits & veggies ('cause I like them), blah blah blah... excuses?

Where are all the smokers out there? Is everyone truly as virtuous as previous, non-smoking/once-smoking posters? Not me.

I smoke.

oh yeah, I didn't mean for this to be a slam against smokers, just getting a picture in my head.
chai2

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If we all could confine ourselves to the once a month or special occasion smoke, I am sure many of us that quit would do that. But, for most, the addiction would probably take over.

My mother was like that.

For years, every night while watching the 10 o'clock news, she'd have this 1 cigarette. No more, no less.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:48 pm
I don't really smoke anymore, but sometimes Stinky lights one and just leaves it laying there...

(I don't really drink anymore, either... ...)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:49 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
oh yeah, I didn't mean for this to be a slam against smokers, just getting a picture in my head.

Ummm, this being 2009 calling someone a smoker is about the same now as it was 20 years ago calling someone a fag. Smokers are used to the treatment, they expect it. Me, I light a cigar now and then as a giant "**** you" to the anti-tobacco NAZI's.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 10:36 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Ummm, this being 2009 calling someone a smoker is about the same now as it was 20 years ago calling someone a fag. Smokers are used to the treatment, they expect it.

Me, I light a cigar now and then as a giant "**** you" to the anti-tobacco NAZI's.

Doess this post stand for the proposition
that every citizen has the right to stink out every other citizen ?

David
Reyn

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 01:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Smokers are used to the treatment, they expect it.

Yes, rather like the treatment smokers gave non-smokers in public places, in the decades past.

After all, it was their "right" to have non-smokers join them in their foul air, right? Rolling Eyes
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:36 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
After all, it was their "right" to have non-smokers join them in their foul air, right?

Thing is, during the sixties and seventies I don't remember anyone having a problem with smoke, unless it was say an bar that was EXTREMELY smokey. Now we have loads of people who get offended if they so much as see a person smoking, even if the smoke never reaches them. You can't apply today's morality to history, though lord knows there are a whole batch of a2k'ers who can't resist making the attempt.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

we can debate the question of the right to smoke around kids, but this crap we have now about not being able to smoke in your own apartment or in your car unless the windows are rolled up is clearly aimed at punishing those who wish to partake in the legal product called cigarettes. These laws are extremely unconstitutional, and and indictment against those who wrote the laws and voted for them.
BorisKitten

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Er, you can't smoke at home or in your car? WTF?

I can! Is this really true in your area?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:49 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
BELMONT, Calif. " Officials in Belmont have given final approval to a new smoking ban that is considered to be one of the toughest in the nation.

After a late push to ease some of the restrictions, the Belmont City Council voted Tuesday to pass the anti-smoking ordinance.

Prohibitions on smoking in parks and other public places will take effect in 30 days. The ordinance's most hotly contested elements " which ban smoking inside apartments and condominiums " won't be enforced for another 14 months.

Officials say the ordinance was written so that smokers will only face enforcement if their neighbors complain.

People will still be able to smoke on Belmont's streets and sidewalks as long as they are not loitering near the entrance to homes or businesses and in parking lots and designated smoking areas.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300658,00.html

There are multiple places where it is illegal to smoke in a car if anyone 16-18 or younger is present. I did live in a place where it was illegal to smoke in your car without the windows rolled all of the way up.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 07:02 pm
Quote:

2009-01-27 18:15:32 - Smoking has been banned in private apartments in Belmont, California, a move supported and requested by Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), but that is only the latest in a series of smoking restrictions in places many smokers consider private, and nothing compared to what many voters would like to impose.

Judges in most states now issue orders banning smoking in a car or home -- sometimes even 24-48 hours before a child arrives -- to protect children involved in custody disputes from exposure.

Similarly, some 17 states have banned smoking in cars and private homes to protect foster children, and a growing number of jurisdictions have banned smoking in cars
when kids are present.

Nonsmokers are beginning to win law suits when tobacco drifts or recirculates into the apartments, and more private businesses are refusing to hire people who smoke, even if they only smoke off the job, some adoption agencies will not consider smokers as prospective parents, and some smokers are being denied operations because their refusal to discontinue smoking substantially increases the odds that the operation will not be successful.

More recently, New Haven, CT, and Truro in Canada, have banned smoking on some public streets, and the American Lung Association has said it will press for "smoking restrictions on sidewalks in commercial areas."

Surveys now show that almost 25% of voters would totally outlaw tobacco smoking, more than 50% would ban smoking in all homes, and many believe that "governments should make it illegal for people with children to smoke."

"Smokers poison the air the public and their own children are forced to breathe with toxic carcinogenic fumes, pollute the air in adjoining apartments, inflate taxes and the costs of health insurance for nonsmokers, are the major cause of residential fire deaths, kill thousands of their own children every year, and are a major contributor to litter on beaches, streets, and elsewhere. Isn't it time we stopped tolerating if not encouraging this outrageous behavior and harm to the public, and cracked down as we do with other child abusers, polluters, and public nuisances," suggests public interest law professor John Banzhaf, Executive Director of ASH.

PROFESSOR JOHN F. BANZHAF III
Executive Director and Chief Counsel
Action on Smoking and Health (ASH)
2013 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006, USA
(202) 659-4310 // ash.org

http://www.pr-inside.com/smoking-bans-spread-to-private-apartments-r1028332.htm

There is no doubt where these mentally challenged zealots wish to take the rest of us.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 07:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
quote="hawkeye10"]
Quote:

Quote:

we can debate the question of the right to smoke around kids,

Well, so far as I understand,
that question is unique to parental custody litigation,
the allegation having been that a parent has negatively affected
a kid with a breathing disorder.
If u mean something else, then please let us know.
Presumably, the accusing parent argues that while the other parent
has the right to smoke, he does not have the right to poison the kid.

I 'm really glad that I have no kids.

Quote:

but this crap we have now about not being able to smoke in your own apartment or in your car unless the windows are rolled up
is clearly aimed at punishing those who wish to partake in the legal product called cigarettes. These laws are extremely unconstitutional, and and indictment against those who wrote the laws and voted for them.

I certainly agree
that government was never granted jurisdiction to protect anyone
from his own poor judgment; any such law is egregiously unconstitutional,
but my question remains:
do u allege that every citizen has the right
to stink out any other citizen ?
If u allege that he does, will u identify the source of that right ?

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 07:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
BELMONT, Calif. " Officials in Belmont have given final approval to a new smoking ban that is considered to be one of the toughest in the nation.

After a late push to ease some of the restrictions, the Belmont City Council voted Tuesday to pass the anti-smoking ordinance.

Prohibitions on smoking in parks and other public places will take effect in 30 days. The ordinance's most hotly contested elements " which ban smoking inside apartments and condominiums " won't be enforced for another 14 months.

Officials say the ordinance was written so that smokers will only face enforcement if their neighbors complain.

People will still be able to smoke on Belmont's streets and sidewalks as long as they are not loitering near the entrance to homes or businesses and in parking lots and designated smoking areas.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300658,00.html
Quote:

There are multiple places where it is illegal to smoke in a car if anyone 16-18 or younger is present.
I did live in a place where it was illegal to smoke in your car without the windows rolled all of the way up.
Question:
if someone decides to burn some rubber tires,
do his neighbors have any legitimate complaint
about getting stunk out from that ??
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 08:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
but my question remains:
do u allege that every citizen has the right
to stink out any other citizen ?
If u allege that he does, will u identify the source of that right ?

Oh, please do continue.......where in the constitution do you get your alleged right to air that has been unadultered by human made odors??? Where do you read that you have the right to not come into contact with ideas/things/odors/people/reality (who/that) offend you??

You sir have the right to your freedom up till the point where it interferes with somebodies else's freedom, after that we need to talk but nothing is ruled in or out. Your freedom to breath clean air is in contest with my freedom to smoke my stogies, and we need to work it out, but your freedom rights do not take priority over my freedom rights just because your ways are clean living and mine are despicable IN YOUR OPINION.

I know that you know this David, and agree with me.