How do I rid my computer of Yahoo & reinstate Google as my search engine?

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:35 am
Somehow (?) there's been a change to Yahoo, which I don't want. What's the easiest way to remove it & reinstall Google?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 6,832 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by msolga
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:44 am
@msolga,
You don't mention what browser, and whether you mean a toolbar or your browser's default search (or both). Without that I can't give you specific instructions, but only general ones.

If it's just your browser's default search then look in the settings to change it to Google.

If it is a toolbar go to your add ons, plug ins, browser helper objects or whatever your browser calls such things and uninstall the one you want, and go to http://toolbar.google.com to install Google's toolbar.
msolga

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:49 am
@Robert Gentel,
I'm using Windows XP & I meant my default search, not the toolbar.
(Sorry, not good with computer terminology.)

Thanks, Robert.
Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:54 am
@msolga,
Go to Tools > Internet Options > General Tab > go down to the "Search" option and click "Settings" and you should be able to change it.
msolga

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:58 am
@Robert Gentel,
Done! Pretty easy. Smile

Thanks again, Robert.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 07:30 am
I have the same problem. It's like I've been hijacked by Yahoo. I used to have Google....

So, I've done exactly what Robert has recommended. Several times. It's still on Yahoo seach. When I go back to change it, it says Google is the default. But when I use it, it's Yahoo.

Windows XP. Address bar search.
caribou

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 07:47 am
@caribou,
Nevermind..... I fixed it!

Months ago, I had installed a toolbar that likes Yahoo. Everything was fine for awhile, but then I guess it's developers changed something causing yahoo to override my google preference.

I uninstalled the toolbar. Checked to see if having it gone was the answer. It was.
Then I reinstalled the toolbar, unclicking the boxes that would have caused the override again.

Now everything is fine. Google searches in my address bar and my silly toolbar with my timer for my silly game.
msolga

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 04:21 pm
@caribou,
Quote:
I fixed it!

Yay! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 05:43 am
@msolga,
A week later.

Today I installed IE 8

...& ended up with "Live Search" (? Confused ) which I don't want. And I've had to change it back to Google AGAIN! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies