carrie

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:52 pm
All going ok so far - chitted nicely and in the barrel, but have reams of conflicting advice on when to earth up around the haulm.

Some say every couple of inches, some say when the haulm reaches 9 inches then every 4 progressively. Problem is, some of my potatoes have a 2 inch haulm, some 3, some 6 - what do I do as they are all in the same barrel! Should I just cover them all in earth?

Thanks x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,974 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:25 pm
@carrie,
I have no idea what youre even talking about and Im a gardener.
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
haulm (hôm)
n. Chiefly British
The stems of peas, beans, potatoes, or grasses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English halm, straw, from Old English healm.]

I had to look it up as well.
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 02:38 pm
@mismi,
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/potato1.html

Hamburger gave us a wonderful link found on this thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/119750-1
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:31 pm
I didn't know what it was until a few weeks ago - very confusing. I think gradual earthing up may be the way to go, otherwise I am going to have foot tall stems before the others reach height
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 04:30 pm
@carrie,
potatoes are usually mounded to provide gradualt covering to their "haulm". They are a solinaceous plant , and like all plants in that family, will send out roots (and hopefully tubers) from covered sections of stem.
I just grow them in shallow soil and mound them with straw. The potatoes are cleaner and i pick them smaller for boiling. They get really flavorful. Ive seen some magazine articles on growing them in wooden kegs but I never tried them as a patio plant).

Good luck and gradually covering them in the barrel seems right.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:03 am
Well, you will be pleased to know that I covered them all up, regardles of height, and they are all growing like mad through the soil again. I am now gradually earthing up every few inches - not far to go until they are at the top.

0 Replies