Unresolved endings kind of piss me off. You?

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:43 am
@Linkat,
The new volleyball was a symbol for a new life. Including going back to the island.
0 Replies

LostBlackBook

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:15 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:
Yeah. I've watched the ending of Castaway six or seven times and I know the writer(s) wanted us to feel like -okay, now his life can go on. - but, there is something missing somehow. There he is. The island he is on is now the whole world intersected by two Texas Farm Roads. AND? He is still a castaway.

But... that's the point. She was his world. The island was just a metaphor, the package was just a metaphor for his work.

When I watched this film, I saw the island as more of an island and less of a metaphor. Viewing the island as a metaphor probably makes the film more enjoyable.

With that in mind, is there some way viewers can be warned to put on their literal goggles or their metaphorical goggles before a film starts so that they enjoy the film?
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:25 pm
@LostBlackBook,
You're right -- films often fail by not adequately cluing in the audience that there's a metaphorical or metaphysical underpinning to the story. A lot of unresolved endings occur because of this failure. You can still have the mystery without the being unnecessarily arcane, making it a director and writer's private little joke but nearly everyone never gets the punch line.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:27 pm
@LostBlackBook,
LostBlackBook wrote:
is there some way viewers can be warned to put on their literal goggles or their metaphorical goggles before a film starts so that they enjoy the film?

this is why i refuse to see films with islands or volleyballs in them
djjd62

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:28 pm
@djjd62,
if however somebody was to make a movie called "island of the naked beach volleyball vixens", i might make a concession
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:34 pm
@djjd62,
Laughing Maybe Roger Ebert could write that script!

Just from a posting on another thread about "Deja Vu" being a movie with a "Huh?" ending, I also thought of "Vanilla Sky" and "Bonfire of the Vanities."
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 09:02 am
@djjd62,
That's exactly the film I was going to mention!

The ending irritated me.
0 Replies