Your Easters: then & now.

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, I've had good friends (living in Oz & mainly from the US) who have been in a similar position to you, Jane. So I know what you mean. (Thanksgiving, in particular, seemed to be a particularly homesick time for them.) But on the credit side, Europe is not too far away from the US! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:21 am
Well I hope you're all enjoying your Easter break, wherever you are.
Here, where I am, Easter Sunday has been a perfect, peaceful day. Just the thing for those of us who need to unwind. It is just gorgeous outside - a bit after 4 pm. Sunny & not-quite-mid-twenties (C) temperatures for a few days now. (Balmy I'd call it! Smile I have managed a bit of work in the garden, a bit of reading, a bit of cleaning as I've A2Ked today. (Was going to go to a movie, but it seemed silly to spend the best part of a day like this indoors. Not many days like this before winter!) I have all my doors & windows open to let the fresh air in.)
Tomorrow night there will be traffic jams on all the highways/freeways leading back to Melbourne. As usual, the trip back to the city will be slow. Dadpad's town will (finally!) be emptied of all the tourists from the city & life will go back to normal there & all the other country areas where tourists go for their Easter break. On Tuesday most folk will return to the grind ... no more breaks like this for quite a while now.

Can I just say how much I've enjoyed reading your posts to this thread? I really have. And ehBeth's photographs, of course! It's been a pleasure! Smile
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:31 am
@msolga,
and now a bit of Easter amusement from the albums I've got (I had fits trying to get these online last night)

http://images.ladypb298.multiply.com/image/1:plantspetspeople/photos/115/600x600/1/with-alison-cooley-april-1967.jpg?et=FWP9XxZpN%2Bbki8G8lEyi%2Bg&nmid=229876607

April 1967 with Alison C
we dressed up in our Centennial costumes
Easter must have been a bit late that year as the tulips were already in bloom

(don't we just look like real pioneers)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:34 am
@ehBeth,
a decade later

Easter Monday 1977 in Thunder Bay on the side of a stream that ran into the Kaministique River

http://images.ladypb298.multiply.com/image/1:plantspetspeople/photos/115/600x600/3/easter-1977.jpg?et=2EOOSVg94is7P42pfT6Lyg&nmid=229876607

my notes on the back tell me to notice the snow on the opposite bank and says that Lim and I have on bathing suits.

I'm with my friends Sheree, Winnie, Lim, Jorge, Eugene, Poon and Tuin. They were in Canada studying - originally from Guyana, Hong Kong, Honduras and Singapore.

(smiling again - I really really really seem to enjoy Easter)
saab

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 08:04 am
@ehBeth,
Enjoyed your Easter pictures.

Here you can find out exactly on what date Easter fell a certain year.

http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/freq3.html#LBY

1967 it was 26th of March
aidan

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:33 am
@saab,
It is beautiful here. The weather is perfect and people seemed happy today.
I bought a strip of raffle tickets for the Sue Ryder charity which assists people with learning disabilities and special needs and out of five tickets - I won three prizes- two chocolate eggs - and a stuffed bunny. So I felt very lucky this Easter.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 01:37 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

It is beautiful here. The weather is perfect and people seemed happy today.
I bought a strip of raffle tickets for the Sue Ryder charity which assists people with learning disabilities and special needs and out of five tickets - I won three prizes- two chocolate eggs - and a stuffed bunny. So I felt very lucky this Easter.

Was the Bunny stuffed with Chocolate ?
aidan

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 02:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No - it was just stuffed with whatever stuffed animals are stuffed with. I'm gonna give it to my little friend Winnie - she's five - six in June.

Hope you had a nice Easter David.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 02:53 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
No - it was just stuffed with whatever stuffed animals are stuffed with.

Just as well; I don 't believe that bunny rabbits enjoy chocolate.
When I was 8, I had some rabbits,
but it did not occur to me to test their tastes qua chocolate.

Quote:

I'm gonna give it to my little friend Winnie - she's five - six in June.

Hope you had a nice Easter David.

U too, Rebecca !

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 03:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Totally off the wall comment from me, ehBeth (oh, how unusual) - love your hair in the picture when you and friends are older. That's the kind of angle I simply cannot manage to convey by conversation, drawings, whatever, to hair salon folk of either low end or high end, mall cheapos to Beverly Hills establishments, and thus I've evolved to a be a do it yourselfer, a matter that is fraught with error. How would you describe that cut?

Past that zoning in, I'm enjoying the photos a lot.
margo

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 04:18 pm

great photos, Bethie!

We don't seem to have any traditions here - except for the get out of town one (and not all of us visited dadpad). I'm down the south coast again, and am heading home in an hour or so. The predicted rain has finally arrived, so I'll aim to be on the road by 10am - 2 hours or more back to Sydney.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossoB - as I recall that cut, it was something I made up and had my aunt cut for me

I had her cut around the hairline with the hair being 2 inches long, then gradually increasing 'out' til the longest hair on top was about 5 inches long. She worked with a ruler. Not sure it would make sense to anyone else.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Indeed it doesn't, I've tried for years, no matter what length one starts at. One guy got it, great haircut, and then the next time, after I asked for the same cut, he did the direct opposite. (frowns)
0 Replies