LIVE ON STAGE AND DEAD

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:39 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida -- The St. Petersburg city council passed a law yesterday designed to scuttle a rock group's plans to feature an onstage suicide.
The hard-rock band Hell on Earth had said that a suicide by a terminally ill person would take place during a concert Saturday to raise awareness of right-to-die issues.
In response, city council unanimously approved an emergency ordinance making it illegal to conduct a suicide for commercial or entertainment purposes, and illegal to host, promote and sell tickets for such an event.
"While I still think it's a publicity stunt, we still couldn't sit idly by and let somebody lose their life," council member Bill Foster said.
Circuit Judge John Lenderman granted the city a temporary injunction against the band, preventing them from advertising the show and allowing the suicide. The judge scheduled a hearing in the case Thursday.
The Tampa-based band, known for such outrageous onstage stunts as chocolate syrup wrestling and grinding up live rats in a blender, first created the furor by announcing earlier this month that the suicide would happen during a show at the State Theatre in downtown St. Petersburg.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 817 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:39 pm
eeyep.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 12:02 am
I read an article similar to this yesterday. I'm glad the performance was stopped.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 11:38 am
My Gawd, dys. Shocked This is one time the politicos were doing something positive.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:46 pm
Was the performance stopped in its entirety, or just the suicide part?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:07 pm
Saw on the news today that they are going ahead with it anyway, in an undisclosed place and to a select audience.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:55 am
Their intent is to raise awareness about physician-assisted suicide, however, I think their cause is to peruse notoriety and make a whole lot of money in the process.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:02 am
I heard the "select" audience will be the entire internet.
They plan to do a web-cast.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:30 pm
Here is an update.

WEB ATTACK STOPS SUICIDE ROCK WEBCAST

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - An Internet broadcast of a concert that was to feature a suicide of a terminally ill person did not happen Saturday because the Web site was attacked. The band's leader said the concert still went on, but he didn't know whether the suicide did. Billy Tourtelot, the bandleader of Hell on Earth, said Saturday night that his group performed at an undisclosed St. Petersburg location as scheduled and that he was unaware of the Internet problems until after the show.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:32 pm
I bet it wasn't an "attack"I bet they just generated enough publicity with this stunt to take down their server.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
"Hell on Earth's Web site was attacked Saturday evening by a flood of data from computers somewhere in Hong Kong, said Jason Trindade, the operator of a San Diego-based technology company that hosts the site".

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SUICIDE_CONCERT?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:02 pm
Hmm, well they say it came from Hong Kong so maybe they were DoSed. Hopefully the attack is not just another gimmick.
0 Replies