IS PARADIGMATIC LITERATURE HELLISH?

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 04:29 pm
When u read a typical novel or play, events occur along the storyline.
That storyline is usually a string of disasters,
with the hero generating sporadic efforts to MITIGATE them,
and to rehabilitate the situation, as well as possible; patchwork.

If we drew a borderline between the realm of joy & beauty
and the realm of misery & ugliness,
all of the action in all of the stories takes place in semi-hell.

Woud it be more enjoyable to read novels whose events
have occasion to bring about HAPPINESS, instead of pathetic anguish?

I believe that it woud.

I believe that there is a school of thought
that in order to be INTERESTING, a story must be fraught with pain, alarm n distress.
I don 't spend my tuition in that school.

Agree? Disagree?

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,303 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 05:25 pm
If Sam Spade spends all his time boozing and wisecracking with the secretary, with no cases to crack, who is going to read about it?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If Sam Spade spends all his time boozing and wisecracking
with the secretary, with no cases to crack, who is going to read about it?

Agreed.
That means that the storyline consists of nothing ever happening; (the cracking does not count as anything),
but suppose that instead of cases about someone getting murdered,
he gets cases in which someone arrives mysteriously
and leaves 3 bricks of solid gold behind; he is engaged to find out what the hell is going on,
n while he 's on-the-job he hits the lottery n the secretary wins the Nobel Prize for Secretarying,
but before she can claim it, her dear old mother calls n says
that she fell out of bed unexpectedly, and whereas she'd had years of impaired hearing:
now she can hear birds singing 7 blocks away n she got an unexpected BIG refund from the IRS; stuff like that.
aidan

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:03 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, there's supposed to be a conflict - and I guess the word 'conflict' connotes at least some sort of tension-which wouldn't be brought about by purely nonconflictual and happy events.

But yes, it seems we have been programmed to be more interested in tragedy- maybe because we don't want it to happen to us, we'd rather just read about it or watch it happening to someone else. You know, experience it vicariously.
What do you think that says about us?
Even as a happy person myself, I enjoy Shakespeare's tragedies more than his comedies...they're more psychologically interesting to me.
I do love mysteries and especially murder mysteries. Not because I enjoy the thought of anyone getting murdered - but I am interested in why the perpetrator does whatever s/he does.
Unfortunately, so few of the movies or books written or produced ever investigate that aspect fully enough for my tastes. More often the treatment is just a surface and gratuitous portrayal of violence, because that's what most people seem to enjoy. Like you and your Death Wish movies David... Laughing Laughing
(Gotcha!!)
Again, what do you think that says about us?

But I found a book about a woman and her garden written in the late nineteenth century. It was a first edition - I found it in a used bookstore in Woodstock when I lived in New York last year and I bought it because when I stood there and read the first pages - it reminded me so much of how I felt gardening and in a garden - so happy and pleased with the sensual world around me. That's a totally happy book that became a minor classic back then. Maybe people were different then.
It's packed away, but if I can find it, I'll excerpt from it for you. See what you think-and you can tell me whether a novel length description of total contentment and happiness would hold your attention.
It held mine - but probably only because it was about flowers and plants.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 02:22 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Well, there's supposed to be a conflict - and I guess the word 'conflict' connotes at least some sort of tension-which wouldn't be brought about by purely nonconflictual and happy events.

Yes.
There is.
I have seized that concept and I am holding it for scrutinous examination.

Quote:
But yes, it seems we have been programmed to be more interested in tragedy- maybe because we don't want it to happen to us, we'd rather just read about it or watch it happening to someone else.

Is that indicative of Sadism ?

Quote:
You know, experience it vicariously.
What do you think that says about us?

If WE r intentionally experiencing it, then it raises questions of masochism.

Quote:
Even as a happy person myself, I enjoy Shakespeare's tragedies more than his comedies...they're more psychologically interesting to me.
I do love mysteries and especially murder mysteries. Not because I enjoy the thought of anyone getting murdered - but I am interested in why the perpetrator does whatever s/he does.
Unfortunately, so few of the movies or books written or produced ever investigate that aspect fully enough for my tastes.

People tend to prefer shallower analyses; less work for more indifference.

Quote:
More often the treatment is just a surface and gratuitous portrayal of violence, because that's what most people seem to enjoy. Like you and your Death Wish movies David... Laughing Laughing
(Gotcha!!)
Again, what do you think that says about us?

Those movies concerned the Bronson character avenging
his wife n daughter, not ascertaining the reasons for their brutalizations.
I surmise that the audiences deemed the root causes of personal greed satisfied thru predatory violence and sadism were facially plain enuf to not require elucidation.
Bronson 's character cared about WHAT was done
to the victims, not the reasons therefor.

Quote:

But I found a book about a woman and her garden written in the late nineteenth century. It was a first edition - I found it in a used bookstore in Woodstock when I lived in New York last year and I bought it because when I stood there and read the first pages - it reminded me so much of how I felt gardening and in a garden - so happy and pleased with the sensual world around me. That's a totally happy book that became a minor classic back then. Maybe people were different then.
It's packed away, but if I can find it, I'll excerpt from it for you. See what you think-and you can tell me whether a novel length description of total contentment and happiness would hold your attention.

I very recently wrote an optimistic short story sci-fi,
based on a TV show, essentially of the tenor of the above post
to Ed. Instead of multiple disasters, problems were resolved
by goodness boms exploding all over unexpectedly.

Quote:

It held mine - but probably only because it was about flowers and plants.
Thay can be among the good things that happen.
U can strike oil, while u r digging.
David
0 Replies