ABUZZERS getting wise to able2know

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 09:15 am
ehBeth- When I first started using A2K, I thought that it was set up in a peculiar way, and very difficult to navigate. Slowly, I learned the most efficient way for me to plow through the site.

The way that I get through the site is nothing like the way that I accessed Abuzz. Now that I am used to it, I have no problems. I actually find it MUCH easier to use than Abuzz.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 09:22 am
Phoenix, the process here is fairly common to other forums i've visited. Not difficult to use (or design, i suspect, as it is so common). At the same time, it doesn't have the same stylistic flare of Abuzz.

There are also some types of threads that i find work better on Abuzz, as they 'require' an ability to scroll up and down through threads without pagination and 'box' disruption.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 02:17 pm
common doesn't equal easy BTW, but I will soon add new templates to this forum to give it rounded looks etc and then members will be able to decide what "skin" they use.

I will also create code to let each member determine their pagination threshold so if you want no pagination you can have the thread on one page.

I think there is one thing that Abuzz is superior in and that is the word matching of interactions to members.

I am working on that feature but plan to do it a bit better (of course my plans aren't always realized).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 02:28 pm
I agree with Phoenix -- it's a matter of a few hours to get used to the functionality of this site and the speed of navigating around without constant errors and browser crashes. Abuzz originally did not have those bugs until they reloaded it into much smaller, older server at Boston.com which can't handle the traffic. Now that I'm used to this forum design, Abuzz looks and acts strangely to me. Not to mention that I peeked into the Film category over there and it was a wasteland of silly posts.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 02:51 pm
Craven- Did you know that for most of the time that I was on Abuzz, I requested NO E Mails. Before I did that, Abuzz used to throw me the "kitchen sink". I would much rather scan thru the topics that I like, and pick and choose.

The only place where I have seen great matching is on Amazon. Often I have clicked on their suggestions, listened a bit, and have bought what Robbie the Robot thought I would like! Pretty smart, for a piece of tin! Very Happy
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 05:07 pm
Oh silly me!!! Here I was, hoping that this was
a "secret society" - not open for all ears & eyes
to come sneaking in, impersonating other members,
posting absurd, nerdy and gross threads - and being
disgruntled, ill mannered, and just generally
out of order! I am still stuck in a peter pan idealistic
never never land; I know, I know, & its off to work I go.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 05:31 pm
I still pop into Abuzz to pick at some of the absolute idiots there, but there's no real conversation going on, and I must admit to being known for a foul mouth on occasion, but sometimes you have to communicate in your opponents language. This seems a much nicer venue, but I haven't seen a lot of differing opinions either.

I noticed one guy arguing with Craven on a political thread that reminded me very much of massagatto on his best behavior.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 05:34 pm
Bi-Polar:

I noticed your thread on Abuzz, the other day concerning your son's high cost for medication. Have you, by any chance resolved this problem of high medical costs?

Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 05:46 pm
No, and I expect there is no solution, Stephen is still getting Medicaid but I think his benefits are going to go downhill soon along qith everyone elses.

My son is also developmentally delayed but I wasn't about to mention that and hear a constant litany of how my son is a retard like all liberals, blah blah blah.

The point of my post was that people who actually need the aid will soon be without it and there will be no empathy for them, while at the same time we will be told how much better things are.

The multiple personality crowd is beyond stupid, as you know. I hope they can be kept out of here, but they'll be snooping around soon enough I fear.

We have cared for Stephen for many years now, he turned 20 Thanksgiving day, and we will continue to as long as it's possible to do so.
Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 06:56 pm
babsatamelia wrote:
Oh silly me!!! Here I was, hoping that this was
a "secret society" - not open for all ears & eyes
to come sneaking in, impersonating other members,
posting absurd, nerdy and gross threads - and being
disgruntled, ill mannered, and just generally
out of order! I am still stuck in a peter pan idealistic
never never land; I know, I know, & its off to work I go.

babsatamelia, this is an open forum and is listed on Google. Expect to see people you don't know eventually arriving. And that's a good thing. This isn't a closed club house. We will have new people, and will make new friends. In my five years online, I've found that the vast, vast, vast majority of people are decent and kind.

And I'm here to deal with the troublemakers. If you have any problems in that area, contact support at http://www.able2know.com/contact.php and I will see to it that those problems are resolved. You have my word on that. I am not a lazy person. Able2Know isn't just going to be ignored like some other forums.

Impostering is 100% impossible. I couldn't create a new account with the user name babsatamelia even if I wanted to - and neither can anyone else. That name is reserved because you're using it. This is why you can't change your user name in your account.

As for "absurd, nerdy and gross threads - and being disgruntled, ill mannered, and just generally out of order!": I have no idea what you mean by absurd or nerdy threads. What you find absurd, others may find funny. What you find nerdy, others may find helpful. As for gross threads, they'll be pulled as quickly as possible. Again, contact support at http://www.able2know.com/contact.php and those problems will be addressed.

As for people being disgruntled, well, I can't change their moods, no more than anyone else can. And there's a difference between, I believe you'll agree, people who are just disgusted with life and people who take it out on one another. Everyone, if they feel put upon, is (do I sound like a broken record yet?) encouraged to contact support at http://www.able2know.com/contact.php and report such incidents so that they may be addressed.

Ill-mannered is a matter of degree. This isn't a garden party, but it's not a barroom brawl, either. I know some users are more sensitive than others. I attempt to strike a balance but - I am not a mind-reader and cannot know if you (or anyone else, for that matter) are offended unless you tell me.

Finally, as for "being ... generally out of order", we have a Terms of Service. Have you seen it? A link is at the bottom of virtually every page, including this one. If you're seeing people who are violating the Terms of Service (AKA the Membership Agreement), say it with me: send a note to support at http://www.able2know.com/contact.php and I will look into it. :-D

PS Bi-Polar - I hope Stephen can keep his benefits. If you have a url wherein a letter can be sent (your Congressman, etc.), why not post it? I'm sure many A2Kers would be interested in sending along their thoughts to the lawmakers who should see them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 08:41 pm
Thank you Jespah, I am thankful and I really am... that at least we are resourceful people who have a way of making things happen and keeping things going. There are some unfortunate people who have even worse problems than my son, and just don't know how to network to get things done to help themselves or their loved ones.

And yes, there are some lazy asses who just plain use the system while lying around, but we will always have those people, and there's no use throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Anyway, thanks.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:17 am
I am with you Asherman, Abuzz
was certainly becoming a stagnant
cesspool of gooooey boogers, expecially
because all you guys left and moved here
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 12:57 am
I am one of those that once in a while was on Abuzz for some 3 to 4 yrs. Came over here & feel I slipped on accidently. Seems all I was asked was my e-mail addy, handle I would use & my password. Not a thing about if I wanted this or that broadcast to all or kept hush, to even if I had a Profile.
Took me a few days before I could even have my handle & password accepted, for I must have been doing something wrong. Feel I ran across someone asking me if I was going to supply a Profile & would only do not know how I do that. So I still have a lot to learn & feel as if I am walking down the trail with one foot in the ditch & the other sort of on the trail.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 01:00 am
Opps a type error. the "--feel I slipped on accidently--" should read "--slipped IN accidently---". My apologizies
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 05:27 am
Smitty- One of the glories of A2K is the "edit" button. It is not necessary for you to write a post explaining your mistake. simply hit "edit", and make the changes.

It is one of my favorite features, as I make typos, often! Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 06:27 am
Babsatamelia - I, for one, have not left abuzz to come here, I visit both. I suppose it is natural to play a lot with a new toy, and I have limited net time, but I think it is worth saying again that it is not abuzz vs able2know - in my opinion.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 10:36 am
Abuzz seems to be suddenly lacking in participants other than the political bashers. In the last week it seems to have degraded considerably, for example, this morning, only one of the interactions I've been involved in was updated. And I had been involved in close to 1300.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 01:33 pm
I met with Farmerman and Jeanbean to discuss Osage Orange. The good discussions are rare and sometimes brief.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:33 pm
Bi-Polar Bear, you said the following:

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
"I still pop into Abuzz to pick at some of the absolute idiots there, but there's no real conversation going on, and I must admit to being known for a foul mouth on occasion, but sometimes you have to communicate in your opponents language."

I think I've tried to take a different approach. If I ran into someone I knew from experience to be incorrigible, I treated himer as if shehe were not even there. I simply would not give them the time of day, Period. If I got into the argument with someone who then turned nasty, I'd admonish them about good behavior, which sometimes worked. If it did not work, I just turned them off, and encouraged everyone else on the thread to do the same. Just because someone writes something does not mean we have to read it.

The quandary that would occasionally arise was this: rarely, someone who really had something worth saying would couch the whole thing in hateful or condescending language. Once or twice I tried to engage such a person but ended up disengaging. I did once see such a one reduce to saying uncle to his interlocutor because he was bested by far in depth of knowledge. He thought he knew all there was to know on a topic, but he was overwhelmed.

I like to swear as much as the next person, but arguments are hard enough to win without introducing all that emotion.I know there are more considerations than I have mentioned here, but this has been my general approach.

I've had no problems on A2K.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:02 pm
Abuzz has been down since early yesterday. Every time we ask: Is this the end? they come back on. But this is an extra long time. Could it be -?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 03:30:40