ABUZZERS getting wise to able2know

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 12:05 pm
I just saw a new thread on Abuzz asking about this site. The author, gentile says he has heard that many of the good guys have gone over here. It's just a matter of time until they all know and come investigate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,911 • Replies: 81
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 12:25 pm
And we will be here to welcome them! :-D
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 12:44 pm
Well, there are some that I'd just as soon couldn't find their way here. Political and religious rant is a drag, and enough wanabe child gangstas clutering up threads already, ya know wha i meen?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 12:49 pm
Edgar:

I also saw that thread. Seems like they're having a hard time finding us.

Drunk
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 12:54 pm
Sheesh, don't get testy. Sometimes, I like this site for rational conversation. Sometimes, I prefer Abuzz for the opportunity to tell some jerk where to get off, or just to be a wiseass. It's ALL good.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 01:20 pm
So, what are we all doing here? Can someone give me some tips on how to use this new site? It's not Abuzz, but it's not bad.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 01:31 pm
The main thing to keep in mind is that there are actually people here who can keep things civilized, so even if nutjobs do follow the breadcrumb trail (and they will), if they act up, they'll be dealt with. We are open to all, but since this site is so new, are hoping to get all the duckies in a nice neat little row before we open the floodgates, that's all.

Hi cjhsa! Any specific questions? There's a FAQ you can check out:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/faq.php
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 01:58 pm
Sozobe Embarrassed Laughing

Asherman - I resemble that remark....

ps - I think - well then - I am!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 02:34 pm
It's going to be fun and interesting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 02:42 pm
Looked to me that Abuzz crashed again a few days ago, eliminating that day's early postings (21st). That's enough to discourage the most aggressive poster but...maybe not. What we don't need especially are the cut-and-pasters from NewsMax and The NY Post. I posted one Arianna column but we don't need daily news rehashed in this forum.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 03:04 pm
This site is going to be on Google really soon (very likely before the end of the year). We'll be seeing lots and lots of people - some we'll know and like. Others we'll know and maybe won't like quite so much. Others we won't know at all.

And that's fine. I think it's cool, personally. I see everyone coming in as a brand-new person for me to get to know, someone with whom I have little to no history. I know we can't always forget about prior interactings, but if we try, we might find starting afresh to be a liberating experience. I know that's the way it's been for me. :-D
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 03:13 pm
Exactly jespah, I agree new members will only add to the site. We have moderators that can and will nip any problems in the bud. Remember how many joined Abuzz after they advertised. Most of them were great and Abuzz was great while there was staff.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 04:09 pm
I am guessing that posting endless cut-and-paste would be considered spamming -- taking up data space with pages of stuff that should be only linked to. There's plenty of news sites on the Internet -- it was aggravating wading through pages of essentially cut-and-paste garbage on Abuzz to find something valid to interact on.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 04:15 pm
If endless cut and paste is posted, it'll be deleted. Just give a moderator the link and it will be taken care of. This isn't something to be worried about. :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 04:23 pm
Lightwizard- I have sometimes been guilty of "cutting and pasting". I usually do it for one of two reasons, Either the article is very short, or in a recent case, it was from the Wall Street Journal. I have a subscription, and originally I posted the link. When I previewed it, I got a message that you had to be a subscriber to access the page. Therefore, the only way to get the information to people was to cut and paste.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 04:25 pm
Ah, good point - cut and paste deletions will be subject to exceptions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 05:37 pm
Bring on the new blood. The greater the variety of opinions and views the better - that has always been one of Abuzz's strengths - I've been to sites where everyone basically agrees on everything - beyond boring. Far beyond boring.

Being on Abuzz has forced me to learn to defend my opinions on things that matter to me. It's also helped me to define more clearly (to myself) what I really care about.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 05:55 pm
Just a thought here ... would it be possible to set up an "Ignore User" function on this board? A number of web forums have that capability, and it is nice to be able to just "plonk" a repeated offender, causing that viloator's posts never to appear in your own interaction list. One such forum to which I subscribe had been afflicted by trolls, who, of course, thrived on the attention their disruptions and rants caused. Within weeks of the implementation of the "Ignore User" feature, the trolls, deprived of significant interaction, grew bored and went elsewhere. From time to time, a troll finds its way to the forum, but is quickly "plonked" and ignored by most members. Of course, with several active, dedicated, caring moderators here, the problem may be solved before it really starts.

timber
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 05:58 pm
We will do our level best to maintain Able2Know as a "troll-free" website!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 06:24 pm
Lets wait and see, Timber. Abuzz needs it; I'm not sure we ever will.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ABUZZERS getting wise to able2know
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:46:02