A2K Chess Game Test: Anyone vs. Anyone

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Formal or informal, I just like to play. I'll think about it.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

Ok, so the notation for castling is O-O kingside, and O-O-O for queenside. Had to look it up.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:44 pm
By the way, Cyclo. Sorry about doubling up the pawns before you took over.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 08:54 pm
Hi guys. I've just tuned into this thread a short while ago and taking keen interest.

Well done on the setup, Robert!

I'm not sure how well it will work having multiple players on both sides. Here's a thought:
We could have one player on each side and folks could kibitz by sending PMs to whichever side they are rooting for?

Probably would be best to dedicate one game per thread with it being titled Player 1 vs Player 2. Also, it should be clear that we are mostly playing correspondence chess here, not blitz. So, opponents should not expect immediate replies. That's mostly not too practicle due to differences in time zones and spare time restraints.

Thoughts on how to proceed?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:37 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Hi guys. I've just tuned into this thread a short while ago and taking keen interest.

Well done on the setup, Robert!

I'm not sure how well it will work having multiple players on both sides. Here's a thought:
We could have one player on each side and folks could kibitz by sending PMs to whichever side they are rooting for?

Probably would be best to dedicate one game per thread with it being titled Player 1 vs Player 2. Also, it should be clear that we are mostly playing correspondence chess here, not blitz. So, opponents should not expect immediate replies. That's mostly not too practicle due to differences in time zones and spare time restraints.

Thoughts on how to proceed?

Start threads between two people who are scheduled to play; if others try and butt in, just ignore them and respond only to the actual person you are playing against. Kibitzing is a real unfortunate issue but unavoidable.

Agree, well done on the setup.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, does this setup recognize a move that is made illegally?

-------------
I think myself that only casual games will be practical currently. In correspondence chess setups, one choses to move 'X' number of days between moves. Otherwise, an opponent can "win on time". So, what I'm saying is that I don't think league games are going to work well.

------------
Having said that, I am interested in starting a casual game with one other person. Please repond, and we will start. You can chose your colour.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:32 am
@Robert Gentel,

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:34 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Robert, does this setup recognize a move that is made illegally?

I believe it does; it wouldn't allow me to make a false move earlier.

Quote:

I think myself that only casual games will be practical currently. In correspondence chess setups, one choses to move 'X' number of days between moves. Otherwise, an opponent can "win on time". So, what I'm saying is that I don't think league games are going to work well.

Agreed.

Quote:
Having said that, I am interested in starting a casual game with one other person. Please repond, and we will start. You can chose your colour.

If nobody else shows interest within a day or so, I'll play ya!

We should come up with a naming convention for the threads and a boilerplate for the first post, laying out the rules and requests for others who are viewing.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 09:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
If nobody else shows interest within a day or so, I'll play ya!

We should come up with a naming convention for the threads and a boilerplate for the first post, laying out the rules and requests for others who are viewing.

Okay, good.

The title can be something as simple as:
Chess: Reyn vs Cycloptichorn (or Cycloptichorn vs Reyn, depending on who takes what colour)

That way, it will tell others, if they're not interested in chess, that a game is in progress.

Unfortunately, some wiseacre can come by and put in a spoiler move for either side. So, some frusteration may occur.

I would prefer that no outside help be given to either side, and of course, the usual correspondence chess rules, that being, no chess engines, etc.

I, myself, don't use any aides of any kind, once a game is in progress. The only thing that I may use is WinBoard, as a way to play the moves. The advantage being that you can vary the size of the board. I don't have any chess engine attached to it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Robert, just a minor point. Black's move, when indicated below the board by itself, should look like this (for example):
10... h5
Not the way it currently is, 10. h5
----------
I will also play white in this game.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 05:43 pm
@Reyn,

Cycloptichorn
Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 06:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
yitwail

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:44 pm
@Reyn,
reyn PM'd me about this. pretty cool, but too time-consuming for me to join at present. anyway, kudos to Robert. Very Happy
Rockhead

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:51 pm
@yitwail,
I'm watching as well, but like mr. yitwail, I doubt I have time just now.
Reyn

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:26 pm
@Rockhead,
I can feel all those eyes peering over our shoulders. Wink Laughing

For those interested, Wandel and I have just started a separate game.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 01:41 am
@Reyn,

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 09:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 09:57 am
@Reyn,