My Tomatoes vs The English Weather

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:45 am
GD, lilk - if u at all get to cook them dishes, do lemme know how they turned out - as I havent tried them before....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:08 am
a pint of tamarind paste?!?! Isn't that a bit much?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:10 am
Yes !! It is - lemme check !!! Or better still IGNORE it since it is optional !!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:11 am
Maybe a happy middle ground - 1/2 cup of tamarind paste?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:13 am
No, even that would be too much. Maximum should be one tea spoon as green tomatos are a bit sour inherently !
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:14 am
ok then!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:42 am
Well, I live in the former British Zone of Germany.
Thus, we have the same weather here. (With slightly higher and lower temperatures, more snow and traffic on the right.)

I remember in really bad summers (grandma always said, the bad weather was coming from the USA, btw!), grandma just riped the (green) tomatoes in the (big) drawer of the (biggeer) kitchen table.

This year, there are plenty homegrown tomatoes here, btw. (But none on my terrace.)

(I remember those fabulous "Tomjerries" - but York isn't anything like Jersey, is it?)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:20 am
The soddin' things are misbehaving something chronic. There's a big bunch of about 15 cherries on one of the plants (I've stripped off all leaves and just left stalks & fruit) and 2 have ripened and the rest haven't (but all the same size!). I'm confused. I think they're doing it on purpose, hoping I won't turn them into Bloody Mary's...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:21 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(I remember those fabulous "Tomjerries" - but York isn't anything like Jersey, is it?)

York is overcrowded with tourists & rich idiots (like Jersey), but the weather is definately Yorkshire!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 11:16 pm
littlek wrote:
Actually, I think new englanders and englanders alike should buy tomato plants early in the season, already at 6 or 8 inches tall. That way you have a head start. But, you may not known what kind of chemicals are on the plants you buy. You could also try grow-lights. I wonder if you can use those lights outside.

Gautam that recipe sounds delish!

Judging by the way my brother's other "plants" grow under the grow lights, tomatos should love them.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:04 am
I don't see why tomatoes wouldn't do very well under grow lights.

By the way GD, be careful when cutting branches off your tomatoes. If you cut too many at once, you'll shock the plant. I cut the "suckers" off gradually as the plant grows and only cut about 2 of them from each plant at a time.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:14 am
i am just about to give up. my tomatoes didn't ripen a bit in the past two weeks. am now cutting off new flowers, but will soon be forced to bring them in and hope they come to their senses on the windowsill. bad bad tomatoes.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 10:26 pm
Dagmaraka
They should ripen inside no problem. I have a room full of green ones right now that are ripening very well.
0 Replies

cariad

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
Those damned tomatoes again. Its my first attempt with 3 pla
Grand Duke wrote:
Thanks Wilso. Does it take long? I might leave them another week or so then bring them indoors onto a south-facing w
indow sill to catch the warmth.
. \its my first go as well. From 3 weedy plants I`ve so far gathered about 2lbs. but the welsh weather is being its usual wet self and I still have 30-40 pale green/yellow fruoits...should I just leave them or make green tomato chutney?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:39 am
1. don't expect too much from tomatoes you grow from seed from tomatoes. they're usually hybrids - and will not grow true to form. accept what you get - but expect nothing. if you're going to grow from seed - and want a specific type of tomato - buy the seeds. you will need to start your prep work about 2.5 - 3 mos in advance of when you want to put the 6 - 8 " plant in your garden.

2. if you want decent tomatoes off a patio plant - start removing the entire top of the plant after you've got two good sets of flowers. Don't take the leaves off - pinch off the whole top of the plant. Removing the leaves causes a whole group of other stressors on the plant, that are not advantageous to the development of a nice tomato.

3. lots of nice recipes for green tomatoes. just don't eat 'em raw.

4. you can take the whole section of vine, wrap it in newspaper, put a pile of them in a basket in a cool dry place - with good circulation. They'll ripen nicely, and gradually. However, it won't be so grand this way if the leaves are already gone in advance.

5. window-sill ripening can work - but it is its own skill. Timing/turning have to be handled carefully.

You can get nice tomatoes on vines here - in various stages of ripening. If you ripen them out at home, they can be marvellously sweet. Gotta take your time with them though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:40 am
Dag - where you are, you probably should have started preventing new flowering over a month ago. All the new flowering can also interfere with good ripening.
0 Replies