Are thrift stores getting more expensive?

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 06:15 pm
I shop at thrift stores a lot because I love them but I've noticed lately that things are getting more expensive.

For example: there is one thrift store near my house that I buy a lot of T-shirts from. Their Ts were $0.99 or $1.99. I buy these shirts for painting in or gardening in or mucking around in since I don't want to tear up "good" clothes.

Today the shirts were marked at $4.99!

I've noticed a lot more $25. to $45. items in thrift shops lately. And they aren't items that are noticably nicer than what the store has had in the past.

So are thrift stores getting more expensive?

Is it because more people are now shopping at thrift stores or what?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 19 • Views: 7,754 • Replies: 41
Topic Closed
No top replies

ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:05 pm
@boomerang,
I've shopped thrifts since the early seventies, with a gap in between then and the nineties. I find playing in thrift stores better - well, not always - than any high end stuff is doing re interest.

But, re whether my local good will has gone up, I've no idea, and will be interested.
Intrepid

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:36 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
So are thrift stores getting more expensive?

Is it because more people are now shopping at thrift stores or what?

I think the answer to both questions is yes. Thrift stores are frequented by a different shopper than days of yore. The average thrift shop shopper seems to be more affluent that they used to be and they are going into the stores in droves.

Value Village is a good example of a chain that used to be very low priced and now the prices are 2, 3, 4, and even five times what they used to be. A product of supply and demand.
boomerang

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:46 pm
It was a Value Village that marked the Ts up 400%!!

There are about six good thrift stores in my neighborhood that I hit on a regular basis and I've noticed the price creeping up in all of them. They still have some fairly good deals but the prices are getting harder to justify. Plus, stuff just flies out the door -- you can't do that "think about it" bit. In some stores, the shelves are practically empty.

It's really weird.
ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:42 pm
@boomerang,
I've no clue about something named 'value village', nor care if they multiply, or do I?

I would care if all my small favorite stores of decades get subsumed in some kind of, urrrggggghhhhh, village.

Frankly, in this economy, I don't think all the high and mighties can do dictation.
roger

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I was always a pretty lousy dictator, but I do see the town finally got a Goodwill. Have to check them out someday.

DrewDad

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:53 pm
You can get a brand-new men's colored T-shirt at Target for $4.00.
ossobuco

Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:54 pm
@roger,
I have some great stuff from thrifts, Roger, but so what. When I moved from LA to the north coast, it was like - what? visual crunch. Deprivation row.
But, not entirely.
Great coats to start with, once I started looking.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 06:46 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
You can get a brand-new men's colored T-shirt at Target for $4.00.

That's exactly it, DrewDad! It seems the prices are approaching regular retail.

They must be angling for people who usually shop at Nordstroms or someplace who don't know that there are stores who sell new merch. for the same price that they are selling used stuff for.

I'm usually looking for house stuff and have found that picture frames that used to be $2. are now $9. or $15. - I can get a new frame for that amount by hitting a sale at a frame shop.

Value Village is actually pretty cool, osso. They partner with local charities -- ours is affiliated with an group that advocates for kid's with serious learning disabilities.

I like things that are quirky so I'll continue to look for unusual items at the thrifts. It just seems the price creep is telling.
djjd62

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:01 am
@boomerang,
the canadian value villages are partnered with the juvenile diabetes foundation, and yes prices have increased in recent months
solipsister

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:18 am
@djjd62,
The charitable links are laudable, cheap production?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 07:36 am
The Salvation Army thrift store I frequent has recently had a face lift -- by a professional retail decorator! It doesn't seem as packed with stuff as it used to be -- they're getting really picky about what donations they'll accept. I find the prices are still reasonable though. e.g. I just bought my son a Hawaiian shirt (actually made in Hawaii) for $1.99 and it's like new. I like to buy jeans there for work -- I wear and wash them to death -- and I can usually get them for $3.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 08:28 am
Thrift store jeans are the best! I like my jeans already broken in. I do confess to often shopping in the boy/mens section where jeans are listed by waist and inseam so that I don't have to try them on. I hate trying clothes on. Anywhere.

I wish women's pants were listed by waist/inseam instead of sizes which seem arbitrary between brands.
DrewDad

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 08:43 am
@boomerang,
I've ranted about how they size women's clothing a number of times.
djjd62

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 08:54 am
@DrewDad,
Shocked

not sure i want to know
DrewDad

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:06 am
@djjd62,
<Saunters toward the door while whistling and staring at the ceiling.>
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:07 am
I've never shopped at thrift stores, but I donate quite a bit.
Due to the recession, people surely donate less items to thrifts while more customers are coming to buy there, so they probably want to stretch their income.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:08 am
The Boston Globe just had an article about how the tanking economy has been very good for thrift stores, ironically, becaujse huge numbers of people can't afford regular stores any more, but still need th ings like clothes--maybe increased demand is driving up prices.

In MA the Goodwill stores have stopped taking donations of and selling children's clothing and toys because of all the scandals with Chinese toxic chemicals and paint in the manufacture of some of them, since they can't be sure that the used things they sell aren't on the proscribed lists. Which hits parents with not a lot of money really hard.

If they have them in your area, you might want to check out A.J. Wright stores (who was A.J. Wright, and why did they name a store after him or her?) They;re the bargain end of the Marshall's/T.J. Maxx chain (which are off price themselves), and get some good,, cheap stuff, particularly on clearance, getting down sometimes to almost the thrift store level
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 10:20 am
@boomerang,
I think it is true - the supply and demand - less supply and more demand. I don't shop often at thrifts - because honestly I don't have the time to shift through lots of stuff. But one thing I noticed is that the regular store clothing prices have gone down quite a bit. So even though lately I've thought about going to thrift stores, I decided against it.

If I can get something new to close to the price of used, why would I get used? Right now I do get a bonus - my younger daughter doesn't require much clothing as she gets all her sister's hand-me-downs. The nice thing about it, is the younger loves it! However, sometimes the older girl gets upset particularly about her former most beloved outfits.
0 Replies

Foofie

Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:39 pm
I do think that the prices have been creeping up. I first saw that with the books they had. But now I am seeing that while some prices have not been increased, the garment is thought to be something that has a higher price.

I still like the thrift stores, since one can find something that was quite expensive when brand new, and in the thrift store is still a fraction of the original price. Better quality shopping regardless of the higher prices.

I also do not like to wear something that looks brand spanking new. I feel like I am a store mannequin when I put on something brand new, or at least like a bit of a dandy. I like the lived in look, and thrift stores give me that appearance immediately, with the help of the nice person that donated the item.
0 Replies