History of Bead-board

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 12:55 pm
The sanctuary of my church was build in 1846, Oconee County, SC (NW); the wall and ceiling boards were all 1x12 or 1x14; these boards were probably made on sight.
Then a pulpit and porch were added around 1860--the ceiling in both was bead-board; I am curious about when bead-board was introduced, specifically in the south; most likely, it had been used in the north for some time--but maybe not? Most of what I have found indicates that beadboard was Irish in origin. What is the real origin of bead-board and its use in early America?

Frank
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 5,719 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 01:57 pm
@Frank Strickland,
i KNOW OF SEVERAL OLD MANSIONS IN THE tIDEWATER AND IN sAVANNAH that all had bead board points. The most common that I recall were chair rail and wainscotting which all ahd bead along side the raised panels. I think that these were English trim variants and (if you recall trims in W/M and S Chippendale and highboys cabinets) they often had beaded edges or drawer fronts.
0 Replies

Woody Wilson

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 04:49 am
@Frank Strickland,
I own a pre Civil War house in Blythewood, SC. The porch ceiling is beadboard, made from narrower strips of pine with a quarter round edge on each side. When joined together, they give the appearance of beadboard.
Was this earlier beadboard leading to conventional beadboard? I don't know.
Woody Wilson
0 Replies

Davis Griffith-Cox

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:10 pm
@Frank Strickland,
Frank, As both an architectural restorationist and now CEO of an 1845 house museum I am very interested in knowing if you have had any definitive help as our own structure uses a lot of 1x6 tongue in groove beading.l We question whether it is original or added in an 1875 remodeling update.where we know some 1x4 beading was used in cabinet doors. The house has floor ceiling windows with Greek Key facings which are slightly tapered to give the illusion of added height...even an interior well in the basement dining room . Do let us hear from you Our email is [email protected] Davis Griffith-Cox
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 10:16 pm
@Davis Griffith-Cox,
listening.

I'm not an architectural historian, just interested.
0 Replies