Phases of the moon and earthly rainfall

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 04:17 pm
You'd think scientists would have figured out by this time why the phases of the moon show a significant statistical relationship to earthly rainfall, but they say they still can't explain it.

Can any of you?

BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 2
No top replies

neil

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 04:27 pm
I am not aware of such data. During which phase of the moon does rainfall increase by 1%. Has sufficient data been analyzed to produce high confidence for this conclusion? Neil
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:01 pm
I have tended to think that a minor increase in rainfall during the new moon was an effect of an increase of atmospheric density thus making the condensation of water vapor a bit more likley. However since I have lived all my life in the mountains the local effects, ie thunderstorms and the cooling of the prevalent winds have a lot more to do with it than moon phases.

This does have an effect on the tides which are more readily observed. Your Almanac has a table which shows the "spring" and "neap" tides which are either higher or lower than average consistently.
0 Replies