How did you know your pet was the 'One'

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 11:08 pm
People are always asking me this question about my husband and I began thinking about how I 'knew' the other loved ones in my life were the ones for me. This for me includes my animals. Most of the pets I have had the pleasure of of having found me of their own accord, but my doggie was one of those spotlight from heaven type moments.

My husband and I had gone to the local PetSmart to get some feeder mice for his snake, Lissi. When we walked in we were literally accosted with swarms of people and barking. It seem they were having one of their adoption days and local shelters had brought a bunch of dogs to hopefully find a home. Well we oohed and ahhed over some of the puppies, but neither of us were in the market for a dog. We did get roped into conversation with a lady who ran one of the shelters and she started talking up this one dog that was in a kennel by himself. He was a cute fellow and we started to sway (neither one of us can really deny an animal) but we noticed that any time another dog was walked past his kennel he would go bonkers, barking and lunging so hard he would actually scootch his kennel across the floor. I began to back out of the conversation with the now pushy woman and stood up...and that was when I saw him.

He was bright yellow, almost white and I could immediately see the labrador in him. He had that big square head and the perky/floppy ears. I had a lab growing up and was partial to them, but hubby was not really a fan. I grabbed my husbands arm and said 'hey look at him!", hoping that my enthusiasm would be enough to gloss over the labrador part (he is just part). Mr. Aldistar looked over and said 'Oh! He's part Akita!' (that would be his favorite dog that he grew up with) So off we went to inquire about the yellow dog. Someone else had just finished walking him around the store, but was apparantly not interested. We took the doggie for a long walk around the store and he was just perfect on the leash, no tugging, no darting off -he just calmly walked right by you the whole way.

Needless to say that by the time we made the circuit around the store we were both smitten and signed the papers and took him home that day. I still can't get over that we each got our favorite dog in the same little doggie. He has only continued to be the best doggie either of us has ever had.

Here he is...
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v261/232/20/1377893617/n1377893617_30042833_4443.jpg

So who else? What were you doing when you suddenly found yourself adding a new pet to the family?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 6
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 11:58 pm
@Aldistar,
Nice thread topic, Aldistar (apart from the bit about "feeder mice"! Wink )

Just about every (feline) animal I've ever lived with has been "the one" during the time I've had them around, really. Generally, they've urgently needed a home & I've always loved having a cat (or more, when possible) around, so ....Perfect match, each time! Very Happy Once I've gotten to know each individual cat (no 2 are quite the same!) I would definitely have chosen them for the qualities that have so endeared them to me!
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:31 am
For 14 wonderful years, I had a chocolate standard poodle who was my "son."
The first time I met him, he was with three other standard poodle puppies. They were let out of a kennel and raced around the yard where I was sitting at a picnic table. He circled the table three times in big loops, then jumped squarely into my lap and licked my face. He was "the one."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:34 am
You can see Miss Cleo's picture here to the left. We brought her out for a walk on a trial basis, and haven't been able to get rid of her since.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:56 am
Pearly Mae was a terrier puppy of some sort, I believe. She had wirey hair that reminded me of a skunk and her lower teeth protruded. A woman and her children brought this dog to my home one day on a brief visit. I blocked one of the kids from torturing her and she gratefully jumped into my lap. It was instant bonding. The woman came through the room and said, "You can have that dog if you want it." I learned later that she had kicked the energetic little gal away, days earlier, and knocked out a tooth.

Pearlie Mae was intelligent and she also loved chewing on my fingers. When I dug in the garden, she dug in the garden. She rid it of moles. Her worst bad habit was hiding food beneath my pillow. That was in the early 1970s. I miss all of my gone dogs. Pearly Mae is second among my best favorites.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:03 am
@Aldistar,
I can see why you fell in love with him, Aldistar. He's got a great loving face!
--
We got our Max at a rescue center, and actually he found us, as I was there
to look at another dog first. I had found the center online and one of the dogs
advertised online was the one I was looking for. When we got there - bad neighborhood in L.A. - the dog in question had left the shelter already. Not
wanting to leave empty handed, we looked around for another dog, when I
noticed Max following me around. He seemed so gentle and I liked his subtle
approach to gain attention. He looked a bit sickly and had a "cherry eye"
but when he started sitting up and begging with his paws, he had us sold.
We took him home and he's been the most loving and intuitive dog ever since.
He's going on 14 years now - still looks like a pup though.

http://k.domaindlx.com/geli/grass.jpg

0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:49 pm
Aaaww, he is cute CJ! I can see how he got picked. Mags, that was much like how we got the black lab that I grew up with. My dads' best friend had a black lab that he had bred and she ended up with 14 puppies! Well, he told my parents to come over and pick one out, so off they went. When they got there my dads friend had just poured kibble in the food bowl and there were 14 tails wagging around it. My parents were watching, trying to decide, when one of the chubby pups wandered away from the food walked up to my dad and promptly sat right on his foot. He came home and was dubbed Bogey.

I never mentioned that my pup in the opening post is named Bodhi.
0 Replies