Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 12:39 am
I was breakfasting at a sidewalk cafe this morning when a car pulled up at a nearby give way sign with the music blaring so loud that conversations ceased at the cafe. Not an unusual occurrence, except - the track playing was 'Hotel California' by the Eagles.

Now I thought 'doof doof' was testosterone-laden boys' aural equivalent of territorial pissing. I would have thought that to impress other males, and annoy oldies, you had to play some form of gangsta rap or maybe some techno to show off your woofer.

I would have liked to approach the driver with this fact:

Hotel California was released 33 years ago. Could he imagine back in 1976 pausing in his car with one of this 1943 tracks blasting out:

How deep is the ocean - Coleman Hawkins
Honeysuckle rose - Fats Waller
Ain't misbehavin' - Fats Waller and his Rhythm
Mairzy doats - Merry Macs
American patrol - Glenn Miller and his Orchestra
Brazil - Xavier Cugat and his Orchestra
You are my sunshine - Bing Crosby
Der fuehrer's face - Spike Jones and his City Slickers
People will say we're in love - Bing Crosby and Trudy Irwin
Oh, what a beautiful mornin' - John Charles Thomas
Tico-tico - Ethel Smith and the Bando Carioca
?

Have the boomers finally taken over even doof doof music?

That said the driver didn't appear to be that old or young maybe 30ish.

Regardless of age there is plenty of 70s music more appropriate for doof doof than The Eagles isn't there? Some Black Sabbath maybe?

Did the world change while I wasn't looking? Have you heard odd examples of doof doof music? Do you have any thoughts on this seeming trend? Share and enlighten.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 5
No top replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 01:38 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Have the boomers finally taken over even doof doof music? Sad

Nah. I suspect it was a hard-of-hearing boomer.

Happens to the best of us! Laughing Sad

Too many loud concerts in our glorious youth!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 07:07 am
Perhaps he was making a cultural statement about blasting music, and you're the one who just doesn't get it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 01:10 pm
Some classical music needs to be loud, and I've been guilty of cranking it up myself in the car.

It's gotten some odd remarks from friends who were driving near me ("did you hear that bus riding next to us blasting that weird violin music?" "Yes, I actually did.") but I don't care, I can't enjoy some pieces of music without turning up the volume.

Sometimes I even turn the volume down at the beginning of a song when I know there's a particular part that I'll want to crank up. Hard to explain, but it's more climatic if the volume is part of the crescendo.

I also don't feel I'm going fast unless I am accelerating (e.g. at a steady 120/hr it doesn't feel as fast as going from 60-80) so maybe I'm just weird about this.
hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 04:07 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Perhaps he was making a cultural statement about blasting music, and you're the one who just doesn't get it.

I'd considered this - but guys with full arm tattoos aren't known for the surreal cultural statements, but I am generalising.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 04:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You are weird Robert - but I share you acceleration vs velocity thing. Good to see some classical music going the doof doof route. I'm all for more diverse forms of music in the doofosphere.
0 Replies