A Vegetarian for Lent

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:19 am
@Swimpy,
I was a serious vegetarian for 15 years and ate plenty of meat sub. Shrug.

I did it in part to be able to eat with my family without creating any more agita than necessary and in part because I was a teen and then a young adult with few cooking skills. Again, shrug.

But, be that as it may, one permanent thing you can get out of this experience is an improved ability to cook. There are plenty of perfectly vegan things to cook that are not super expensive, nor are they labeled as vegan and they are not hard to make. What? Well, let's see.

Whole wheat pasta
Mixed vegs, any kind (try roasting them in the oven with a little olive oil)
Beans
Oatmeal
Rice
soup (if without meat)

Really, it's not hard but it can take some time which you may or may not have, and cooking patience, which you also may or may not have. E. g. Beans require some serious planning but have an excellent payoff. Rice can be cooked in huge batches and frozen in individual bags. Just heat and serve but you need to do some work for the speed payoff later. Soup is really just vegs, some sort of starch (potatoes, corn, rice or beans) plus spices, try to watch the salt and cook for a few hours, then freeze in batches. You can also make tacos or tortillas; you'll need the shells (check for kosher, which won't have any beef or pork fat in them) plus cooked beans, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, onions, chilies or chili powder and another crunchy veg (carrots? daikon? celery?) and it's fabulous.

All of that can carry you through much of any given week.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:30 am
@sozobe,
Quote:

The one "substitute" I really like and buy because I like the taste is MorningStar Farms Tomato and Basil Pizza Burgers. (Vegetarian.) With a few slices of avocado and a nice toasted bun, really good.

YES x 1000

These are the best, truly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 08:33 am
@jespah,
Jinx! (On the home-cooking part.)

I still haven't found the article I'm thinking of back, this is related but not quite it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/dining/28salt.html

(The related part is that we get only about 11% of the salt we eat from home cooking -- the rest comes from obvious salty restaurant food like french fries, but also non-obvious pre-prepared food like muffins, because of the role of salt as a preservative and in imparting structure to bread, browning to baked goods, etc.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 09:25 am
MsOlga wrote:
You appear to be getting your information from the wrong sources, Thomas.

Swimpy wrote:
I agree with Olga. Meat substitutes are not the hallmark of veganism. You need to get more creative, Thomas.

Sozobe wrote:
As a general note, both for vegetarianism and weight loss -- how much do you cook, Thomas? Most of your comments are about restaurants and pre-prepared food.

jespah wrote:
Tne permanent thing you can get out of this experience is an improved ability to cook.

That's a very good point. I've been cooking from scratch less and less since I got my first real job, and haven't picked it up again on losing my employment. I probably should pick it up again when I return from my current trip in two weeks. (I'm currently at a conference in San Diego. Gotta run.)

Thanks for an enlightening insight, everyone!
0 Replies