I try to avoid multi-tasking...

Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:00 am
since I believe I make mistakes when multi-tasking, and enjoy less what I am doing. However, I would like to know others opinions of this mode of behavior. Is this a recent phenomenon, or did we not identify it as such in the past? I believe when women had a full day of cooking for the family, multi-tasking was just part of a woman's life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,200 • Replies: 20
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:05 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
I believe when women had a full day of cooking for the family....

How old are you again, Foofie? It seems you're stuck in the 50s. In today's
times, one cannot help but be multi-tasking - it's a cruel and competitive world
out there and one has to keep up.

I for one actually like multi-tasking!
Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:12 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Quote:
I believe when women had a full day of cooking for the family....

How old are you again, Foofie? It seems you're stuck in the 50s. In today's
times, one cannot help but be multi-tasking - it's a cruel and competitive world
out there and one has to keep up.

I for one actually like multi-tasking!

You do know that a Foofie never tells his age! Regardless, the 1950's had a lot more benefits than just not having to multi-task, to keep up with society's demands.

I personally think that multi-tasking is a "false friend," in that we do not realize that we are truly not enjoying each task to its maximum enjoyment. There is also the safety concern, since there are the sound bites about driving and talking on one's cell phone, for example.

If you enjoy multi-tasking, then you might be showing Darwin's theory in action, in my opinion (survival of the fittest).

If you did not experience the 1950's in the U.S.A. (Europe was still recovering from the "obsessions" of an older generation, in my opinion), then you might not truly appreciate that time of an inexpensive quality of life for those who were part of the mainstream society.

Thank you for your opinion. It did interest me, since as a sample size of one, it validates, in a small way, my belief that many younger people are quite adapted to the "frenzy" of today's society, even to the point of enjoying the frenzy, in this one way of multi-tasking.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:39 am
The only multi-Tasking that "sulley" was doing when he plopped that Airbus into the River was flying the plane and browning his shorts
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:54 am
What are you considering "younger" people, foof?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:19 pm
@chai2,
I'm an elderly multi-tasker. For ordinary pursuits, it's a more amusing approach to said tasks. For tasks that aren't tasks - designing, writing a composition, reading a book of interest - there I'll revel in single-tasking.

For decades I've not cleaned the house room by room, as I tend to rearrange for fun with the cleaning being a by-product, and I end up working the whole house, either partially or completely. On the other hand, I don't give a damn about a little dust, so this is only an occasional pursuit. And when I play arrange the house and clean, I multiply the multitasking by listening to music, often with occasional dance episodes, which I'll call exercise. Good thing my house has no secret cameras.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:25 pm
I enjoy multi-tasking. For example, while I'm typing this reply I'm also chewing gum, drinking a diet coke, and doing kegel exercises.
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I enjoy multi-tasking. For example, while I'm typing this reply I'm also chewing gum, drinking a diet coke, and doing kegel exercises.

That reminds me of a funny story

A woman who was a true dumb blonde used to work in my office. One day my boss and I were joking around about kegeling, and having a good laugh.

Blondie walked by and started laughing too, even though she hadn't heard anything we'd said.

"Ditzy" I asked, "Do you kegel?"

Dead serious she replied "Yeah, but I don't get HBO."
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:33 pm
Do you truly do only one thing at a time, Foofie? Do you decide to do laundry, then wait until it's done before you make yourself something to eat? Why wouldn't you vacuum while doing the laundry? Or go out and sweep the deck? Or pay your bills online?

It's a matter of efficiency - making the most use of one's time. It's simply smart, otherwise, your tasks will take forever to do and by the time you get them done, you'll just have to start over.

I don't think it has anything to do with evolution. Cave women were likely hunting and gathering, keeping a lookout for dangers, babysitting, and grunting at each other all the same time.
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 06:24 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Do you truly do only one thing at a time, Foofie? Do you decide to do laundry, then wait until it's done before you make yourself something to eat? Why wouldn't you vacuum while doing the laundry? Or go out and sweep the deck? Or pay your bills online?

It's a matter of efficiency - making the most use of one's time. It's simply smart, otherwise, your tasks will take forever to do and by the time you get them done, you'll just have to start over.

I don't think it has anything to do with evolution. Cave women were likely hunting and gathering, keeping a lookout for dangers, babysitting, and grunting at each other all the same time.

I had a girlfriend years ago like this.
She'd do stuff like cut up all the raw meat for something, then clean the cutting board so she could chop the raw vegetables. Then, she'd heat up a pan to cook the meat, and then cook it, only then would she put a pot of water on the stove to bring to a boil, so she could cook the pasta.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:11 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

O.K., O.K. I recently had breakfast, while eggs were boiling to make them hard. But, since man likely ate hard boiled eggs shortly after discovering "fire," that one type of multi-tasking might be hard-wired into my brain?

I believe the true definition of multi-tasking might require two activities to be needing one's attention at the same time. That could relate to the driving while speaking on a cellphone, or conversing while doing something that requires one attention.

There might have always been multi-tasking, but not calling it that. For example, when a lady was hanging up clothes to dry, and a neighbor decided to converse with said lady hanging up clothes, the clothes hanging and conversation became multi-tasking. And, since many extroverts may not subscribe to the word, "intrusive," much multi-tasking is likely forced on introverts?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:47 pm
Quote:
For example, when a lady was hanging up clothes to dry, and a neighbor decided to converse with said lady hanging up clothes, the clothes hanging and conversation became multi-tasking.

Okay it's official now: Foofie was born before the washer/dryer was invented!
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'd love to talk Jane, but I'm waiting for my bread to rise.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:00 pm
@chai2,
It's easy for you to say, Chai, I just came up from the river where I washed
an entire load of laundry.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:01 pm
@chai2,
I'm finding it hard to read and respond since I'm also drinking a cup of coffee. ****, this is hard.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:06 pm
Ladies, let's all sit quietly together, and shuck peas.

now let's all concentrate.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:10 pm
um?

mame honey?

how's that skin condition doing?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2731915426_c4b4e8bb31.jpg?v=0
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:22 pm
This.is.so.damn.hard. Does this make me an introvert since you're interrupting my concentration?
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 04:47 pm
@Mame,
hold on, I have to stop typing for a minute.

I'm trying to build up a good fart.

I better close my eyes too.
Mame

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@chai2,
Glad you're miles away from me! Go at 'er!