Computer hacking questions

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 11:29 pm
My lovely daughter has accused me of getting into her myspace and emails. I am floored that she would accuse me of such a thing. I am barely computer literate (as those of you know who know me - I don't even know how to post a picture). Plus, I would not stoop to such low measures. I'm sick most of the time (chemo) and not that interested in what daughter is doing in her private life aside from what she tells me. She is 33 years old and my only child. This accusation has hurt me beyond words. But I want to be able to prove that I was not involved. How can I do that? Is there a way to see who DID get into her stuff? Her boyfriend is a computer nerd so I suspect him but of course she would never think he'd do such a thing. I will not speak to her until she fully apologizes to me. I guess that's drastic but so is her accusation. I do not lie and am a painfully truthful person - have been all my life. Anyway I didn't want to air my dirty laundry but I am hoping that there is some way that I can clear myself from this unwarranted accusation. I don't need more stress in my life at the moment. Any computer techies out there that can shed some light on what I should do? I appreciate any advice. Thanks,
Bathy
Dianne
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,437 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:13 am
@bathsheba,
There really aren't easy ways to prove this particular negative.

For example, you could show her your browsing history, and how said acts aren't found there, but you could have also deleted particular items if you wanted to as well.

Without getting logs from the sites themselves, it's not going to be easy for you to disprove such a thing.
roger

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:16 am
@bathsheba,
This is a really sad turn of events, bathy. Sorry to hear about it.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:58 am
@bathsheba,
A sad situation. However, I would think that she should prove that you did such a thing rather than you having to defend what you know you didn't do. Why does she think anyone was into her e-mails? Also, she could easily password her system so nobody could get into it. Who has she given her logon info to?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 11:08 am
"Sweety, if I hacked your E-mail, you'd never know it...."
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We live a thousand miles apart...I'd love to show her my computer and let her look at whatever she wants to.

I figured this wouldn't be easy. But thanks, Robert, for your reply.

Bathy
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:50 pm
@roger,
It is sad. I don't know what her problem is......but what a thing to accuse someone of, eh? I'm glad she thinks her personal life is so interesting that anyone, esp. me, would take the time to try & figure out her passwords.
Weird situation....thankfully she wasn't twins.....
Bathy
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:54 pm
@bathsheba,
This doesn't seem like a computer problem at all.

It seems to me that your daughter is acting irrationally which means that no matter what "evidence" or reason you offer, she is going to accuse you.

My advise is that you simply refuse to play her game. Assure you that you aren't spying on her... and that you have no interest in doing so. If she doesn't accept this, then it is her problem.

It seems to me you have far more important things in your life.

0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:56 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid, you said exactly what my hubby said...and what Judge Judy would say! I'd love for her to get a hold of this one. I think she should prove every allegation rather than me prove something I can't because I didn't do anything. I don't know why she thinks someone was in her emails.....the conversation got a bit heated after her initial accusation so I didn't ask, but I will, good point. Her boyfriend could have helped her 'password' her system, as you call it, since he even builds computers. Don't know who she's given her logon info to. We never talked about such things over the phone....she's a thousand miles from where I live so she can't just pop over (or me pop down). Ah well, we'll let Judge Judy solve this one. I don't have the energy.
Bathy
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:58 pm
@bathsheba,
bathsheba wrote:

Intrepid, you said exactly what my hubby said...and what Judge Judy would say! I'd love for her to get a hold of this one. I think she should prove every allegation rather than me prove something I can't because I didn't do anything. I don't know why she thinks someone was in her emails.....the conversation got a bit heated after her initial accusation so I didn't ask, but I will, good point. Her boyfriend could have helped her 'password' her system, as you call it, since he even builds computers. Don't know who she's given her logon info to. We never talked about such things over the phone....she's a thousand miles from where I live so she can't just pop over (or me pop down). Ah well, we'll let Judge Judy solve this one. I don't have the energy.
Bathy

Did she have specific reasons behind her accusations, or was it a general thing?

Cycloptichorn
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:59 pm
@DrewDad,
Oh, so there is a way to do that without being detected? My first suspect is her boyfriend (they live together) and he's dumb enough to do this not figuring he'd get caught. And then blame me. Isn't there a log in the computer somewhere that shows who's been logged onto your computer? Not history, but an actual log?
Bathy
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 01:04 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
She had no reason, she just jumped on me and said I was into her yahoo emails and her myspace! She said it was very coincidental that they were both hacked into at the same time. I didn't think to ask how she knew, or why she thought it was me. I was/am too mad. So, no specific reason, just that she thinks I"m too nosey.....because I ask her about how she's doing with her life. As I mentioned we live a thousand miles apart, talk via phone maybe twice a month...and I'm too nosey? She supplies info that I don't even want to know about, then gets mad for telling me. I think she has a paranoia problem, but this really hurts me. A liar, I am not.
Bathy
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 01:25 pm
@bathsheba,
It all depends on the E-mail system. Chances are, there's no way for a normal user to access the logs. Certainly not for MySpace.

(You really need to make fun of her for using MySpace in the first place. All the cool kids are on Facebook, now.)

You live a thousand miles away? How are you supposed to have "hacked" her E-mail, anyway, unless she used a tremendously easy-to-guess password in the first place?
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 02:07 pm
@DrewDad,
I have no idea. I don't know what password she was using but it must have been simple.

But. Don't computers have a log built in so you can see who was trying to get into your system? I thought so, but then I don't know what I'm talking about. How do they ever find hackers?
Bathy
DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 02:25 pm
@bathsheba,
bathsheba wrote:
Don't computers have a log built in so you can see who was trying to get into your system?

Yes and no.

Computers have built-in logs for lots of stuff. But the logs belong to the company providing the service, and they're unlikely to give out that information to just anybody.

bathsheba wrote:
How do they ever find hackers?

It ain't easy.
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:21 pm
@DrewDad,
Ah well. I figured it wouldn't be easy. Thanks for your help, anyway!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:37 pm
@bathsheba,
bathsheba wrote:

She had no reason, she just jumped on me and said I was into her yahoo emails and her myspace! She said it was very coincidental that they were both hacked into at the same time. I didn't think to ask how she knew, or why she thought it was me. I was/am too mad. So, no specific reason, just that she thinks I"m too nosey.....because I ask her about how she's doing with her life. As I mentioned we live a thousand miles apart, talk via phone maybe twice a month...and I'm too nosey? She supplies info that I don't even want to know about, then gets mad for telling me. I think she has a paranoia problem, but this really hurts me. A liar, I am not.
Bathy

How does she know she was hacked?

I am sorry to hear this, I assure you that it is completely specious in nature, and nobody with an ounce of computer knowledge would accuse someone who knew very little about computers of doing such a thing, which is not easy.

Cycloptichorn
bathsheba

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't know how she knows she was hacked. Or even if she knows what hacking means. As spacey as she is, I can see her leaving a computer at school with her sign in information for all to see.

I'm waiting for an apology from her.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:06 pm
@bathsheba,
I hope you do get that apology, bathseba, because she owes you one.
Don't waste one second more of your precious time trying to figure out ways of proving that you're not her hacker. Her accusation is ridiculous & also offensive to you.
um ... is she OK? Confused
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:18 pm
I'm not sure this is helpful or relevant...but here goes:

Perhaps you hadn't heard the news today. Many Facebook accounts have been hacked by hackers . Many thousands have had their identities taken or been tampered with. Perhaps her situation is related?