FootJoy Closing MA Plant

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:59 am
Golf shoe manufacturer FootJoy is shutting down its Brockton plant, putting more than 100 people out of work.

Kelley says a drop in demand for the 150-year-old company's hand-crafted golf shoes and other products during the gloomy economy is to blame.

The company dates to 1857, when the Burt and Packard Shoe Co. was one of dozens of footwear manufacturers that earned Brockton the moniker "The Shoe City."

This makes me especially sad - I worked there a couple of summers while in college. There were some great people that work there. The golf shoes were awesome - many were hand painted. I remember interviewing one of the VPs for a college research paper once - he was so thoughtful taking time out of his busy day to help a college kid.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,131 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:04 pm
@Linkat,
Golf is a stupid pasttime and the sooner we do away with it entirely the better it will be in our quest for a unified planet.
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:06 pm
@farmerman,
Well they have also manufactured men's dress shoes, raquetball shoes and tennis shoes. They are best known for their golf shoes.

Should we do away also with tennis and raquetball? How about shoes for men?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well they have also manufactured men's dress shoes, raquetball shoes and tennis shoes. They are best known for their golf shoes.

I sympathize with ya, that sucks that the ol' business closed man.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:18 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I believe I limited my entire comment about golf , and by extension, anything that relates to GOLF. We all know that shoes are a good thing and that tennis is NOT a stupid sport. Golf, however, is retarded, its the most ridiculous past time ever conceived. Its a morons delight. A chimp can be taught to play and enjoy golf, so it doesnt need any higher brain functions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:20 pm
My (admittedly limited) experience is that people who play golf don't do it for the enjoyment, which is a good thing because it lets them avoid constant disappointment.
NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:29 pm
I play golf for the enjoyment and camaraderie. I have an old pair of Foot Joy shoes that I still wear on the links. It's a great way to socialize, get some fresh air and even some exercise (I carry my own clubs). Though I prefer tennis for exercise alone.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:00 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah. Frustration builds character, too.
NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:31 pm
@roger,
I guess you've had some bad golfing experiences Roger. Golf does not frustrate me though I rarely break 100. It's a fun time with friends. Nothing more.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
My (admittedly limited) experience is that people who play golf don't do it for the enjoyment

I guess you haven't paid attention to brendalee and me when we talk about what we like about golfing.

Golf can be great fun, and a good golf shoe is a marvellous thing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 12:36 am
@ehBeth,
I played pitch and putt with my cousin and dad and uncle at Rancho Park back in the day. Was part of Arnie's Army. Followed golf and a bunch of other sports in the LATimes. That was that, I never pursued it, more of a sit in chair and read type, but I remember it as fun, probably because of my dad and uncle: they enjoyed it, lots of joke cracking going on as we walked. Plus afterwards, there was the cafe with the amazing lemon meringue pie.

Sorry about the plant closure, for sure.

I've more complicated thoughts about golf and ecology, but will let that go for now.
0 Replies