Good Grief, Is This Doctor Nuts? Or Am I Just Stupid?

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:34 am
@Bella Dea,
Not exactly, i'm saying it is probably better. I don't get sore throats, so i can't say from experience. I just happen to think that naproxen (Aleve) is the best over the counter anti-inflammatory. Your mileage may vary. Call the Doc back, mention all of this to her, get her best advice, then call her a **** and hang up really quickly.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:35 am
Also, I have gotten cough medicine with codiene in it before - it was to help with the pain I had associated with the cough - I had been coughing so hard my ribs were bruised so the codiene was supposed to help with that.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:36 am
@Bella Dea,
I once threw myself in front of a door to keep a doctor from leaving the room when I was trying to get an answer about my husband's treatment. I think you should drop the office a note about how you feel the doctor didn't give you a chance to explain the full situation and are not confident in her recommendations. My other suggestion is go in prepared with a piece of paper that lists all your symptoms and any drugs you are taking. I do this for my mother-in-law who "doesn't like to bother people with her details", but it also takes the burden of memory off the situation.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:43 am
psssst....

has anyone noticed Bella is acting really weird?

like she's on the goof ball or something.

oh man, naproxin, aleve, that stuff will rip your gut up and cause bleeding.

leave it alone.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I once threw myself in front of a door to keep a doctor from leaving the room when I was trying to get an answer about my husband's treatment.

Good God woman, were we separated at birth?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

psssst....

has anyone noticed Bella is acting really weird?

like she's on the goof ball or something.

oh man, naproxin, aleve, that stuff will rip your gut up and cause bleeding.

leave it alone.

I always have to eat food if I take either that or Ibuprofen.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:48 am
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
And she isn't my regular doctor. He was on vacation.

Yeah, that sucks. You never get the same level of service.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
And a big glass of water.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:59 am
@chai2,
We do seem to live in parallel worlds at times.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:12 pm
@Bella Dea,
When I've had a sore throut with colds, I remember it as always being at the start of the cold, would go away after a day. I don't know how typical that is for others. Only time I've had a really really really sore throat, it was strep.
So what, I don't know, but if the sore throat is still raging, I'd call the doctor or nurse-call system.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 02:59 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
2- What the hell was the doctor thinking not mentioning this to me? " Oh by the way, you might not want to take lots of Motrin with this stuff?" Is it just me or does this seem not real great for my kidneys?

a matter of curiosity here - does the pharmacist: ask you about other meds before s/he hands it over? provide a sheet of instructions/contraindications etc? check if you've taken a particular med before?

it's standard practice here - seems odd to ask the doc about a lot of this stuff, since the pharmacists know it better and DO handle the med discussion here (even if the good doc has already done so)
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:13 pm
@ehBeth,
I just picked up some presciptions the other day - new to me. The pharmacist just handed them to me - all she did was verify my name.

The dentist did inform me what precautions I needed to take and what would and would not be good with the medication. The pharmacist didn't say a word - although the information was printed on the label.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:17 pm
@Linkat,
Most new (to the patient) meds come with three or more sheets of information. A lot to review when you're not feeling brilliant - so most will take the time to read the sheets over with you and make sure you understand.

One pharmacist had me practice using an inhaler for about 15 minutes before he let me leave with it.
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:20 pm
@ehBeth,
No - no sheets, just whatever fit on the label.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, if you go to the same drug store (even if a chain), they have you and your previous meds on file, so they're already alerted to what you might be taking. I think the service I've received, and I'm not a regular medication user, has been excellent in that regard. My doc has never done this with me, mainly because I don't take many drugs.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 03:35 pm
@Bella Dea,
b.d. :

i have set up a file with a list of ALL meds we take (precription and non-prescription ) . whevever our meds change , i update the file and print out several copies :
one goes to our doctor on our next visit , several others are "kept at the ready" .
when mrs. h had to go for pre-op prior to hip-replacement , we just took along a couple of copies - it all went smoothly and without wondering if we had forgotten to mention a certain med .
it sure is a lot easier than to gather up half-a-dozen pill bottles or "trying to remember" - particular when past one's "prime" .
hbg

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:13 pm
I've lost track, Bella, are you taking antibiotics or were you handed a possible prescription for some? Strep used to be a bacterium to watch - which is why I mentioned a doctor or nurse call. (The time I had it, if I have my story straight as I might have had it twice though I think not, was the time I got scarlet fever. You can have a strep infection sans scarlet or rheumatic fever or endocarditis complication, but I'd want to attend to it if it was strep.

But this is old info on my part.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, I just reread more carefully and see Bella's comment on getting the antibiotic prescription filled. Ok, then.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 07:25 pm
Bella, I'm not a doctor but...

If you're still with us and haven't taken to bed yet, you probably will soon. The doctor probably gave you the antibiotic "just in case" because you won't need it until it moves into your chest. It's probably a virus, not a bacterium. It is one of the strands of flu that has hit the southeast really hard. The final stage is that it moves into your chest. Total run time 1-5 weeks depending on your immune system.

Did it start as a tickle in the throat and becomes the worst sore throat ever after a few days? Is it in the voice box / front area, not the glands? If so, you'll likely will run a temp, have no energy for a few days, get achey all over and possibly lose your voice. (I did for three days, plus a few more days slowly getting it back.)

People here have not been given antibiotics until it moved to the chest causing lots of gunk to be coughed up. If that's the case, and the resoning, the doctor should have explained that to you. Had probably already done so with fifty patients that day if it is as widespread there as it is here.

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 07:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, you get a sheet with all the stuff on it. I am not worried about taking the ibuprofen with the tussionex but it seems like the doc would have mentioned that it contained a pain reliever.
0 Replies