Propagating Yucca

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:14 am
I have a couple of yucca plants in my yard that have lots of "baby yuccas" growing off of the trunks. The information I've found online about making cuttings and growing the offshoots hasn't seemed to work, so far. I've cut the offshoots, dipped the ends in ash to stop the bleeding, and then planted them in sandy soil with very little water for the first few days. I also tried just drying the cutting for a couple of days before planting it.

Is there something else I should be doing to get them to root and grow? Is it too late in the season to try any more?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,228 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:32 pm
What part of the sout west are you in LibertyD and what type of yucca are you trying to propogate?
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:25 am
I'm in Oklahoma, and I'm not sure which species it is. The one that looks most like it is yucca gloriosa...but not sure. Here is a pic:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADoAp8V4RjvfDOBYTi*dIjCfBOq51b0u8QH4AEnWU3m7Bnl9S!78daaV8Ghzcats4Os1rWbYJLz*r7l7bMGq33OMPLS6r3TmD3YUsRb53IAAAAAFib7dw/yucca.JPG?dc=4675440921626939936
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:40 am
Try this web site LD Quail Gardens had just about every type of plant that grows in the south west and I am sure if you e-mail them with your picture they will help you out.

Quail Botannical Gardens

Every month I come to OKC for a antique market/flea market at the state fair grounds. Are you close enough to drop by next month maybe we can get BillW and his wife to come up to and have dinner or something.

Your garden patio looks great. Have y'all been haveing the great weather we have down here in Big D. I call this San Diego weather?
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:59 am
Thanks for the link, Joanne -- I'll check it out.

I'm in Tulsa, only a couple of hours drive to OKC, so that would be fun to meet you guys there! The antique shopping sounds good too. As long as it's on a weekend, I can probably do it. Just let me know the date you'll be up here.

The weather is wonderful here...I'm almost afraid to comment on it, lest it start getting hot again! I'll bet you guys in Dallas are particularly thrilled...it always seems so much hotter down there than it is up here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:15 am
My experience with yucca is that they are quite capable of propagating themselves.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:25 pm
Rolling Eyes Yeah, but not in the area of the yard where I *want* them to propagate.
0 Replies