State sending $1 checks to Washington's needy

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 07:55 pm
Ok, seriously, "what the ****"....I hope Obama calls out the person responsible in Washington state for this waste of taxpayer money.

And isn't it kind of cheating the system?

Quote:
OLYMPIA, Wash. " The state is sending out hundreds of thousands of $1 checks to the state’s neediest residents. It’s a plan that’s supposed to bring millions of dollars worth of food stamps to the state by March.

When you add printing and postage, it seems like a waste, but the state says the economy has them pulling out all the stops to find money wherever they can.

$1 isn’t the kind of help Wendy Nelson expected when she signed up for welfare last month. Nelson is one of 250,000 Washington residents on food stamps.

"It's just a huge waste of taxpayer money,” said Nelson.

But Leo Ribas, head of community services at the Department of Social and Health Services, says there’s a method to the state’s madness.

"We're trying to do this at a time when people need assistance the most,” said Ribas.

He says if the state’s food stamp recipients receive just $1 for energy bill assistance, that qualifies them for extra federal assistance. That means someone like Nelson could receive about $30 more per month in food stamps.

Sending out $1 checks cost the state $250,000. DSHS says that could bring the state and additional $43 million in federal funding.

Call it red tape or a hoop to jump through. Either way, the state says it makes sense.

"I think it's an issue of maximizing the federal regulations to the advantage of Washington residents,” said Ribas.

Nelson says it just sounds like more bureaucracy.

"If there was that much money already there, why not just help distribute that among the recipients rather than doing it this way?” asks Nelson.

Since Nelson doesn’t have a checking account, cashing that $1 check would cost her $5 in fees. The state says, luckily, recipients don’t have to cash or deposit the checks to receive the additional benefits.

I'd heard Obama speak on my way home from work about his plan to reduce the deficit. I liked what he had to say. I hope that he's serious about it, especially the pay as you go plan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 645 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 08:59 pm
@maporsche,
What is "pay as you go" supposed to mean? I thought the grand scheme was to borrow all the government could, and toss it willy-nilly into the economy.
BigTexN

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:39 am
@maporsche,
$1 checks to Washington's needy...the 21st century's version of "Let them eat cake!"

Beheadings to follow...
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 03:00 pm
@roger,
I guess that's the grand scheme for now...hopefully he'll follow through on this.

For example, I support some form of nationalized health care, but ONLY and I do mean ONLY if we institute something to pay for it (even if it means higher taxes, I just don't want to see us borrowing this money).
0 Replies