free crdidt report anywhere?

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
What a bunch of BS. these companies say they will give a FREE credit report - but note that you have to sign up for a monthly fee to get it.

anyone know where to get a totally FREE - no strings attached - crredit report??

http://www.consumercompare.org/credit_report_services/compare.php?kw=free+annual+credit+report&engine=overture!6667&OVRAW=Annual%20Credit%20Report&OVKEY=free%20annual%20credit%20report&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=34431680512&OVKWID=244422053512
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,611 • Replies: 8

roger

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:42 pm
@sullyfish6,
I don't think so. They are going to make lots of pitches when you contact them, but you can get one free report per year. Contact them, though. I wouldn't fork over my SSN to just anyone who posts an ad on the internet.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:45 pm
@sullyfish6,
As Roger said, you can get a free credit report once per year from the big three credit reporting agencies. Decline the offers to sign up for continuing credit watch services, and just take the free, no strings annual report.
kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:59 pm
@Ticomaya,
This is the official site where you can get a free yearly credit report.

annualcreditreport.com
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:15 pm
@kickycan,
I think you still have to pay extra to see your score, and extra to get all three reports...but you can get one for free with no score.
roger

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:16 pm
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Yes. The freebie reports in terms of so-so, good, better, etc.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:23 am
@roger,
p.s. I think it's Experian that dropped the Fair Issac score, so if you use that agency, there is less reason to pay.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:46 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I think you still have to pay extra to see your score, and extra to get all three reports...but you can get one for free with no score.

You get all three reports (e.g. a listing of your accounts and the raw information on your credit that they use to calculate the score) free once per year, but some of them withhold their calculated score and try to upsell you on additional reporting/monitoring.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:44 pm
Here is a very good idea: You get (according to Federal Law) one free credit report per year from EACH of the three reporting agencies.

Now, ideally, all three agencies should have approximately the same info on you. The reason for getting the reports is to check for irregularities and possible ID theft.

Most people don't really need their credit score. If you're applying for credit, the company you're applying to will get your score. What you need are just the basics anyway.

So, get one free report every four months. This keeps you generally covered year-round and if you see any red flags, you can take action from there.

Also, don't forget that if you've been turned down for credit at any time, the company turning you down has to state *why* upon your request. Being turned down also earns you a free look at your credit report.

Tom
0 Replies