Lulu To The Rescue; loyal Ausie pet kangaroo

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 05:03 pm
Lulu To The Rescue

MELBOURNE, Australia - An unlikely hero hopped onto the scene when a farmer suffered serious head injuries after being hit by a falling branch.

The hero? A partially blind pet kangaroo.

The eastern gray kangaroo, Lulu, stood guard over Len Richards' unconscious body Sunday and "barked like a dog" to get help, the farmer's daughter said.

"She was obviously trying to get our attention because she never acts like that," said Celeste Richards, 17.

"It went on for about 15 minutes, so we went outside to investigate and we saw Lulu standing upright with her chest puffed out over Dad's body. If it wasn't for her, my Dad could have died - Lulu is my hero," she added.

Richards, 52, was checking his property in Morwell, southeast Australia, for damage following a severe storm when he was struck by a falling branch and knocked unconscious.

The kangaroo, which has just one eye, was adopted by the family about 10 years ago when they found her in the pouch of her mother, who had been killed by a car.

"Lulu and Dad are very close and she follows him around, but we all just love her so much," Celeste said.

Animal rights group the RSPCA urged the family to nominate Lulu for its National Bravery Award.

"From my point of view it's a darn good story and I would hope that Lulu is nominated," said RSPCA president Dr. Hugh Wirth. Click Here to watch the video.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,718 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 06:21 am
Good story that. Kangaroos make a sound similar to a dog's bark as part of one of their rituals. I can't remember which one but it's something territorial.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:45 am
Goddess! Not mating, I hope! Poor, unconscious, fella! Those marsupials - they are sexually voracious you know .... just animals...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:57 am
You should see a female roo trying to get away from a male it doesn't want to mate with. It's hilarious.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 06:18 am
And they say that a dog is man's best friend. Three cheers for Lulu! Very Happy
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 06:32 am
Three cheers for Lulu !!!

Wilso wrote:
You should see a female roo trying to get away from a male it doesn't want to mate with. It's hilarious.

You mean that the "I have a headache" excuse doesnt work ? Shocked
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 06:38 am
Nope.
0 Replies