Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:22 pm
@Mame,
I don't have cable, so I have to rely on network TV to numb my brain. I liked the Biggest Loser before they started inserting all the product placement ads. It seems like the trainers are always pushing some brand name cereal or chewing gum like it's a magic treatment for obesity. I do like the before and after information, and I love it when someone is physically transformed from baby elephant to a size 6 swan. I doubt many of them manage to keep off all the weight in the real world over the long term. I think they need more follow-up shows to measure success.

The only cooking shows I get are on PBS or I'll watch Gordon Ramsey shame some restaurant owner into scrubbing his kitchen. I don't think of the real cooking shows as low brow, but rather as educational.
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:28 pm
@Green Witch,
True, the real ones aren't lowbrow but Hell's Kitchen is Smile although I do like Gordon Ramsay - man, though, he swears so much!

I like Restaurant Makeover and most of the design shows, too. But they aren't low-brow, as you said.

Lowbrow - I like the ones where the people are in debt try to get out. I've tried watching the Trading Spouses/Wife Swap ones but don't like them. Also don't like the Jerry What'shisname kind of shows. AWWWWWFULLLL!

Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:37 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I've tried watching the Trading Spouses/Wife Swap ones but don't like them. Also don't like the Jerry What'shisname kind of shows. AWWWWWFULLLL!

Shows like these depress me. They are like a carnival freak show. I like a little trash, but not the bottom of the outhouse.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:39 pm
oh, as far as TV, I love watching medical shows about the woman who had a 600 pound tumor removed, or the man with a pony growing out of his left ear.

That stuff rocks.
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:57 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, loved that pony in the ear one. Did you see the one with the guy who had an ass growing out of his nose? Wow.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 06:03 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yeah, loved that pony in the ear one. Did you see the one with the guy who had an ass growing out of his nose? Wow.

Oh yeah, I taped that one.

That reminds me of this commediene who was talking about how his gf was so squimish about a cockroach or mouse. "AAAA! You have to kill it! I can't! Ewwwww!!" But would watch those true crime shoes about serial killers who woul mutilate his victims bodies.

"Hey Brenda, have you seen my...."

"SSHHHHH! I'm in the middle of my show! They're just about to catch this guy who been making jewelry with womens body parts. They just found a necklace made out of womens vaginas."

Yeah, that's entertainment.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 06:30 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
What's your guilt pleasure confession?

I don't feel guilty about it. I like to play an online massively-multiplayer online game (MMOG). I have fun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 08:25 pm
I am very, very fond of female vocalists, although the contemporary, breathy, lispy singers make me wanna puke . . . but otherwise, i am very, very fond of female vocalists . . .

. . . so i love to listen to ABBA.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 08:50 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

. . . so i love to listen to ABBA.

Momma Mia!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 07:49 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
With or without a glass?

With glass.
Without stem.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:07 pm
@chai2,
I love stuff like that too - I watched one about small people.

Another weird thing I like is those news programs like 20/20 and 60 minutes.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 02:31 pm
quiz shows
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:13 pm
I used to REALLY like the band The Darkness.
Now my guilty pleasures (I actually have very few) are strictly limited to hollyoaks and the bits of celeb gossip in the London Paper.
0 Replies