Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 02:49 pm
Some of the comments on Kicky's American Idol thread got me thinking about how we want people to judge us. Not on our singing ability, but on our tastes. Millions of people watch things like Idol, but only about 13 of them will admit it. I'm over it. I don't care if people know I watch reality TV. Heck, I've watched Fox's TMZ while CBS is droning on about the war in Afghanistan. I've muted NPR so I could finish a romance novel. I prefer to eat bacon instead of steel cut oatmeal. Granted - it's politically correct bacon from happy pigs, but it's lush fatty pork and I eat it with eggs on a white floury bagel. And I'm going to read People Magazine tomorrow instead of Business Week while I wait for my mechanic to change the oil in my car. I'm secure. So there.

What's your guilt pleasure confession?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,835 • Replies: 32
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:00 pm
hey, you're talking about me Crying or Very sad
Very Happy , i wasn't trying to be a snob, i just never got into any of the reality shows, but i did follow them through morning radio shows, the interesting thing being, even the morning guys i listen too aren't talking about the reality shows this season

as for guilty pleasures, really bad horror films, comic books, WWTDD and Drunkenstepfather (celeb trashing websites)

Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:08 pm
@djjd62,
It's not just you djjd, although you did inspire me to start the thread (take that as a compliment), but often people go on a common culture thread specifically to say they have no knowledge of it and wish to have no knowledge of it. Huh? Why look? If someone starts an Angelina Jolie thread I tend to skip over it. I don't go on and say "Who's Angelina Jolie?", but many people like to go on and say "Who's Angelina Jolie?" or "Why would you care about Angelina Jolie?'. I think it's our human way of marking intellectual territory. I also think we all have our weaknesses- whether it's Little Debbie Cakes or Anna Nicole Smith.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:10 pm
@Green Witch,
The Bachelor. Not sure why I like it, but what is worse - my husband watches it with me.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:12 pm
@Linkat,
I don't like the current guy, but I've watched a couple in the past. I couldn't get my husband to watch it if I put a sawed off shot gun to his head.
sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:21 pm
@Green Witch,
Right now it's Bravo reality series, because they replay endlessly during the day so I'm likely to catch up on what's going on.

"Top Chef" is somewhat highbrow, but all of the "Real Housewives" are trashytrashy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:31 pm
Ha! I know exactly what you mean about those people who sniff around threads just to disapprove -- even when you ask a fairly simple question. Sometimes it's funny and sometimes it just pisses me off. I started a thread once about that Miley Cyrus photo in Vanity Fair and couldn't believe the number of people who stopped in to say they didn't care.

A2K is really a record of much of low-browity, I enjoy all kids of stuff.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:53 pm
@boomerang,
I don't care, I mean it.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:59 pm
I don't know if I'd call this a pleasure, guilty or otherwise, but it's something a lot of people probably don't do to the extent I do....

When I get home, or get up on the weekend, I like to just put on a big extra large mens tshirt and my underwear. That's not unusual in itself, but I'll put it one backwards and inside out if that's how it got picked up. In fact, that's ow I like it best, inside out. I'll put one one that's got paint or old food stains on it and not think twice.

I'm not sure, but it seems a lot of people do change clothes when they get home, but put on something they could go somewhere wearing.

In fact, I'll use that as an excuse not to go out of the house sometimes. The idea of having to find something to wear, get undressed and redressed doesn't seem worth the effort. I hate getting dressed and I think it's enough that I manage to do it once a day during the week.

Oh! Here's a definite guilty pleasure....

I do not make my bed, hardly ever.

I think making the bed is stupid. I'll make it up nice when I change the sheets, and once in a while I'll pull up the sheets and blankets so they're in a semblance of order, but I won't go any farther than that.

You know how you always had to make your bed every morning as a kid? The second I was on my own I said I wasn't going to do that any more.

Sometimes Wally will make the bed, but he apparantly doesn't care either.
aidan

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:00 pm
@dyslexia,
Greenwitch said:
Quote:
I prefer to eat bacon instead of steel cut oatmeal

I don't even know what steel cut oatmeal IS - but I read on this forum all the time that people eat it. What is it? Oats that are cut with steel? Do they taste different? Are they any better for you? What makes them special?

I don't have an tv guilty pleasures - I don't watch tv.

All my guilty pleasure are food - I eat a pack of ready salted crisps and a toblerone and drink a diet coke every single day at about 11:30 instead of eating lunch.

Amy Winehouse is another of my guilty pleasures - she cracks me up and I love her music- but she sets such a bad example.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:08 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Greenwitch said:
Quote:
I prefer to eat bacon instead of steel cut oatmeal

I don't even know what steel cut oatmeal IS - but I read on this forum all the time that people eat it. What is it? Oats that are cut with steel? Do they taste different? Are they any better for you? What makes them special?

I don't have an tv guilty pleasures - I don't watch tv.

All my guilty pleasure are food - I eat a pack of ready salted crisps and a toblerone and drink a diet coke every single day at about 11:30 instead of eating lunch.

Amy Winehouse is another of my guilty pleasures - she cracks me up and I love her music- but she sets such a bad example.

Steel cut oatmeal is a coarser oatmeal.

A whole oat is a groat.

Then there's steel cut.

Then there's instant.
Instant oatmeal cooks so quickly because it's been pressed into flat little disks.
Steel cut is more like an actual piece of grain.

I like it, but it can be gummier. It's got enough consistancy that you can form it into patties when it's cold and fry it up into oat cakes.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:10 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
When I get home, or get up on the weekend, I like to just put on a big extra large mens tshirt and my underwear. That's not unusual in itself, but I'll put it one backwards and inside out if that's how it got picked up. In fact, that's ow I like it best, inside out. I'll put one one that's got paint or old food stains on it and not think twice.

The technical term is "snack outfit" or "cookie pants" .

I don't do the bed thing either unless guests are coming and I might have to use the bed as horitzontal closet space.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:13 pm
Jug wine.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:13 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I like it, but it can be gummier. It's got enough consistancy that you can form it into patties when it's cold and fry it up into oat cakes.

It's actually pretty good, especially if you add some real cream and maple syrup. I do the patty thing too and treat them pancakes.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:14 pm
@George,
With or without a glass?
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:16 pm
@aidan,
Quote:

STEEL CUT OATS are the "first pressing " of the oat . It produces a texture that is an acquired taste by those with refined tatstes and a penchant for being bullshat by those creepy health dudes that show up on PBS everytime they are trying to raise money and they tell you that these are the guys that everyone wants to hear. SUch a lod of ****.

My guilty pleasure is HOT CHOCOLATE, reaally thick and smothered in whup cream.

I also like to make sopapillas or funnel cakes and eatem with powdered sugar so thick that you get it in your lungs and youre coughing up sweet spit for a week.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:21 pm
@chai2,
I watch plenty of TV but none of those shows where these assholes try to sing like Bett Midler or Shania Twain.

I like the ballroom dancing on PBS its like a strip show and the guys gettin some on the floor. I also will watch anything about gardening, even if its about growing molds.
ANtique Roadshow is my idea of a good evenings entertainment and I used to watch Mythbusters religiously until they began stretching their shows out with only one "blowemup" item per show interspersed by these three peons who get to investigate whether they can shock each other with cat fur and glass rods. (SO 6th grade)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah - FUNNEL CAKES!!! But I can never decide if I want them with just powdered sugar or a mixture of sugar and cinnamon - and I always forget which I like better because I only have them once a year when I go down the shore to the boardwalk.
I thought for like five minutes I'd get addicted to fried oreos - but I tried them and they just weren't worth the calories - funnel cakes beat them by a mile.

*so steel cut oatmeal is different from regular five minute to cook oatmeal - not instant- I can't remember the name of the brand in the US with the old man in the round carton.
Here they have scotch oats in a box - they're not instant you do have to cook them - but I don't know if they're steel cut or not.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:36 pm
@Green Witch,
Yeah my husband might kill me if he found out I told others he was watching.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:08 pm
@chai2,
I NEVER make the bed unless I'm changing sheets. I mean, why bother? Nobody sees it and you're just going to get back into it.

Sometimes I don't hang up my clothes either. I just throw them over the hat rack in the hallway Smile or over the arm of the couch or back of a chai. I mean chair. Whatever. As long as they're not on the floor, who cares where they're hung?

I'm a Food network fan and also love to watch the Biggest Loser shows(when I come across it) or Clean Sweep kind of stuff (again, when I come across it)... and Project Runway, etc kind of shows are entertaining Smile I never know when anything is on, even CSI (one of my faves) and I actually don't watch much tv, but I will get into those cooking shows, big time.