Top 5 Musicians of All-Time

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 04:40 pm
1.)Zakk Wylde

That is the only one that matters to me....but i am eager to hear your opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,270 • Replies: 34
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 05:24 pm
Obviously you are talking in the Rock genre so

Steve Howe
Steve Vai
Chris Squire
John Bonham
Jimi Hendrix
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 07:13 pm
NO NO NO!

Don't feel you have to come with Rock musicians. Come with the best Musicians, period.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:10 pm
hmm. I'm not familiar with all of the musicians in time. So I'll name some of the essentials:

Betthoven
Mozart
Jimi Hendrix
Bjork
Tori Amos
Duke Ellington/Muddy waters
Nine Inch Nails
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull

(for lyrics)
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Neil Young
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:14 pm
Are you seriously putting Tori Amos in the same catagory as Beethoven??
0 Replies

tatugurl03

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:26 pm
hey! ok don't rat out on Daniel Bedingfield who was #3 for the best male british pop song lyrics for MTV so there BEAT THAT! (just kidding) but he really did win the MTV thingy!

-tatugurl03
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:45 pm
Man, this is a tough one without genres included...I would consider, let's say, Mozart (going on Portal Star's post) a better musician than Beethoven, but perhaps not as good a composer, although prolific, and well-respected. John McLaughlin is my favorite guitar player, all styles. Erm, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is the true king of Kawalli, Paddy Keenan is my favorite uillean piper, and Miles Davis probably my favorite jazz dude, with John Coltrane a close second.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:54 pm
If you are speaking of musicianship of classical composers. I believe you should include Liszt and Schumann.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:58 pm
I would also like to include the dumb guy with HUGE and ugly mouth from guitar world. He had the "perfect pitch"

Oh yeah, and Ponytail guy from the older SNL episodes. I think his name is G.E. Wells, or something like that. He could really play, and make odd faces.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:00 pm
Holy crap flyboy, Liszt was an awesome musician/composer....not a big Schumann fan, but Chopin should be on the list too. In terms of musicianship in the classical (a misused term) arena, I would also throw in Bach and Pagannini.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:03 pm
Hey Child, I'm sure you know that Yngwie cites Bach and Pagannini as major influences....Pag is mostly known for his violin compositions, but did you know he also played guitar? Very cool....
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:15 pm
Cav, no argument with any of your comments. I was using the term "classical" as it would be understood by most regulars at Avery Fisher or Carnegie Halls.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:27 pm
I can't really tell about number 1 to 5, but definitively, number 6 is:
Johann Sebastian Mastropiero.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:34 pm
No problem flyboy, I got that. How did 'classical' become an all-encompassing term for centuries of music anyway? Personally, I have no clue. fbaezer, what was the name of the Argentinian band with all the homemade instruments again? I want to check out their stuff.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:51 pm
Les Luthiers.
www.leslu.com

Most of their music was composed, precisely, by Johann Sebastian Mastropiero.
You can find his works at:
www.mastropiero.net

Johann Sebastian Mastropiero was born on February 7th, but historians differ about the year. They also differ about the century.

I digress...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:10 pm
Thanks fbaezer!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:46 pm
Cav, I can't answer how the term "classical" became broadened in usage anymore than I can explain, as was pointed out on another thread, that the term "antisemitic" became narrowed (anti Jewish not anti Jewish and anti Arab).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:51 pm
Well flyboy, I have no clue what thread you are referring to, but I appreciate the reference, being Jewish and all...good question....'semetic' is not technically 'Jewish'.....if you have the link, I'll pop in to take a look. I am so digressing....

Getting back to music....Brian Eno and Trent Reznor, not just for their musical talents, but for their skills as producers as well.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:16 pm
I really don't like Yngwie, he's always seemed like an A-Hole.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:18 pm
To me, Yngwie always sounded like he was just repeating scales and arpeggios ad nauseam, fast and technichally sound, but completely boring.
0 Replies