Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:23 pm
So I'm in Barnes and Noble yesterday and I'm looking through the news mags and I come across the HBR. I've seen this mag before and had read a few articles in the store and liked what I read.

Anyway, I noticed that there is a $18 cover price on this particular magazine and NOW I'm wondering if there are some pearls of wisdom that I've been missing. The subscription price is $99 for 12 issues, so that's a little better.

Does anyone here read that magazine regularly and if so, do you recommend it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,174 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:35 pm
@maporsche,
My old boss at the title company, the CFO, used to subscribe to it and read it judiciously even though he was a Standford grad. He also subscribed to the Wall Street Journal. He'd scan the Journal on a daily basis but would often distribute copies of articles from the Review with annotated notes to board members and other management types in the company.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:36 pm
I read it years ago when my company paid for the subscription. Some of it is very dull, but informative. You can read a lot of it on-line:

http://hbr.harvardbusiness.org/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:41 pm
perhaps you can satisfy your curiosity with the online site first before you
commit to the subscription, maporsche. Their website is interesting.

http://hbr.harvardbusiness.org/

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:05 pm
I read it because it proposes some really nifty connectivities among disparate things. However, I read Barrons for good solid economic advice , thus keeping me from making very dumb mistakes.

0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:51 pm
It's a damn funny thing, but I just happen to have a copy right next to me. I 'borrowed' it from a colleague at work who is off on sick-leave big time. A good quality publication that lacks ads in the last section encouraging you to find out about catholicism or join the rosicrucians.

Point one: If you work in a largish office or a big organisation, they will probably have a corporate subscription you can access.
Point two: Your public library will have it.
Point three: I don't know so much about the US tax code, but in Oz any materials bought that relate to your work are tax-deductable (subscriptions to trade magazines, membership of industry groups and self-education)

If you feel that it has some relevance to your situation, go ahead and subscribe.
0 Replies