Tommy Chong jailed for selling bongs..............

Ceili

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 09:20 pm
COMEDIAN TOMMY CHONG GETS NINE MONTHS IN JAIL

Pittsburg - Tommy Chong, who played one half of the dope-smoking duo in the Cheech and Chong movies, asked for leniency from a judge Thursday but was sentenced to nine months in prison for conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia.

Chong's lawyers argued for no jail time, saying the Edmonton-born actor and comedian would use his celebrity to become a role model against drugs and would dedicate his life to public service. The 65-year-old apologized to the court and his family, saying he "got carried away" with his movie character.

U.S. District Judge Arthur J. Schwab imposed the sentence, which included a $20,000 fine.

Chong, father of actor Rae Dawn Chong, said he's been working with youth groups, teaching filmmaking and speaking against drug use. But Assistant U.S. Attorney Mary Houghton said Chong grew wealthy glamorizing drug use and trivializing law enforcement in his films of the late 1970s and early '80s. Houghton also said Chong used the movie persona to promote his catalogue and Internet business.

Chong's lawyers said the actor already has been punished: the case cost him a recurring role on the Fox sitcom That '70s Show and a planned reunion movie with Cheech Marin, with whom he co-starred in comedies including Up in Smoke.

Along with the fine, Chong must forfeit more than $103,000 US. He'll also be on probation for a year after his release. The business, though defunct, was placed on probation for three years and its Internet domain name must be relinquished to federal authorities, along with any remaining paraphernalia.
http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v03/n1381/a03.html?999
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,011 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:09 pm
Imagine the fines the CIA would get if they weren't sanctioned by the US government.
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:24 am
lame!
This kind of thing is outragious. Its just another attempt by the man to keep us down. well get him out.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:17 am
This really ticks me off. They'll lock up people for anything these days. Where is that so called freedom? Damn stupid laws!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:20 am
I think this is totally ridiculous as well. They haven't found Osama, but they are locking up Tommy Chong. Misguided bastards. Thankfully, I'm Canadian. Anyone who reads the news will know we don't have this sort of insanity here anymore. My question is, what happened to all the dude's cash from the Cheech and Chong flicks that he has to sell bongs on the internet? That Cheech and Chong franchise must have been one raw deal...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:32 am
Just yesterday BBB posted an article stating that the United States is the worlds leading arm selling nation. What kills more people guns or ganja???
The hypocracy of the american government is absolutly unbelievable. You'd think they hac Jean Cretien disease.
Ceili
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:19 pm
What nonsense- Doesn't the government have anything better to do? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 06:28 pm
yeah
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What nonsense- Doesn't the government have anything better to do? Evil or Very Mad

Apparentially not, if they are waisting thier time busting domestic pot heads here at home.

Im afraid Ill meat that same fate some time in my future. Im not gonna let fear stop me though. I mean its just to harmless to be such a "demonic" substance. I would argue that either legalize pot or prohibit alchol(worse for you and society)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 07:55 pm
He wasn't selling pot. I find this odd, it's legal to sell bongs as long as you pretend that it's for tabacco (and some people do, indeed, use bongs for tabacco).
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:13 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
He wasn't selling pot. I find this odd, it's legal to sell bongs as long as you pretend that it's for tabacco (and some people do, indeed, use bongs for tabacco).

Actually they were like, "No one smokes tobacco out of these things"

They even busted another shop that gave tobacco away with the bongs.

They say, "We know what this things are for and lieing about it wont keep you out of trouble"

These guys are gigantic assholes led by the **** tossing monkey-bush

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:58 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5631&highlight=

Wilso:
"Maybe bestiality, since Bush Jnr must be half monkey. "

Montana

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:13 pm
Craven. I believe the laws are different for that in every state. I know that it's not legal to sell them in Mass.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:24 pm
The prosecutorial system in the United states is out of control. The state is prosecuting a mother in Connecticut for child abuse because her 13 year old son was bullied at school until he killed himself. She was a single mother who held two jobs, and they claim her house was messy, and thus she was an unfit mother.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:38 pm
Acquiunk
That doesn't surprise me at all. I was accused of medical neglect for refusing to put my son on Ritalin, which is why I'm living free in Canada!

That poor woman lost her child and now the government is ripping the rest of her guts out!!! Pisses me right off!!!
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 08:51 pm
Montana wrote:
Acquiunk
That doesn't surprise me at all. I was accused of medical neglect for refusing to put my son on Ritalin, which is why I'm living free in Canada!

What, they whanted to persequte you for not feeding him perscription amphetamines.

Absurd.

Maybe I move to Canada too!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:18 pm
bongstar420 wrote:
Montana wrote:
Acquiunk

What, they whanted to persequte you for not feeding him perscription amphetamines.

Absurd.

Maybe I move to Canada too!

What they did threaten to do is take my child away, so I ran as fast as I could strait to the border. It is absurd and I'm glad it's over.
0 Replies

bongstar420

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:28 pm
Probally the best decision.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:33 pm
It was the smartest move I ever made. I didn't know I could be this happy :-D
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:07 am
Montana, did the hurricane miss you? According to the radio Nova Scotia isn't doing to well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:08 am
All we got was some rain and a bit of wind last night, but nothing major. I haven't seen the news yet, but I knew it was heading strait for Nova Scotia.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:33 am
I can't believe that there are any laws in the US prohibiting the sale of paraphenalia. In the UK you can sell anything, except the actual pot. I could walk into the centre here in the ancient (and tourist magnet) city of York and buy bongs, pipes, 12" rolling mats & papers in a variety of colours, ready-made roaches, seeds, hydroponics lights & wool, books about rolling spliffs, growing guides etc etc. They are all either classed as ornaments or are 'not intended to be used for illegal purposes'. What a crazy world we live in...
0 Replies