National Design Museum: Cooper-Hewitt

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:51 am
I checked into Google this morning, and under the box to enter what I want to search is the bit, "Doodle 4 Google: Your child's design could be our logo
and appear in the National Design Museum".

What's that? I say to myself.
So, I googled it.
Turns out it's the Cooper-Hewitt, which I know about but not by the name National Design Museum. I've never been to it but would love to check it out in person on a visit to New York. In the meantime, here's a link:
Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum
Looks like it's connected to the Smithsonian operation.

They have design awards too. I remember them as being much more interesting (to me) than the international design awards that I posted on another thread yesterday.

Any A2kers been there or follow it? I think I remember ehBeth has..

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,199 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:07 am
Never been there...but I appreciate the heads-up...and will probably visit this summer.

INTERESTING: The home page mentions that general admission is $8.00...but seniors and students with ID's only pay $8.00!!!
Green Witch

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
It's worth a trip. It's a short walk up a few blocks from The MMA. This beautiful old mansion gives you an idea how the Robber Barons spent their gold. I like it much better than the Frick Estate, which is rather cold. C-H is a mass of warm wood, large sunny windows and architectural balance that a ancient Greek would envy. A boyfriend once proposed to me in the palm filled Conservatory, but I was 20 years old and the last thing on my mind was marriage. I remember the main exhibit at the time was Mucha posters and drawings.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:31 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
A boyfriend once proposed to me in the palm filled Conservatory, but I was 20 years old and the last thing on my mind was marriage.

What a wonderful remembrance of the place. Loved that story.

Gonna visit this summer...and pay the $8.00.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Cool...

I know this is a present smartie place, the cooper hewitt, but am interested in its history.

I liked the Frick, for my few hours there ever, though I whined about it in my nyc notes.

Anyone remember Tartarin,? She did a painting of the Frick garden that was capturously wonderful. I saw it for seconds and sent the slides back to her, not even trying to reproduce/photocopy, a certain trust. Wish I could.

But I'll always think of the Frick re Tartarin.
But also Roberta.
Plus me, I was there, blindish stranger in a land of audio crappologrande.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Tartarin was McBean on abuzz - not sure of the spelling.

Woman with major woof.

0 Replies