Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 10:07 pm
How can I cook/prepare/eat sole and cod so that it does not stink up the house, and stink up at work? We buy it fresh from the store in them foam-backed, clear-covered packages.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,337 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 05:04 am
At home, bake it in the oven, probably with a lower temp (but for longer) than you'd think. It's usually very high heat that causes smoking, hence smells permeate more.

Oh and the foam packaged stuff may not be 100% fresh. Can you go to a market instead? You need not get it right off the boat but if it's in a packet then the temps may have varied while it was being stored. Fish that is less than perfectly fresh can get funky fast.

As for work, bring it in fully cooked and just reheat it in the microwave.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 07:49 am
@jespah,
I agreem the fresher the fish the less odor there is. Although, it always has a smell when cooked. You might want to make cold fish salads and not heat it up at work. Heat activates the odor.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:21 pm
Try poaching. Here's a video How-To. http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/How-to-Poach-Fish-Video/Detail.aspx
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 03:58 pm
Thanks all, I'll give the fish market a shot and try the cooking methods suggested!
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 05:40 pm
I cook outside on the grill to prevent just this.

I heard that boiling water next to the cooking frying will absorb the oils that are given off when the fish is cooking.

Also, soaking the fish in milk helps.

I bake tilapia in Zataranis's fish breading, and it's great if you like it a little spicy breading.
Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:22 pm
@sullyfish6,
Cool
0 Replies