28 baby girls found in suitcases

Green Witch

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:11 am
@Setanta,
Why are you being so mean? I was not implying others have no right to be here. I was responding to djj's finger pointing at Canadians and Australians. You are really taking the term "Native Americans" and putting your own stamp on it. Call yourself whatever you want, but around here if you say you are Native American people will ask "which tribe?". I live near a large population of Senecas who refer to themselves as "Reds" when talking to each other and as "Native Americans" when talking to non-Senecas. They refer to people like us as "boat people". If you have a problem with that I suggest you take it up with them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:14 am
As for being mean, you were the one who made a comment about my "panties," so you shouldn't now whine about being paid in your own coin.

I am responding as i am to your use of a wholely ridiculous term, "native humanity." I am not taking it up with any Senecas because there aren't any, to my knowledge, active in this thread. If i met any Seneca shithook who called me and my ancestors boat people, i'd tell to kiss my red Irish ass.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:17 am
By the way, read the journals of the members of the Lewis and Clark expedition some time--the Amerindians were selling their women, and pubescent girls, centuries ago--you know, your noble savages, the poor innocent victims of the wily and cruel white man?
Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 08:53 am
I also have a good friend who adopted from China just recently. If you go through the proper channels and through a legit agency, it takes years for the adoption. So my guess is you can get a baby quicker, and if you do, it is more likely one that is smuggled. Either that or you are a celebrity.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:22 am
@Setanta,
You are such a snotty little whiner, Set. Poor little Set, everybody's always pickin' on him.

Quote:
I am responding as i am to your use of a wholely [sic] ridiculous term, "native humanity."

Everybody knew exactly what GreenWitch meant. You're not competent to decide what is or is not a ridiculous term. You are, however, entitled to your ridiculous opinion.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 07:07 pm
@JTT,
You are certainly on a roll today.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:49 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
the Amerindians were selling their women, and pubescent girls, centuries ago

And you don't believe that every other culture was doing the same thing.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 12:19 am
I think the most stupid speak the yanks do is to call the blacks "African Americans " the blacks do as well... but you never hear them say I'm a British American or a Irish American- German American, bloody stupid if you are born there you are American end of story.
djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 06:22 am
@tenderfoot,
while not as widespread as "african american", some other people have and do identify them selves similarly, the reason i feel most african americans use this term is a chance to define themselves for the first time in along time, they were not citizens, their descendants were property, and even after the civil war it took another hundred years to get the full rights they have today, and in that time they were defined by others, negro, black, coloured and other terms

should they move on, yes, will they anytime soon, probably not, but some of the attitudes that need are not exclusive of the african american society
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 02:02 pm
@tenderfoot,
It is very common for Americans, in the context of a discussion of one's origins, to refer to themselves as Irish-American, Italian-American, German-American, etc. Bloody stupid to make invidious remarks about people when you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:07 pm
Yeah Santana-- that would make it another stupid thing to do, in most countries I've been to, if the conservation does come up, I hear people state that they were born in such and such a country not the crap you came up with.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
@tenderfoot,
Try to spell my name correctly--it shouldn't be that hard, considering the font size.

Among the "most countries i've been to," do you include the United States? Your remark was about Americans. I'm a native of this country, and for over half a century, i've heard Americans refer to themselves in that manner, no matter what bullshit you allege about how people speak in other countries. In fact, it is so common for Americans to speak of themselves in that manner, that there's even a special term for it, "hyphenated Americans."

Now, this is specifically what you wrote:

Quote:
. . . but you never hear them say I'm a British American or a Irish American- German American, bloody stupid if you are born there you are American end of story.

Your remarks were about Americans, not what people in "most other countries i've been to" do in this regard.

Once again, it's bloody stupid to make comments about other people and other countries when you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:29 pm
Sun tana... sorry about the spellings.

As JTT said... Quote - You're not competent to decide what is or is not a ridiculous term. You are, however, entitled to your ridiculous opinion. - Unquote.
JTT

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:56 pm
@tenderfoot,
Well, what I wrote didn't actually pertain to this particular issue, TF. On this, Set is right, at least in regards to whether is happens or not. As to whether it's dumb, I don't see why it would be.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:31 pm
@tenderfoot,
Looks like you need to get around a bit more there kid.

Afro-Canadian, Italian-American ... that kind of terminology's pretty standard with Canadians as well as people living in the U.S. I hope it's dying out as a way of self-identification, but it's still quite common among some populations here.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:42 pm
@tenderfoot,
tenderfoot wrote:

Yeah Santana-- that would make it another stupid thing to do, in most countries I've been to, if the conservation does come up, I hear people state that they were born in such and such a country not the crap you came up with.

As unusual as it may be, I agree with Setanta in this case. Many people not only indicate their country of birth but their heritage along with it. I don't know what countries you have been to but you obviously have not been to the United States or Canada.
0 Replies