Eating Chinese Food With Chopsticks

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 03:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Since 14 years of age, our Family frequented one chinese restaurant every birthday, every Mother's Day until a couple of years ago, when they changed ownership.. I was bought up therefore pretty much to always use chopsticks.

It was fun. But, I appreciate now savouring each small amount I eat at a time with them.

The irony is last night we went out for dinner locally, a friend and me and I completely forgot about chopsticks no wonder I didn't enjoy it as much:)

How could I do that after like 30 years? Must have been the wine I was enjoying.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 04:09 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Some places don't offer them - here in Albuquerque, for example, where you have to ask, in my small experience with the few chinese restaurants here where I've moved to fairly recently.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 04:12 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
It's goofy I know - but I carry a pair a friend bought for me. They are always in my purse - in their carrying case. Smile I have had many a person ask me why. I don't know why. I just want them in case I need them.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:03 pm
@mismi,
Lol's... Not Goofy, smart...

Ossobucco, that's true, now that I think about it, they aren't on the table, and they weren't offered to me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 05:45 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
In my case there is a certain irony (or at least perplexity) for a person who is something of a chinese food maven from the metropolitan LA area (great restaurants/dim sum parlors, grocery stores, etc., sob) to move to a place where the restaurants present flatware because people are chary of chopsticks. That might have happened in LA in the touristy spots but we never went to those so I dunno. I think even then they would have had the inexpensive chopstick packages in a jar on the table.

Not that New Mexico is sans food interest - it's a food culture of its own with relatively small chinese, vietnamese, japanese populations.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:05 pm
I’ve used chopsticks since I was a kid. I own several sets of chopsticks. Every now and then I will bring them out, Marco makes an awesome homemade stir-fry. Antonio is five and he’s already a pro with his.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2011 06:22 pm
The chopsticks I still have are japanese, purchased from a selection at my last home town local co-op within the last ten years.

Difference between chinese and japanese chopsticks:

http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/chopsticks.htm

A favorite store of mine back in the day was Yamaguchi's in Sawtelle (west LA). They have just about everything anyone needs - work pants for gardeners et al, paper goods for decor, all manner of dishes, lots of kitchen devices, woks, a selection of superior knives. Also a nursery with a famous bonsai display.
Key place then to get nifty chopsticks.
0 Replies

Kimaya

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 11:21 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I still can't eat with sticks but i will one day. I don't think it make any difference its just every food has its own way of eating so has chinese too.
0 Replies

Kimaya

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 12:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
I still can't manage to eat Chinese with chopsticks its quite tough.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 08:14 am
@Kimaya,

practice, practice, practice...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 04:10 pm

http://25.media.tumblr.com/5358af97a7277edb0de0acc0fc38364f/tumblr_midnngfxf91r0wqrdo1_500.jpg
JTT

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 05:58 pm
@Region Philbis,
Kantan da yo!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2018 02:32 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2018 07:27 am
@tsarstepan,
farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2018 07:40 am
@tsarstepan,
An observation from seeing people in SE Asia who use chopstix. Some folks hold enm high up the stick and spme hold em really low down. Any value in each one.
I know if you hold em high you can clandestinely grab a shrimp of your partners serving.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2018 06:30 pm
I wonder if anyone who lives in an Asian country ever says "Hey, eat with this fork. It's Fun!"
glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2018 09:32 pm
@chai2,
Hahahahahahahahhaha made me laugh
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 05:18 am
According to an acquaintance of mine, who grew up with a Thai kid, and went to Thailand with him on several occasions, the Thais don't use chopsticks. When I go to The Thai Wok, a local restaurant, where the counter staff are teenagers, I see people ask for chopsticks. The kid at the counter invariably rolls his or her eyes, puts about a half-dozen pairs of those cheap wooden chopsticks on the counter and takes the order back to the kitchen. Most places, of course, are more discrete.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 07:02 am
http://netdna.coolthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/forkchops1.jpg

https://alexnld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/f315705d-c448-42cd-b5ca-1e92bf9b6232.jpg
0 Replies

backwards

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2019 03:45 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yeah, chopstick rules. It makes me appreciate the food more.
0 Replies