US Postal Service To Reduce Mail Delivery to 5 Days?

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:24 pm
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gqqgvhH9thqoHsLW2kOE_hL18jGA

Crisis-hit US mail may cut one delivery day
5 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) " Battered by the global economic meltdown, the US Postal Service asked Congress Wednesday to allow it to cut mail delivery to five days per week from a legally required six days.

Postmaster General John Potter pleaded with a Senate committee to permit his agency "to curtail delivery on our lightest volume days, no more than one day per week."

"If current trends continue, we could experience a net loss of six billion dollars or more this fiscal year despite the most aggressive effort in our history to take cost out of our system," he said in testimony to the panel.

Plummeting volume -- notably in the finance, credit and housing sectors -- as well as soaring fuel costs and other outlays have left the US Postal Service in dire financial shape, Potter said.

"The ability to suspend delivery on the lightest delivery days will save dollars in both our delivery and our processing and distribution networks. I do not make this request lightly, but I am forced to consider every option, given the severity of our challenge," he added.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,384 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 11:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Seems to me they are looking at the problem all ass backwards.

I get mail delivery 25 out of 30 days and I can honestly say that only 5 of those days contain bills and catalogs that I already get delivered online; and personal letters. The other 20 days the box is full of junk bulk mail that goes from the mail box directly to the trash barrel the apartment manager put near the mailboxes for the purpose. It is so bad that I don't even bother checking my mailbox more than once a week and I only do it that frequently to make room for the additional crap that will be delivered.

The postal service could save a huge amount of money on gasoline, vehicle repairs, sorting systems, and labor by cutting way way back on the amount of trash they stuff into our mailboxes.

NickFun

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:11 am
One more day I won't have to worry about bills. I say make it three days per week.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 02:11 am
@Butrflynet,
I been paying my bills mostly online for a number of years saving on ever increasing postage rates.

Now that I had purchase a second computer I am feeling comfortable enough to stop the mail delivery of most of my bills also.

The post office did this mostly to themselves with their rates increases.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:18 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
The postal service could save a huge amount of money on gasoline, vehicle repairs, sorting systems, and labor by cutting way way back on the amount of trash they stuff into our mailboxes.

Actually that might be the only thing keeping the PO going at this point. Those junk mailers pay for all that mail to be delivered. Maybe the PO should just increase the charges on Junk Mail. That would reduce the volume and increase their revenues.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:41 am
I like the idea of 5 day delivery. I pay my bills online. The fine art of letter writing and birthday cards is now demonstrated in emails. The only mail I receive is junk. Thanks to the current economy and the behavior of yahoos at certain places, even my credit card offers are now greatly reduced. (HURRAY)

Agree that if not for junk mail there may be no mail at all. Junk mailers are probably the main supporters of the PO at this time, which also means jobs for advertising companies, printers, photographers, ad writers, etc. They can adjust their production time to make sure the sale flier arrives before the "Huge Blowout!" if Tuesday delivery stops.

Used to be that a job at the PO was golden. Don't know if that is still the case. A lot of our delivery is now sub-contracted.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:37 am
I wish they'd cut down to three days also.

I also wish they'd raise the price of delivering all that flyer **** by double...and that ever municipality in the country pass a law making it a captial crime to distribute that kind of junk by throwing it out of a car window onto a lawn or driveway!
0 Replies