What are some of the most potent and effective martial arts in the world?

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:42 pm
anything you know about that is known widely to be effective, just blurt out whatever.

im just reading up on the subject, cant find anything really definitive..

looking mainly for hand to hand combat, but anything where the "defender"(the person who knows the style) has no weapon is fine. (fighting someone with a knife, gun, etc..)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,705 • Replies: 19
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:43 pm
@OGIONIK,
boxing,
wrestling,
muay thai,
brazilian jiu jitsu
tae kwon do

etc..
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 10:50 pm
@OGIONIK,
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Krav Maga are a lot more effective than anything else on your lists.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:06 pm
@OGIONIK,
High altitude daylight precision bombing.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:07 pm
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
looking mainly for hand to hand combat, but anything where the "defender"(the person who knows the style) has no weapon is fine. (fighting someone with a knife, gun, etc..)...

Don't bring karate to a gunfight.....
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Krav Maga are a lot more effective than anything else on your lists.

Krav Maga wins IMO. BJJ is amazing in 1-on-1, but it's bad if you have multiple aggressors. KM maybe less effective 1-on-1, but still excellent, certainly superior in survival situation with more than one person attacking you.

But the above is defining potent and effective in terms of fighting. As a martial artist, I personally believe that potency must be defined more in terms of safety and situational awareness. It's also not about the technique either. I believe it comes down to the individual's discipline. For that, I think a disciplined martial artist of any style is the best.

I love the athletes of the UFC and everything, but I worry that a new culture is developing around MMA that promotes fighting over all else. I remember when I was learning simple Taekwondo how worried I felt that I could hurt someone, and frankly how easy it was. I developed a better respect for using my mind instead of might because I did not like to hurt others.

Today, I appreciate martial arts more for the sport and athleticism.
K
O
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:25 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
Krav Maga wins IMO. BJJ is amazing in 1-on-1, but it's bad if you have multiple aggressors. KM maybe less effective 1-on-1, but still excellent, certainly superior in survival situation with more than one person attacking you.

I agree with your first sentence, but I don't actually think Jiu-Jitsu is more effective one-on-one either. But Krav Maga isn't really a martial art (it's not even a sport), incorportates Jiu-Jitsu itself, and uses weapons.

If he wants a sport to practice, I think he should go for Jiu -Jitsu, but if he just wants an answer I'd say it's Krav Maga and other nameless military training programs that have the aim of being effective more than being an art or a sport.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
KM scares the **** out of me. Yeah it includes parts of jujitsu, but I give the 1:1 advantage to BJJ because of what KM leaves out. You're right, it's a system based on being effective, part of that it sacrificing certain aspects of 1:1 dominance to maintain larger peripheral situational awareness.

But that's just my opinion. I'd like to fight neither of the two.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 02:26 am
All of these fade into insignificance when pitted against the ancient Lancastrian art of Ecky Thump (belting t' tripe out of mitherin' clutterbucks with black puddings!)

Grand Master Eh By Gumm...
http://i.pbase.com/u32/bankst/upload/22245288.GrandMasterOfEckyThump.jpg
..and he weren't haf grand...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:53 am
Yes but what if you r attacked by a brigand brandishing FRESH FRUIT??
farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:54 am
@farmerman,
Im gonna say ISOTOPE-FU
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 06:58 am
haiku, very hard to master, requires much patience and discipline
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:07 am
being a mind reader is one of the toughest marital arts to master
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 07:14 am
@OGIONIK,
My instructors used to say, "all skills being equal, whoever is in better shape will win" (usually right before making us do a gazillion push-ups).
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:12 am
Then again, this might be what some of you are looking for:

http://learntodefend.com/

This is the most believable system of real-world self defense I've seen so far.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 09:53 am
If you want to take it to the head with panache you want one of these ..... also it helps to be a BMF
http://slugger.com/
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:40 am
I remember reading that Bruce Lee believed that the creativity of the fighter is more important than any established style. Bruce Lee borrowed from all styles of martial arts. He studied films of Muhammad Ali and copied the way Ali danced around the boxing ring. Bruce Lee also had an uncanny ability to dodge his opponent's moves.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:02 am
Akido. From a defensive point of view.

I know a Japanese lady who has more power in her then you can imagine, and I don't think you could knock her over. I don't think anyone could.

Cycloptichorn
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:37 am
@Diest TKO,
krav maga, i was gonna add that to my list but it slipped my mind.

hrmm, yay.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
i am looking into taking bjj classes, i just need a stable and semi decent paying job first.

0 Replies