IS M OBAMA GONNA OUTSHINE JACKIE O AS THE FASHION ICON OF THE WHITE

Sglass

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:57 pm
Of the two which do you think has the most fashion sense? Of the two who do you think can strut down the runway of the White House and say "look at me and everyone looks".

Granted, there were some rather dowdy, conservative first ladies who looked like they dressed off the racks of Sears & Roebuck or J.C. Penny.

Let's hear your take ladies.

Sglass

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:06 pm
@Sglass,
Good lord did I screw up. That was supposed to read icon of the White House. I couldn't edit it.
roger

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:20 pm
@Sglass,
Laughing I knew what you meant. I don't follow styles, but like Jacki, it's quite possible she will end up defining style.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 12:04 am
Jackie was Jackie.
Michelle is Michelle.
Jackie is and will always be a fashion icon while Michelle has the unique privilege of becoming one. With an additional four, maybe five inches in height to boot. Very Happy
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:46 am
I think she's classy and my sister is always raving about her style. It seems certainly noteworthy.

T
K
O
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:46 am
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Good lord did I screw up. That was supposed to read icon of the White House. I couldn't edit it.

Ayup. Gave me a good chuckle, though.
Magginkat

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 12:53 pm
If she wants to be a fashion icon, she had better dump the person who made that red and black monstrosity that she wore on election night. In several pictures that red blob on the front of the dress was photographed at an angle that made it look like a preganancy gone bad.
Sglass

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:24 pm
@DrewDad,
oh those freudian slips
Sglass

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 02:59 am
@Sglass,
Well that fell on it's face. We could talk about Nancy Reagan's outfits. I understand she consulted the stars every day to see what she was going to wear.

What first lady do you think had the most fun being first lady?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:58 am
@Magginkat,
I agree. That dress was a disaster, totally tasteless. The point is, maybe she wants to be a fashion icon, but to what population? I am sure that Jackie O would not have been caught dead in a dress like that. But some of the gals on MTV might!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:06 am
In case anybody missed it, it is featured in this clip, but Fox News features an expert who is quite complimentary re Michelle's fashion sense:

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:28 am
I liked the Narciso Rodriguez dress. I see I'm alone in this...
Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:38 am
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:
Of the two which do you think has the most fashion sense?

If Michelle Obama's election night dress is a sign of fashion to come, definitely Jackie Kennedy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 10:31 am
@ossobuco,
I like the dress itself. Too bad she didn't consult with someone about what to wear over it once it got cold - that black cardigan wasn't a good idea.

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was a style icon, not a fashion icon.

IMNSHO, Ms. Obama has style potential at this point. She's a lovely woman. Lovely and tall. She needs to get over not wearing heels - or alter some of her wardrobe choices.
eoe

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 10:42 am
@ossobuco,
I didn't care for that particular dress either but I wouldn't go as far as to call it totally tasteless. It simply didn't appeal to me. Even more, I really didn't care for little Sasha dressed in black. It's such a harsh color for a little girl. She looked like Johnny Cash. Or Wednesday Addams.

And for the record, as much as I adored Jackie KO and her impeccable fashion sense, I didn't like EVERYTHING she wore either. The dress she married Onassis in, although a Valentino original was, IMO, childish and very inappropriate for a woman her age and stature, marrying for the second time. It was white lace with a high collar and puff sleeves, cut above the knee and then she had this big pollyanna-like ribbon clipped to the back of her head which looked ridiculous. I was only a kid back then but I remember being very disappointed by it. It looked as if she was trying to dress the part of a young ingenue. Not a sophisticated and worldly widow with two children. And it's funny. I spent almost half an hour just now looking for a shot of it and there aren't any on the web that show the dress in full. Oops. I'll bet I wasn't the only one who thought it was a dreadful choice.

But I forgave Jackie for that dress. Everyone commits a fashion faux pas at least once.
Sglass

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 07:00 pm
@eoe,
I think that it is hard to dress a petite woman. Just not enough of them to hang threads on and really be fashionable. But Jackie O did have style. It made up for the fact that she was not a pretty women.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 07:13 pm
I just spent a good number of minutes this evening reading posts on the Sartorialist about irons and ironing at its best.
Personally, I've stopped all that and acclimated to wrinkles. First got a clue from a movie director friend who wore entirely wrinkled shirts, and a structural engineer friend, highly placed, I might add, who wore a wrinkled dress to fly to europe. Both of those were gobsmackers but gave me an eeense of room re the ironing thing.

I've a collection of wrinkled linen shirts, that is, linen shirts hung up right out of the dryer. I don't wear them to dress events, but then I don't go to many of those.

So - while I remain possibly amused by fashion, and more thoroughly interested in style, I'm as happy with non style. I suppose by now I'm more interested in idiosyncracy. Probably not a good thing for a president's wife, past a certain level of play.
Sglass

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 06:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm with you Osso on that one. If it dont go to the cleaners, it dont get ironed.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:53 am
I thought it was an ugly dress and looked awful on her. It will be interesting after all the negative comments what she wears on inauguration day. (aren't we all just a bit shallow... but I'll be waiting with interest just the same?) I never noticed how tall she is or the fact she never wears high heels. Wonder if she would be taller than Obama if she did wear heels and that is a deciding factor in the decision not to wear them? Somehow I can't see Obama being hung on something like that, but you never know; probably advice from their handlers.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 09:01 am
@revel,
I think I've seen her with high heels, photographed leaving a chicago restaurant in the rain - er, speaking of shallow.

1. Forums
  2. » IS M OBAMA GONNA OUTSHINE JACKIE O AS THE FASHION ICON OF THE WHITE
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:32:16